Sign in to follow this  
Zack_of_Steel

Bware's guy is actually a selfish cunt?

And the team doesn't simply lay down for him? Dude supposedly didn't want to run "Foles stuff" and wouldn't buy back into the offense the way Foles does. Started playing favorites, leading to Ertz's season. Entire offense was frustrated by his refusal to run the offense and spread the ball around and quit checking out of runs or checking down to Ertz in the RPOs.

Gonna post snippets, but I'm on mobile so the formatting is gonna suck. The article is much longer and worth reading in full.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-exclusive-sources-paint-eagles-quarterback-as-selfish-not-team-player/

Exclusive: Sources inside Eagles paint Carson Wentz as 'selfish,' 'uncompromising' and 'playing favorites'

The franchise quarterback ‘complicated’ the offense, sources said, adding he didn’t want to run ‘Foles stuff’
By Joseph Santoliquito
PhillyVoice Contributor

Whereas some circles blamed the Eagles’ offensive failures on new offensive coordinator Mike Groh, numerous sources in and around the NFL and Eagles said they thought Wentz may have been the root of the Eagles’ offensive problems. Groh is a “good coach,” who was “bullied” by Wentz, according to sources. The problem with the offense this past season shouldn’t lie with Groh, it should “lie with Wentz,” they said.

His aw-shucks, overgrown-Opie-from-Mayberry routine plays well with the local and national media. Indeed, sources describe Wentz as “incredibly hard working,” “determined,” and “highly intelligent.” But the true Wentz is more nuanced and complicated, with sources describing him as “selfish,” “uncompromising,” “egotistical,” one who plays “favorites” and doesn’t like to be “questioned,” one who needs to “practice what he preaches" and fails “to take accountability.”

Numerous sources confirmed Wentz was once verbally attacked by a highly respected teammate for not being “a team guy.”

“Carson Wentz’s biggest enemy is Carson Wentz,” one source said. “He’s had his ass kissed his whole life, and sometimes acts like he’s won 10 Super Bowls, when he hasn’t played in, let alone won, a playoff game yet. Everyone around him wants good things for him. He did more thinking on the field than he did playing (in 2018). You don’t have to be a brain surgeon or a football expert to see how differently this team plays and reacts with one guy as opposed to the other."

Wentz, according to sources, created friction within the offense.

This was different in 2016 and '17 under former Eagles coaches Frank Reich, now the Indianapolis Colts’ head coach, and John DeFilippo, the new Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator, because they would rein Wentz in and stop him from going off-point, sources said. Reich and DeFilippo are two respected, entrenched NFL coaches who have experienced success. They forced Wentz to run the Eagles’ offense, a Super Bowl-winning offense that scored 41 points in the biggest game in franchise history and outdueled all-time great Tom Brady.

According to multiple sources, Wentz tended to “complicate” the offense. He didn’t let it come organically, as Foles did. According to one source, Wentz could “complicate 2+2.”

With Reich taking the top job with the Colts and DeFilippo joining the Vikings this season, the Eagles’ offense was going to be pretty much the same, or so the players thought. There was one major exception: Wentz didn’t want to run many of the concepts, because he felt that was “Foles’ stuff,” sources said. But as anyone who watched the Eagles could see, Foles and the Eagles’ offense was successful running their “normal stuff.”

The glaring difference is that Foles, every source stated, would go through progressions within the offense — exactly how it was designed to run — and hit the open receiver, regardless of who it was or where they were on the field. Wentz only saw, it seemed, one receiver the majority of the season: Zach Ertz. This understandably frustrated the rest of the offense, considering other receivers were open downfield. To stop the Eagles in 2018 under Wentz was rather easy: Stop No. 86.

Wentz’s proclivity for playing “favorites” manifested itself in targeting Ertz, who went on to catch a single-season NFL-record 116 passes for a tight end. Over the 11 games Wentz played, he went to Ertz 106 times (an average of 9.6 targets per game), while Alshon Jeffery was targeted 74 times (7.4 targets per game) and Nelson Agholor 60 times (5.4 targets per game). Sources added, without any great revelation, that Jordan Matthews is an Eagle because “of his buddy Wentz.”

This even came out during the year before Wentz got hurt, but the Eagles' veteran leadership and locker room conducted themselves in a way that avoided it becoming a big story.

An unnamed source in a story by ESPN's Josina Anderson said of the Eagles' struggles after the Saints loss, "I really felt like when we came out of camp, we didn’t have that same identity, that same rhythm, that camaraderie that you build on and off the field."

The same source also mentioned that the team was "over-targeting Zach Ertz."

The offensive players primarily felt more comfortable and confident with Foles – again, not a great revelation – because they knew he would get everyone involved in the offense. Foles would check down, if he had to, but he wasn’t going to audible out of running plays, as Wentz had a tendency to do this past season.

Wentz also had a propensity to pull the ball when he was about to hand off to the running backs, and check down to Ertz, despite having one of the NFL’s better offensive lines to run behind. It would frustrate the offensive line, the running backs and the wide receivers — basically everyone on the field at the time, with the exception of Wentz and Ertz. This too came out during the season, as Anderson mentioned it from her source.

