Sign in to follow this  
Sparty

Alliance Of American Football

The Apollos? You mean the team that just barely held off Zach Mettenberger and the Express 21-17? The team that Birmingham stomped 26-0 two weeks ago? The Iron are one of only two 3-0 teams in the league, allowing an average of 7 points a game. Besides Orlando- who as you may notice, I already have ranked above them- who would you put ahead of them?

I think you're seriously underrating good defense in this league, or overrating offense, one or the other. I also think "3rd-string" doesn't mean nearly as much in this league where we haven't had much of a chance to see people play. The Express looked a lot better with their second-string QB, for example.

Edited by Thanatos

Oh man, I hope you are not seriously trying to compare scores like you did in that 1st first sentence. As I alluded to earlier, I would say both the Apollos and Commanders are above them. I also think the Hotshots and Stallions could beat them.

I'm not underrating or overrating anything and I think it's too early to say they have such a great defense. Let's see what happens when they face some actual competition.

Go compare how the Stallions have looked with Woodrum at QB and how they've been with Allen and Linehan. It's a large difference and if Woodrum played last week, the Iron would have lost.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

I just gotta say... We are witnessing a debate on AAF team power rankings. I love this message board so much! :yao:

Also... GO COMMANDERS! :rock:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Packers Dynasty 2010 said:

Oh man, I hope you are not seriously trying to compare scores like you did in that 1st first sentence. As I alluded to earlier, I would say both the Apollos and Commanders are above them. I also think the Hotshots and Stallions could beat them.

I'm not underrating or overrating anything and I think it's too early to say they have such a great defense. Let's see what happens when they face some actual competition.

Go compare how the Stallions have looked with Woodrum at QB and how they've been with Allen and Linehan. It's a large difference and if Woodrum played last week, the Iron would have lost.

How is not valid to compare scores, lol? The Iron have looked dominant in two of their three wins. Salt Lake's QB definitely is decent, but their defense is not, and we're comparing teams, not players. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day, that's a silly statement, PD.

But overall, I think the Iron are the second best team in the AAF- at worst. I do like San Antonio a lot, but still you're basically telling me the Iron should be #3 instead of #2 lol. Power rankings are nearly always interchangeable one rank ahead or behind.

The Iron so thoroughly dominating the Legends at home, (28-12, was more like 28-6, one TD was in garbage time) speaks very poorly of Atlanta's chances here. Firstly, homefield has seemed big so far in this league and getting stomped at home like that is not good. Secondly, we now have in the Eastern Conference two 3-0 clubs in the Apollos and the Iron and then two 0-3 clubs in the Legends and the Express. If the Express give Mettenberger the reigns they might be able to do something, but even still its going to be very hard for either of those teams to catch either of the other two by year's end, given that there are only 10 games. Looking very likely that one semi-final will be the Iron vs the Apollos.

Edited by Thanatos

Okay if we want to compare scores, the Apollos only allowed the Legends to score 6 points where they scored 12 today. Guess Orlando has the better defense. Pretty stupid, right? It's like trying to use the transitive property in football.

Salt Lake's defense isn't good? Lolwut? I guess that's why the Iron's offense scored all of 6 points on them.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Not a fair comparison, I'm not talking score 6 vs scoring 12, I'm talking a 21-17 W versus a 26-0 W. Not to mention one of Atlanta's TD was with less than a minute to go trailing 28-6, Iron were in pure prevent defense. I'm not even using that argument to say the Iron should be ranked ahead of Orlando, merely saying they have looked pretty good so far. Not sure why you're only looking at one side of the ball here in your critiques.

Salt Lake is much better on the offensive side of things than on the defensive side of things was my point. Compare the whole teams versus each other.

SAC still better than Birmingham, son? 31-11.

• Upvote 1

Even if they did, still wouldn't put them above the Iron unless they trash them. The Fleet, otoh, look like they may have turned things around.

Power Rankings Week 3 of The Alliance. Feel pretty good in all of these, minus maybe swapping 5/6.

First, your scores, a couple of upsets this week, one minor, one not so much.

Orlando Apollos 21, Memphis Express 17

Birmingham Iron 28, Atlanta Legends 12

Salt Lake City Stallions 23, Arizona Hotshots 15

San Diego Fleet 31, San Antonio Commanders 11.

