Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

2019 Coaching Carousel

It's that time of year again.  As a reminder, I will update all official changes in this post, feel free to post any speculation you want in the thread and any news relating to interviews can be centralized, but until a firing/hiring is officially announced on NFL.com or a team's website I will not update this post.  Here we go:

Team - Old Coach - New Coach (2018 position)

Bengals - Marvin Lewis - Zac Taylor (Rams QB Coach)

Broncos - Vance Joseph - Vic Fangio (Bears DC)

Browns - Hue Jackson - Freddie Kitchens (Browns RB Coach, interim OC)

Buccaneers - Dirk Koetter - Bruce Arians (None, retired as Cardinals HC after 2017 season)

Cardinals - Steve Wilks - Kliff Kingsbury (Texas Tech HC)

Dolphins - Adam Gase - Brian Flores (Patriots DC)

Jets - Todd Bowles - Adam Gase (Dolphins HC)

Packers - Mike McCarthy - Matt LaFleur (Titans OC)

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

I will note in a second post that I have seen the articles about the Cardinals getting rid of Steve Wilks, including him telling players he was going to be gone, but I haven't seen anything official so it's not going in the OP just yet

EDIT: Of course, within half an hour of posting this it's on NFL.com as official, OP is updated

Edited by oochymp

Names that have been mentioned for interviews...

Former :Packers: HC Mike McCarthy

Former :dolphins: HC Adam Gase

Former :Broncos: HC Vance Joseph

USC OC Kliff Kingsbury

:Pats: DC Brian Flores

Northwestern HC Pat Fitzgerald

:Saints: TEs Coach Dan Campbell

:dolphins: STs Coordinator Darren Rizzi

:Rams: QBs Coach Zac Taylor

:Broncos: FO Gary Kubiak

:Pats: OC Josh McDaniels

:Bears: DC Vic Fangio

Former :Colts: HC Chuck Pagano

Former :Lions: HC Jim Caldwell

:Rams: Pass-Game Coordinator Shane Waldron

:Cowboys: DBs Coach Kris Richard

Iowa State HC Matt Campbell

:Chiefs: OC Eric Bieniemy

:Steelers:OL Coach Mike Munchak

:Bucs:OC Todd Monken

:Colts: OC Nick Siriani

:Colts: DC Matt Eberflus

Former :Cardinals: HC Bruce Arians

:Titans: OC Matt LaFleur

I don't understand how someone that just failed pretty badly as a first time college coach is getting NFL HC interviews. Like, I get the McVey factor, but it's not like Kliff hasn't had a shot as a head coach. Maybe in a few years, but doing it now makes no sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

Let's see how bad my predictions end up...

:Packers: Josh McDaniels

:Jets: Adam Gase

:Broncos: Vic Fangio

:Bengals: Hue Jackson

:Bucs: Bruce Arians

:Browns: Mike McCarthy

:dolphins: Eric Bieniemy

:Cardinals: Jim Caldwell

Packers strike first... They've offered their HC position to Titans OC Matt LeFleur. 

As I told Sarge, I don't know a ton about his body of work -- but that might be a positive. The guys I did know more about -- I didn't want, so... ha! Apparently Pettine will stay on as DC as well, so I am told -- which I like.. 

2 hours ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Packers strike first... They've offered their HC position to Titans OC Matt LeFleur. 

Wow... Already 0-1 on my prediction! :yao:

A little surprised by this hire. LaFleur has basically parlayed coaching under McVay and Kyle Shanahan into a premier head coaching position after one year of coordinating the Titans.

Tennessee's offense this year under LaFleur ranked 25th in total offense, 29th in passing, and 7th in rushing.

Maybe it will work out for the Pack, but this is a higher risk, against the grain type of hire that could either propel them out of the doldrums that McCarthy put them in, or it's going to end up wasting what's left of Rodgers' career.

I like the LaFleur hire. He wasn't my first choice since he is a bit inexperienced but guess you can't really sit around and wait for guys to become experienced when a quarter of the league is firing coaches. I'll take him over McDaniels anyday and that was who was supposed to be the frontrunner all along.