Multiple high-profile teammates have already shut this down as false. I'm not worried about it.

• Upvote 1

Of course they would. And one of those people is Wentz' pet ... lol

Douche confirmed.

• Upvote 1

:shrug: I'm not a fan of "Unnamed Sources," and never have been. Who would it even be? It's not like he actually ignored other targets. They weren't open as often as this piece claims. Alshon Jeffery was banged up all season, too, and this is not something he'd do based on his character. Nelson Agholor disappeared regardless of who was at QB. Mack Hollins was hurt. Mike Wallace was hurt. Dallas Goedert isn't going to talk nonsense like this. Jordan Matthews sucks, but of course he's not one of these "Unnamed Sources." This is well above anything Jason Peters or Jason Kelce would ever do. 

So that pretty much leaves Agholor and maybe some backup tight ends behind Ertz and Goedert? Wendell fucking Smallwood? Isaac Seomalu?  

I mean, honestly, who would this have come from who's actually a relevant player? 

None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors.

This is the exact dude the article's talking about. Of course he'd say that. Maybe some of the vets are smart enough to jump ahead on deflecting the drama and don't have anything to do with it like Cox. There plenty of people on the team.

Hell, maybe Doug told them not to be like the fuckin' decrepit, half-rotten, pregnant, beached wale down the road in Pittsburgh and keep the shit in house and handle the media drama with aplomb. Because that's what good coaches do. You think we always know about when a player is disliked in the locker room?

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Like 1

Yeah, I really wouldn't have expected Ertz or other vet leaders to throw Wentz under the bus even if they knew this to be true. But my guess is these types of guys aren't the ones irked or impacted by Wentz being a douche.

I've seen too much good come from Wentz to believe this :shrug:

I'd imagine wentz feels a lot of pressure being the franchise guy when the backup won the super bowl. No too surprising that'd he'd push back against Foles (and this recent run probably didn't help). However, he's a young guy and they have a good coach so I bet they will work this out. 

Edited by blotsfan
  • Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

Responding to a January article questioning his character and 2018 attitude, Carson Wentz said "I'm not perfect."
Wentz was surprisingly introspective responding to the wave-making PhillyVoice piece, disputing some specific assertions but acknowledging some of its broader strokes. "I know I’m not perfect. I know I have flaws," Wentz said. "So I’m not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I’m not going to do that." Wentz also said he's unlikely to change. "I’m 26 years old; my personality, to some extent, ain’t going to change. ... It’s what’s gotten me here, what’s gotten me successful. I’m not going to say, ‘Oh, now I’m going to have this free-spirited, Cali-guy vibe.’ That’s just not going to change." They are fascinating, candid answers from a quarterback who has had a bizarre 15 months since injury likely cost him the 2017 MVP award. Wentz will have plenty to prove in 2019. He has the skill to do it. Feb 4 - 2:16 PM

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Edited by BLUE
  • Upvote 2

It hasn't been that bizarre :shrug:. He was good while he was healthy sans the New Orleans game. As for his answer--I'm not at all surprised. He's not the type to hear that kind of criticism and then completely deny it and act like he can't improve himself. He's the kind of guy who can learn from it. The entire piece surely isn't accurate--this is the American media we're talking about. His reliance on Ertz was certainly Romo-Witten-esque. 

The main problem with the report is that the individual who expressed it didn't keep it in house. I hope they know who it was and I hope they gave Carson the chance to say, "hey, he and I can talk about this and move forward." I hope they don't just cut whoever it was. 

It's okay, Kellen ... most of us root for douches ... look at the people that posted in this thread! Big Ben is a douche. Aaron Rodgers? Yeah, he's a douche, too! Guy in my avatar? He's an insanely likable human being tho LFG!!!!

• Upvote 2

Carson Wentz definitely regressed this year. His numbers look good in the surface but he came up short late in games a couple times this year. I think he rushed back a little bit and I think he got banged up a little more when their were injuries in the oline. I think one of the biggest differences we saw with Foles' run this year is that Peters and Johnson were playing at a much higher level for that stretch run and the starters on the DLine always get more run at the end of the year so Cox and Bennett were fresh and able to take over games. The young guys and free agents they signed in the secondary also had time to learn the defense but still everyone was talking about Wentz vs Foles. I'm sure that had to be hard to handle. He probably was a dick at times. Hopefully he learns from it. It sounds like he wants to based on what he said but you how athlete quotes are. Especially for a guy like Wentz who always seems to know the right thing to say to the media lol.

You have to have a certain level of douche / ego / confidence to be successful at QB. But there needs to be a balance. You can’t so openly play favorites ... you can’t omit yourself from the problems the team may be facing. That’s just being a terrible leader. What makes it harder for Wentz is what Blots mentioned .... having your very well liked and respected backup win a SB in your absence. Probably a big reason the Eagles are ready to try and get rid of Foles. 

They need this this to be Carson’s team... and it isn’t right now no matter what anyone says. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I mean, I'm sure this is sensationalized because that's what sports media does but I also don't think it's made up.

• Upvote 1