8. gOxyqNitftxIHgfyFem3QX5LoyM(0-3, 10 PPG, 31 OPG) (-): The Legends continue to cement their place at the bottom of the AAF suffering a 28-12 loss at home to the Iron that wasn't even as close as that score sounds. They simply have no offense, ranking dead last in the Alliance, along with a defense that is simply on the field too long and wears down as the game goes on- and is also ranked last in the Alliance.

7. icEwKwOg4sVxtLi2MyZYiLstVPk (0-3, 12 PPG, 22 OPG) (-): The Express did fall to 0-3, but the replacement of Christian Hackenburg by Zach Mettenberger yielded 17 points in the 2nd half versus 0 in the first. Mettenberger should be the starter going forward for Memphis, though it will take a small miracle to catch either Orlando or Birmingham, and they would have to in order to make the postseason.

6. 6wovRbZvVdLl7sdgLA3KhQbM-Gg (1-2, 18 PPG, 25 OPG) (-3): San Antonio got stomped by the Fleet in a revenge win for San Diego from the 15-6 loss in week 1. The Commanders defense was a serious liability, specifically versus the run, and their offense stalling out certainly did not help matters. 

5. uE1F3sZ8cmzRNNh6Z797kTEfs8A (1-2, 18 PPG, 22 OPG) (+1):  Stallions got a W for the first time this year in an impressive win over the previously undefeated Hotshots. And they kept themselves only one game back in the West with the victory. As long as their QB remains healthy, the Stallions are a threat.

4. IHUc8ypBoaiUoyXnIpKk_75hp08 (2-1, 24 PPG, 21 OPG) (-): The Hotshots suffered their first loss of the season, falling 23-15 to the Stallions in a game that was really a two-score loss. Still, they split the series with Salt Lake, and I can't really justify dropping them... yet.

3. 5IhsX4Uw2q_PnRuaUlumElHrTbo (2-1, 20 PPG, 13 OPG) (+2): The Fleet pulled a bit of a shocker, not necessarily in defeating San Antonio, but in doing it so thoroughly with a 31-11 stomp of the team that had just beaten them 15-6 two weeks ago. The Fleet's run game has come alive in the past two weeks, and they look like a major player.

2. mPE9RMuBo93PCGd67tz3oYTE5vE  (3-0, 22 PPG, 7 OPG) (-): The Iron's defense continues to suffocate opponents, and throw in a goal-line stand for good measure, with another trio of picks for the emerging defense of Tim Lewis. Meanwhile, Luis Perez continues to play good football, though he is let down by the amount of drops on this team, he understands what his defense can do and he doesn't turn the ball over to give the other team short fields.

1. LFqlXaZC_svu6Ft7ULsE_uW1kyY  (3-0, 33 PPG, 17 OPG) (-): The Apollos remain at #1 after surviving a second half surge from the Mettenberger-led Express. Their offense is easily the best in the AAF, a full 9 PPG ahead of the next closest team, with an opportunistic defense that makes plays on opposing QBs. Terrence Garvin had another pick and the Apollos set themselves up nicely with a 3-0 start.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/7411/johnny-manziel

Former NFL QB Johnny Manziel has been released by the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

"I look forward to exploring new options within the United States," Manziel said. The NFL has no interest in Manziel, who was terrible in the CFL, but perhaps the AAF could be in play. It is believed the San Antonio Commanders would have the first shot at Manziel if he were to want to play in the AAF. The Commanders have been rotating Logan Woodside and Marquis Williams under center with no real success. Manziel would be a popular draw for fans, if nothing else.

LbJ.gif

Didn't Manziel want more money to play in the AAF? Not as much as Kaep, but still more?

2 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Didn't Manziel want more money to play in the AAF? Not as much as Kaep, but still more?

As far as I know Tebow turned them down for baseball, and Kaep turned them down for dinero. I could be wrong, but I didn't hear of anything involving Manziel and the AAF. Pretty sure he was committed to the CFL, until his release.

The CFL mandated that he be cut and barred all other CFL teams from signing him because he didn't follow conditions that he agreed to when he originally signed... Idk what those conditions are/were but the CFL wouldn't release the specifics... At least in my mind, that sounds a lot worse than it probably is, but still... 

So yesterday we had the upset of the season so far as 0-3 Memphis took down the red hot San Diego Fleet 26-23- and the Express really dominated that game. The Fleet had a defensive TD and a ST TD and still lost, not exactly the usual way of losing. And the Apollos moved to 4-0, taking down Salt Lake 20-11. It's hard to see if Salt Lake and Memphis have shown how to slow down Orlando, given that Salt Lake's game was in the snow, (which was awesome), but we shall see.