As for LaFleur, he had a bit of a rough year but look at what he had. A Mariota that suffered nerve damage and couldn't feel the tip of his fingers for a while on his throwing arm, Blaine Gabbert, Walker going down week 1, nobody at WR outside of Corey Davis, and an o-line that was fairly banged up. Hard to hold all that against him.

At the same time, he was with McVay in LA last season, in ATL with Shanahan for Ryan's MVP season, and with Washington when RG3 won ROY. Now is this all due to him? Of course not, but he has had some success. Time to see if he can carry it to Green Bay or if it was all Shanahan and McVay.

Definitely some risk involved but Green Bay needed to take some risk. Playing safe and getting someone like Gase, Pagano, or Caldwell would definitely waste the rest of Rodgers.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

I agree that the Packers needed to take a chance on someone who isn't a retread. Time to see if Lafleur has what it takes to get Aaron to listen to him or not.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/133694/kliff-kingsbury

USC OC Kliff Kingsbury has agreed to become the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.
Kingsbury was a Trojan for one month, in what was one of the oddest marriages in recent memory. There were rumors that Kingsbury was liked by the NFL at the time of his hiring, so putting Kingsbury at offensive coordinator was always a short-term solution. Instead of making Kingsbury the head coach, USC AD Lynn Swann kept HC Clay Helton after a brutal 5-7 season and that decision has came back to bite him. The Trojans are now back where they were a month ago, as a football program capable of competing for CFP appearances but stuck with a subpar coaching staff and led by an inexperienced AD that's shown nothing to make USC fans optimistic about the near future.

Apparently the Broncos are close to deciding as well — supposedly between Fangio and Mike Munchak. 

14 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Apparently the Broncos are close to deciding as well — supposedly between Fangio and Mike Munchak. 

Fangio would be a good hiring and supposedly rumor has it Kubiak would be his OC. Munchak would be an underwhelming hire IMO.

Buccaneers close to signing Bruce Arians as their next head coach. 

5 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Buccaneers close to signing Bruce Arians as their next head coach. 

Official now.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8336/bruce-arians

Bucs hired Bruce Arians as head coach.
The coaching carousel's worst-kept secret is now official. Arians' latest "retirement" ends at one year. Rumored to be eyeing his ex-defensive coordinator Todd Bowles for the same job in Tampa, Arians could oversee a lightning quick turnaround for a franchise that has been adrift since firing Jon Gruden following the 2008 season. Going on 67, Arians is a stubborn, set in his ways head coach, but he likes aggressive defense and even more aggressive offense. That plays in the 2019 NFL. He's an excellent match with a like-minded Jameis Winston, though Winston's turnovers are going to drive Arians up the wall. Reducing them will be Arians' first project on offense. A dud in the broadcast booth, it's good to see Arians back on the sidelines, even though his tenure will likely be brief.

Kingsbury, Arians, and LaFleur have all been announced as official on NFL.com, so they're added to the OP

I have no idea what LaFleur did this season to boost his resume, but good for him, unfortunately for Tennessee it means another new OC for Mariota, our fifth new playcaller since he was drafted, I wouldn't mind seeing someone internal that's been groomed to replace him so there isn't a huge shift, but I also kinda hope they wait until the dust settles with head coaches as I think some of the HC candidates could be great candidates if they don't land a HC job

Also an interesting note on Arians, since he retired last season the Cardinals still had his rights, Tampa swapped a sixth round pick for an Arizona seventh rounder in this year's draft to be able to sign him

17 minutes ago, oochymp said:

Kingsbury, Arians, and LaFleur have all been announced as official on NFL.com, so they're added to the OP

I have no idea what LaFleur did this season to boost his resume, but good for him, unfortunately for Tennessee it means another new OC for Mariota, our fifth new playcaller since he was drafted, I wouldn't mind seeing someone internal that's been groomed to replace him so there isn't a huge shift, but I also kinda hope they wait until the dust settles with head coaches as I think some of the HC candidates could be great candidates if they don't land a HC job

Also an interesting note on Arians, since he retired last season the Cardinals still had his rights, Tampa swapped a sixth round pick for an Arizona seventh rounder in this year's draft to be able to sign him

Ya, apparently he left Atlanta so that he could call his own plays... Granted, I don't think Mariota/injuries did him any favors -- but I am interested to see who he pegs as OC and who will be calling plays. I hope his (LeFleur's) ego doesn't get in the way of success. 

