Sign in to follow this  
Sparty

Alliance Of American Football

Anyone heard of this league? I'm gonna follow the Stallions. 

It basically has all of of your favourite washouts from previous years. Zach Mettenberger, Christian Hackenburg, Zac Stacy... the list goes on and on. Mike Martz is the head coach of the San Diego Fleet and Mike Singletary is coaching the Memphis Express, who I'll be rooting for.

Memphis Express sounds bad ass. 

Memphis Express, if I am not very much mistaken, is in Madden as a team you can make.

I also think they sound pretty bad ass, too.

But the Birmingham Iron have the best unis. Love the black/graphite look, man:

Birmingham-Iron-AAF-Uniforms-2019.jpg

• Like 1

The Iron are associated with the Bills and Mizzou so it's an easy choice for me. 

I'd watch it for Luis Perez. (Birmingham QB) He was a small-school prospect I followed during last year's draft process. He's got a pretty crazy story.

So we had two games last night:

Orlando Apollos 40, Atlanta Legends 6 and San Antonio Commanders 15, San Diego Fleet 6.

Orlando looked downright impressive, and I really like those helmets, didn't actually see it was an archer before. Today we have two more games between the Iron and the Express and the Hotshots and the Stallions.

Anyone watch last night or going to be watching today?

The quality of football was surprisingly good (better than I thought, anyway), the pace of play was fantastic, and I absolutely love the transparency of video reviews.

Methinks the NFL will learn from this league.

• Upvote 1

Haven't seen any games yet, but I'm hoping to catch a few and see what it's about.  Part of me hopes this can take the shape of a stable farm league for the younger undrafted and the veteran comeback hopefuls.  At a minimum it could offer a pool of players for teams to grab for practice squads in the pre-season.  

Watched the San Antonio and San Diego game yesterday and it was pretty entertaining. Nice seeing young guys get a shot but also the guys that either just couldn't make it or had a tough break in the league. Know they were talking about a corner for the Fleet that was with the Bills (I think) and playing games til suffering a pretty severe thigh injury and hadn't played in 2 years. So nice seeing him able to use this league to comeback to the sport he loves and potentially use it as a chance to make a comeback.

Love the chance to listen to the coaches and players in the huddle. Really gives you more insight to the playcalling and what goes into it. Also amusing hearing the players swear and announcers apologizing.

Definitely going to be keeping my eye on this league and see it how goes. Viewership and attendance were fairly good last night so that's good news.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

It was for a league debut so interest may have been peaked, but at the same time it was better than an NBA game with two pretty good West teams going against each other.

:notbad:

• Like 1

The Iron completely shut down Memphis, but Memphis did play Christian Hackenburg (who was mic'd up and kept cursing the whole time, lmao). Still they looked pretty good.

The Hotshots and Apollos are looking like the early favourites after this first week of play. Never thought I'd see Mike Martz coaching again, and I definitely never thought I'd see Steve Spurrier at it again. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FartWaffles said:

It was for a league debut so interest may have been peaked, but at the same time it was better than an NBA game with two pretty good West teams going against each other.

:notbad:

Yeah, I think the big question is... can it sustain from here and / or start actually growing. I am not expecting the entire season to be takign out top flight NBA games. Also don't want to see viewership drop 90% tho, ha. Can they break through the original hype ... we will find out

Why do people keep thinking Christian Hackenberg can play QB? This has frustrated me for years.

I'm just in it for the meme factor at this point.

10 hours ago, RazorStar said:

The Hotshots and Apollos are looking like the early favourites after this first week of play. Never thought I'd see Mike Martz coaching again, and I definitely never thought I'd see Steve Spurrier at it again. 

Defense wins championships, son. Respect the Iron.

I am thoroughly enjoying this league, way more than I thought I would. The Orlando/SAC game was fantastic and felt like a back and forth fight the whole way. Week 2 is in the books, and fuck it we're doing power rankings. First, our scores from week 2, which was far more competitive than week 1 as we had 3 one-score games and one two score game:

San Diego Fleet 24, Atlanta Legends 12. 