We currently have a 3-3 defensive slugest going on between the Commanders and the Iron, but if Birmingham can pull it out we will have two 4-0 teams next week, which would also be awesome. Definitely gonna be some serious shakeups in the power rankings.

Edited by Thanatos

Not looking like we're going to get two 4-0 teams, unfortunately. Definitely gonna be a lot of shakeup lol. Would finish this week off nicely if Atlanta beats Arizona.

The Iron are still going to lose this barring a miracle, but that defense is insane. San Antonio just had six plays from the 1 yard line and failed to score. (DPI call on 3rd and goal gave them 3 more shots). SAC is up 12-3 with 4 minutes left.

Alright, here goes an "onside kick" attempt. I assume.

Iron won't win games they turn the ball over twice normally, they just aren't built for it.

Good defensive football game, the Commanders win 12-11. Definitely gonna be a lot of shakeup.

Edited by Thanatos

Predictably given this week's upsets, Atlanta is dominating Arizona. The score is only 8-3 at halftime, (we have our first safety!), but the Legends left at *least* 9 points on the field- and that's just assuming they go for all those FGs. They have a goal-line stop by the Hotshots, a botched snap on a fake FG attempt at the Arizona 5, and a strip sack inside the 25. Aaron Murray is in for the Legends due to an injury to Mat Sims, and he has them looking the best they've had all season. 

Zona comes out of halftime in the no-huddle, this should be interesting.

Edited by Thanatos

Woooow. What a week. Not 1, not 2, but 3 major upsets, with the previously winless Express and Legends picking up Ws vs 2-1 teams and and the 1-2 Commanders holding off the 3-0 Iron in a fantastic defensive struggle. Welcome to parity, AAF. Except for Orlando. Someone needs to beat them now. Also not as much shakeup as I was thinking, when everyone at the top loses in week 4, their won't be much movement up there.

First: Our scores:

Memphis Express 26, San Diego Fleet 23

Orlando Apollos 20, Salt Lake Stallions 11

San Antonio Commanders 12, Birmingham Iron 11

Atlanta Legends 14, Arizona Hotshots 11.

8. gOxyqNitftxIHgfyFem3QX5LoyM (1-3, 11 PPG: #8, 25.8 OPG: #8) (-): The Legends picked up their first W, but they have looked so bad the first three games that I simply cannot justify jumping them over anyone else just yet. There were a lot of positives from the W over Arizona- it was in Arizona, always nice to get a road win, Aaron Murray looked at least competent, but the biggest positive was the Legends defense, which had been allowing over 30 PPG and held the 2nd-ranked offense of Arizona to a measly 11 points. Very impressive turnaround for the Atlanta D.

7. uE1F3sZ8cmzRNNh6Z797kTEfs8A  (1-3, 16.2 PPG: #6, 21.2 PPG: #6- Tie) (-2): The Stallions lost their footing in the snow at home versus the best team in the league, but their defense did slow down the Apollos enough to give them a shot at the upset. Unfortunately, the offense was simply not up to the task and a bit of it falls on the coaching, as the Stallions really went very run-heavy in the first half and it seemed like their offense clicked a lot better in the 2nd half once they opened things up.

6. icEwKwOg4sVxtLi2MyZYiLstVPk (1-3, 15.2 PPG: #7, 22.5 OPG: #7) (+1): The Express picked up their first win in a sloppy victory over the red-hot Fleet. They allowed a defensive TD and a punt return for a TD or this one isn't even close. Zach Mettenberger is a huge upgrade at QB over Christian Hackenburg, and the Express are a dangerous team for anyone right now. They still dug themselves quite a hole to start the season off, but they still have a chance.

5.  st-ek0dvnG2saVj9azT506U6uMk (2-2, 21 PPG: #2- Tie, 19.2 OPG: #4) (-1): The Hotshots fell at home to previously winless Atlanta, and worse yet their offense was nearly shut down by the worst defense in the AAF- at home, no less. Arizona needs to shake this loss off in a hurry, as they are now tied at 2-2 with both the Fleet and the Commanders in the Western Conference. Nick Folk missing an easy 40 yard FG doesn't help matters on a day when your offense isn't exactly putting up points by the bunch.