If there's anyone who can save Jameis Winston, I guess it's Arians. I love the coordinators he has hired (Byron Leftwich and Todd Bowles). With good QB play, we could see a quick turnaround in Tampa.

Also, I'm a little surprised Adam Gase hasn't been hired yet. It seemed like he was a hot candidate for interviews as soon as Miami fired him. Then again, there is a ton of misinformation floating around these days...

Broncos get Fangio. Great hire. 

Kevin Stefanski stays with the Vikings as OC, Freddie Kitchens named next Browns head coach. 

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9495/vic-fangio

Broncos hired Vic Fangio as head coach.
The 60-year-old finally gets his first head-coaching gig after many successful years as a defensive boss in San Francisco and Chicago under Jim Harbaugh, John Fox, and Matt Nagy. Fangio's Bears defense led the league in turnovers created this past season and was No. 1 in DVOA, checking in at No. 1 against the pass and No. 2 against the run. Fangio is rumored to be open to GM John Elway forcing Gary Kubiak on him as the Broncos' offensive coordinator, which may have been the selling point for Elway, who was also considering Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak for this head job. Still, the Fangio hire feels an awful lot like the just-failed Vance Joseph one. The Broncos simply HAVE to find a quarterback or this team is going to remain a 7-9 to 9-7 squad. Elway is firmly on the hot seat.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13939/freddie-kitchens

Browns hired Freddie Kitchens as head coach.
Cleveland is staying the course that it was so successful on the back half of this past season, going with Kitchens after he turned around an offense that was not living up to its potential under Hue Jackson and Todd Haley. Kitchens took over play-calling duties in Week 9, and the Browns averaged 23.75 points per game under his direction while Baker Mayfield completely took off with a 19:8 TD:INT mark in those eight games with an YPA average of 8.57. If the Browns simply kept Kitchens around as OC, some other team would have just came and hired him next year, so this was the right move. Kitchens now will be tasked with building a coaching staff. Prior to Week 9, Kitchens had never been an offensive coordinator or head coach at any level.

Three teams remain... According to Rotoworld, these are who they've currently lined up interviews with:

:Bengals: - Todd Monken, Vance Joseph, Eric Bieniemy, Zac Taylor, and Hue Jackson

:Jets: - Mike McCarthy, Todd Monken, Eric Bieniemy, Jim Caldwell, Matt Rhule, and Adam Gase

:dolphins: - Dennis Allen, Kris Richard, Eric Bieniemy, Mike Munchak, Brian Flores, and Darren Rizzi

Gary Kubiak in as offensive coordinator under Vic Fangio in Denver 

NFL.com still lists both Fangio and Kitchens as "expected hires" or "reports" from "sources" so I'm not updating the OP just yet, but both seem like solid hires

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9276/adam-gase

Jets hired Adam Gase as head coach.
Gase won out over Mike McCarthy and Todd Monken, who were also finalists for New York's head job. The Jets also had discussions with Baylor coach Matt Rhule, though according to reports, they weren't willing to let him hire his own staff. Gase's Miami tenure came to an abrupt end last week following another losing season in 2018, though it's arguable the Dolphins overachieved, winning seven games despite a bare-bones roster and injuries to key players like Ryan Tannehill and Xavien Howard. Once thought of as an up-and-comer in the coaching ranks, Gase's reputation took a hit during an often-frustrating stay in Miami, though he was always a good bet to land on his feet. The 40-year-old will be tasked with developing franchise quarterback Sam Darnold, who showed flashes but struggled with consistency throughout his rookie year. He succeeds Todd Bowles, who was let go after four seasons at the helm in East Rutherford.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13962/zac-taylor

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bengals hope to hire Rams QBs coach Zac Taylor as their next head coach.
Taylor's Cincinnati interview was announced one day after the regular season ended, but the Bengals cannot make anything official until the Rams' playoff run is over. That's an antiquated rule the NFL would be well served to drop. Taylor coordinated the University of Cincinnati's offense before joining Sean McVay in Los Angeles. Only 35, he would fit this offseason's trend of young offensive gurus.