Birmingham Iron 12, Salt Lake Stallions 9.

Arizona Hotshots 20, Memphis Express 18.

Orlando Apollos 37, San Antonio Commanders 29.

8. Atlanta Legends gOxyqNitftxIHgfyFem3QX5LoyM (0-2, 18 PF,  64 PA): Atlanta looked better than Week 1's shellacking versus Orlando, but they're still the worst team in the AAF.

7. Memphis Express icEwKwOg4sVxtLi2MyZYiLstVPk (0-2, 18 PF, 46 PA): Memphis and Atlanta both looked great in the first half, holding 12-0 and 9-0 leads, but they both blew it in the 2nd. At least they didnt get shut out.

6. Salt Lake Stallions uE1F3sZ8cmzRNNh6Z797kTEfs8A (0-2, 31 PF, 50 PA): Salt Lake's offense was shut down by the Iron's superb defense, but their kicker also missed 2 kicks and they had a botched snap. Can't throw away 9 points versus the best D in the league and expect to win.

5. San Diego Fleet 5IhsX4Uw2q_PnRuaUlumElHrTbo (1-1, 30 PF,  27 PA): San Diego came back from a 9-0 deficit with great defense play in the second half, helped out by a ST turnover.

4. Arizona Hotshots IHUc8ypBoaiUoyXnIpKk_75hp08 (2-0, 58 PF, 40 PA): Arizona came roaring back from a 12-0 deficit to take this one from the Express, but they don't look the preseason favorites at this point.

3. San Antonio Commanders 6wovRbZvVdLl7sdgLA3KhQbM-Gg (1-1, 44 PF, 43 PA): San Antonio looked pretty good for the majority of the game and I thought they were going to pull the upset, but getting outscored 17-0 in the 4th quarter makes it hard to do that.

2. Birmingham Iron mPE9RMuBo93PCGd67tz3oYTE5vE (2-0, 38 PF, 9 PA): The Iron's defense is fantastic, but a mess of a kicking game from the Stallions definitely helped give them points. Also, their offense had basically two good drives all game, and they scored six of their 12 points on ST. The Iron's D can play with anyone, but your offense has got to put more points on the board if you want to challenge Orlando.

1. Orlando Apollos LFqlXaZC_svu6Ft7ULsE_uW1kyY (2-0, 77 PF, 35 PA): The Apollos look like the team to beat right now, with an opportunistic defense (pick-6s in back to back weeks), and an offense that puts up points at a rate far higher than any other team in the AAF. 

• Upvote 1

I'd switch the Hotshots and the Commanders right now, but those power ranking look pretty good.

I'm thinking of buying a Ross Hotshots Jersey

SAC and Arizona are very close, just thought San Antonio looked really good versus Orlando. We will definitely find out though, because SAC and Arizona are in the same conference and so they'll play each other twice.

I love the icons too, but I need to shrink them by about 50%, they're too big for on here. However I can't get that exact image off to shrink it as its a webpage link. Anyone with a little more technically know-how able to help me out here? I can shrink 'em if I can get them to a jpeg or something like that.

Edited by Thanatos

9 points allowed in 2 games? Shutting out Memphis 26-0 who gave Arizona everything they could handle in week 2? The Iron's defense is what puts them up there to me.

Why was the call questionable? You mean the fumble recovery for six or something else?

Edited by Thanatos

On 2/20/2019 at 8:01 PM, Packers Dynasty 2010 said:

Iron are too high. Barely beating a 3rd string QB at home isn't that impressive. Also needed a questionable call for 6 of their points.

Are the Iron still overrated, PD? ?

Edited by Thanatos

Yes, what have they done? Beat the 2 worst teams in the league and a team that was playing their 3rd string QB? Wait til they have to play the Apollos or the Commanders next week.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010