4. 6wovRbZvVdLl7sdgLA3KhQbM-Gg (2-2, 16.8 PPG: #5, 21.2 OPG: #6- Tie) (+2) The Commanders won a 12-11 defensive slugfest versus the previously unbeaten Iron, a game they really needed to have and one where their defense showed up much better than it had the previous two weeks versus the Fleet and the Apollos. The offense still struggled to move the ball, one key sequence where they could have all but put the game away showing the offensive weakness of this team in full- six plays from the Iron 1 yard line, and they net a total of -1 yards.

3. CznTrRbQeP_WmKoa7K94CUjcmaQ (2-2, 21 PPG: #2- Tie, 16 OPG: #3) (-): The Fleet dropped a doozy to the Express, a game that should not have been close barring a pick-six and a punt return for a TD, the Fleet get blown out. It's a classic letdown loss after a huge win versus a division opponent. The Fleet are still tied for 1st in the West and they still have the best run-game in the AAF.

2. Xl112R0XequBQq2vYzQ8knORDtg  (3-1, 19.2 PPG: #4, 8.2 OPG: #1) (-): The Iron lost a close one to the Commanders to deprive us of two 4-0 squads matching up next week. They are still 3-1 but the offense has got to be worrisome. Luis Perez finally had a decently bad game instead of just having decent games, and the Iron turned the ball over twice. A defense that gets two goalline stands back to back after a DPI call negated the first 3 stops deserves better from its offense than a measly 11 points. Even with just that 11 points, if the Iron don't turn the ball over, they still win as 9 of the Commanders 12 points came off of Iron turnovers, as well as depriving the Iron of at least 3 points of their own. Birmingham is built on a defense that forces mistakes and an offense that doesn't make them. Neither happened today.

1. AayMJwWop7gLon-LttOOyPpQ0Ck  (4-0, 29 PPG: #1, 15.8 OPG: #2) (-): The Apollos are quite clearly the best team in the AAF and there might even be a significant gap between them and anyone else. They have the best offense by a longshot, their defense is 2nd, (albeit by literally 1 point allowed), and their QB is the best in the league, their defense gets takeaways and its just hard to see anyone beating them at this point. Their one weakness if I can point at anything, is- or at least was- a lack of a running game, but that did not seem to slow them down versus the Stallions in the snow. They also commit a lot of penalties- they lead the league in this category- which makes them being 4-0 even more of an indicator of how far ahead they have been of their opponents. They face a stiff test in the Iron next week, but they are probably going to be favorites from here on out.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

Another week down, and if there was any doubt about who was the best team in the AAF, the Apollos ended that on Saturday. Not too many upsets here.

First; the scores:

Orlando Apollos 31, Birmingham Iron 14

Salt Lake Stallions 25, San Diego Fleet 27

Atlanta Legends 23, Memphis Express 20

San Antonio Commanders 29, Arizona Hotshots 25

8. icEwKwOg4sVxtLi2MyZYiLstVPk (1-4, 16.2 PPG #7, 22 OPG #7) (-2): The Express fell on the road to the Atlanta Legends 23-20 due to a myriad of problems cropping up. For a team that seemed to be playing everyone hard, to lay an egg in what was basically an elimination game is a tough pill to swallow. Sitting at 1-4, it is very doubtful the Express can claw their way back out of the basement in the East.

7. uE1F3sZ8cmzRNNh6Z797kTEfs8A (1-4, 18 PPG, #6 22.4 OPG #6) (-): The Stallions looked sure to have pulled the upset on the fleet when they scored the go ahead TD and 2 point conversion with less than a minute to go, but a defensive breakdown cost them a 45 yard pass and the ballgame. The Stallions are like the Express- they have played a lot of close games, but just cannot finish. 

6. st-ek0dvnG2saVj9azT506U6uMk (2-3, 21.8 PPG #3, 21.2 OPG #4) (-1): Atlanta got completely smashed in the first three quarters versus San Antonio and a late comeback attempt, (helped out by back to back penalties negating back to back INTs), stalled on the onsides conversion. The preseason favorite Hotshots have now lost three straight and and given that they have to travel to Orlando next week, it could easily be 4 in a row for Arizona.

5. gOxyqNitftxIHgfyFem3QX5LoyM(2-3, 13.4 PPG, #8, 24.6 OPG #8) (+3) If you claimed two weeks ago the Legends were about to go on a 2 game winning streak, I'd've called you crazy. The difference in this team since Aaron Murray took over at QB is night and day, and he gives them a decent chance to crawl back into things.

4. Xl112R0XequBQq2vYzQ8knORDtg (3-2, 18.2 PPG #5, 12.8 OPG #1) (-2): The Iron have now lost two straight and have a critical game ahead versus the Fleet. The 31-14 score indicates a beatdown, but the game was a bit closer than it seemed. Keith Price kept the Iron in it in the second quarter onwards, leading three scoring drives, and throwing the first(!) TD pass of the season for the Iron. Price should start over Perez from here on out if they want to keep ahead of the Legends.

3. 6wovRbZvVdLl7sdgLA3KhQbM-Gg (3-2, 19.2 PPG #4, 22 OPG #5) (+1): The Commanders looked dominating versus Arizona in the first three quarters, but they did let the Hotshots make this game a bit closer than it should have been. Still, after getting drubbed 30-11 by the Fleet in week 3, the Commanders have put together solid back to back road wins versus the Iron and the Hotshots. 

2. CznTrRbQeP_WmKoa7K94CUjcmaQ(3-2, 22.2 PPG #2, 17.8 OPG #3) (+1): The Fleet needed a minor miracle to take out the Stallions with a last minute FG, but the team is playing well. There simply is a huge gap between them- well really everyone- and the team ahead of them.

1. AayMJwWop7gLon-LttOOyPpQ0Ck (5-0, 29.8 PPG #1, 15.4 OPG #2) (-): The Apollos remain entrenched in the first position after a thorough victory over the Iron on the road. It is fair to wonder if the Apollos will simply cruise to the title, or if we will have a gigantic upset- because at this point, that's what it would be for anyone to beat Orlando. Garret Gilbert is running away with MVP honors, and the defense has come together nicely over the past few weeks. There is still that nagging penchant for penalties, but that's really the only downside right now for the Apollos.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

My only complaint with your list is having San Diego at #2. They barely squeaked by a win over Salt Lake and it's because they are stuck with Bercovici at quarterback after injuries.

If Philip Nelson was healthy #2 would totally make sense, but now I'd put both San Antonio and Birmingham above San Diego at this point. I fully expect Birmingham to kick their ass next week. (Regardless of Perez or Price at QB)

I haven't had much of a chance to watch, how is the quality of play?

I find it hard to put the Commanders ahead of San Diego since two weeks ago the Fleet annihilated them, and its a snowball effect because I cant justify the Iron ahead of San Antonio either. It's close, it's all very close- except Orlando. I get what you're saying and I wouldn't have much of an issue with a 2. SAC 3. BI 4. SDF ranking either. I feel like we have three tiers. And teams within the same tier can basically be swapped.

We have

Tier 1: Apollos

Tier 2: Commanders, Fleet, Iron

Tier 3: Legends, Hotshots, Express, Stallions.

Bjorn: it's hit or miss to be honest. Some games are not so great, but the Salt Lake/San Diego game was one of a group that have been amazing. The Fleet won on a last second FG. The Express/Legends game was the same. The biggest issue, IMO, is the QB play. There are a *lot* of missed passes. I feel like its to be expected a bit, as we can't find 32 people to play QB for the NFL, how are we gonna find 8 more than can do it here? Secondly, no one really seems to have figured out how to have a consistent running game. Trent Richardson leads the AAF with 8 TDs, but he's under 3 YPC. 

The Apollos are also clearly the best team and I think will cruise to the title, so that takes some of the fun out of it. They have Charles Johnson, (used to be a decent wideout for the Vikes), and also Garret Gilbert (former Panthers backup QB), and he is easily the best QB in the AAF. Just hard to stop guys with actual NFL experience.

1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

I find it hard to put the Commanders ahead of San Diego since two weeks ago the Fleet annihilated them, and its a snowball effect because I cant justify the Iron ahead of San Antonio either. It's close, it's all very close- except Orlando. I get what you're saying and I wouldn't have much of an issue with a 2. SAC 3. BI 4. SDF ranking either. I feel like we have three tiers. And teams within the same tier can basically be swapped.

We have

Tier 1: Apollos

Tier 2: Commanders, Fleet, Iron

Tier 3: Legends, Hotshots, Express, Stallions.

Fair points. I'll just say I predict that the Fleet will be dropping quite a bit in your rankings in the foreseeable future. :yep: