Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Alex Smith may miss entire 2019 season

Wonder how much, if at all, this is gonna affect the FA QB market.

I'd be surprised if they don't draft a QB within the first 100 picks, if not the 1st round.

Dude. The R words really need to get their shit together. Have they ever in their history had a long term solution / franchise quarterback? I think that would be a decent new years resolution. 

Until the Redskins get a new field, no QB should want to sign there, backup or otherwise.

He ded.

According to Darren McKee of 104.3 The Fan, the Redskins were also interested in acquiring Joe Flacco before his trade to Denver.

It makes sense as the Redskins are in desperate need of a quarterback with Alex Smith likely to miss all of 2019 with a broken leg that required multiple surgeries. Washington is sure to address quarterback in the upcoming draft, though the Redskins' flirtation with Flacco suggests the team would also consider a stopgap option like Case Keenum. With Smith out of commission, Washington's current quarterback room consists of journeyman Josh Johnson, career backup Colt McCoy and a fading Mark Sanchez.

Related: 

Washington Redskins

Source: Troy Renck on Twitter

On 1/28/2019 at 5:17 PM, BC said:

Dude. The R words really need to get their shit together. Have they ever in their history had a long term solution / franchise quarterback? I think that would be a decent new years resolution. 

Baugh and Theismann had pretty decent tenures...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Phins4life said:

Baugh and Theismann had pretty decent tenures...

Slingin' Sammy!

baugh.jpg

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27023403/qb-smith-big-step-learning-run-again

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith hasn't abandoned hope of playing football again after suffering a devastating leg injury in November -- even though he will have an external fixator on his right leg for at least another month.

In his first public comments since the injury, Smith told Fox 5 DC's Angie Goff that he still wants to play. Smith suffered a compound fracture in his right leg during a Nov. 18 loss to the Houston Texans. He endured multiple surgeries because of an infection, and amputation became an option at one point, sources have said.

But now Smith feels good enough to at least consider returning, even if multiple hurdles remain and the team views the possibility as a long shot.

"That's the plan," he told Goff on her Oh My Goff podcast, which was published Friday. "There are steps I've got to conquer before I get there. ... Learning to run again. That's a big one. I'm already throwing. Throwing isn't a problem, but dropping [back], moving around, change of direction."

Smith, 35, said he must wear the external fixator for at least another four to six weeks, which would put the total time in the contraption at around 7½ months. Smith remains realistic about his future.

"The steps I'm at now are lifestyle steps," he said. "I'm still working on playing basketball with my kids and running around after my daughter. Those are things I have to conquer anyway until I get to the point where I'm walking on the field. I'm looking forward to it. I'm excited about that challenge. The stronger I get every week, the more I do, the more hopeful I am that that's a real possibility."

The Redskins selected Dwayne Haskins in the first round of the draft, pegging him as their quarterback of the future. They did so knowing the long road Smith faced and that, even if he does return, he might not be the same quarterback he was before the injury. Smith's running ability was a big part of his game.

Washington also has Colt McCoy and Case Keenum under contract for this season, but neither is signed beyond 2019.

Smith signed a four-year contract worth up to $94 million, with $71 million guaranteed, in 2018. The Redskins never planned to cut him this offseason, uncertain about his playing future and also knowing they would take an approximate cap hit of $40 million, accounting for a $12 million insurance policy. They could cut him after this season but would still incur a hit of $20 million, once again getting some relief with insurance.

Throwing isn't an issue for injured quarterback Alex Smith, but the mobile aspects of the position will have be relearned, he told a Fox 5 DC podcast. Geoff Burke/USA TODAY Sports

Smith told Goff he had played golf earlier that morning and then went through physical therapy. He called it his most active day since the injury. They later played a game of dodgeball, with Smith stationary, in a local mall.

He called the past three months "life-changing" because he could start driving again and was off crutches.

"The first four months were really, really hard," he said. "Just to be in a wheelchair as long as I was. When you have independence and lose it ... that was the hardest part."

He credited the effect the external fixator has had on his recovery.

"This thing is gonna save my leg, save my bone, allow me to heal and walk again and hopefully play football again," Smith said.

Smith told Goff that "every week or two weeks" he is doing something in physical therapy that he didn't think he could. It could be a physical or mental hurdle.

"I'd be lying if I didn't say mental obstacles, there are things with my leg I don't trust yet," Smith said. "I feel I'm quite a bit further along than I think."

That progress, and a desire to focus more on what he must do each day, has helped him stay positive.

"It's crazy looking and it sucks what happened, but at the same time, people out there have it way worse," he said. "Life happens, and for me, I feel like this is a time for me being tested and having a challenge in front of me, and how can I handle it?"

Yeah I was reading something the other day about him still being in a leg brace / contraption and gonna be for at least another month. 

Then he basically has to learn to walk again, much less run / drop back / etc. 

I’m not sure we see him play again. And if he does it will be a great thing to see.His leg was so jacked up... it’s probably in the article you posted, but they were even contemplating amputation at one point. Just nasty. 

Wish him the best though as his recovery continues l. He really turned his career around after a really shitty start. 

I don't think he really plans on playing again, burn going through the motions like he is means he'll still be getting paid throughout the recovery process. 

Alex Smith revealed he required 17 surgeries to repair his broken right leg.

The last number we'd heard was six back in December, but Smith ended up getting a severe infection and needed a whole lot of operations to remove tissue. Smith was in an external fixator device for eight months but has since shed the contraption and is walking on his own. He was seen throwing passes on the practice field this week. Still, Smith is expected to miss the season and his career remains in serious question. But 17 surgeries? Goodness. No wonder Trent Williams doesn't trust the Redskins medical staff.

Alex Smith was seen throwing passes on the Redskins practice field.

Smith was wearing a compression sleeve on his surgically-repaired leg while working with Washington team members on dropbacks and various types of throws. The Athletic's Ben Standig and Rhiannon Walker wrote, "Smith didn’t put a great deal of weight on the mending leg but was still able to loft the ball up and get a lot of air under his throws." It's one of the beginning on-field steps for Smith as he tries to get back into live action, but Smith is likely aiming for a 2020 NFL return. An NFL return is by no means guaranteed, however. Smith admitted that surgery, rehab, and his external fixator device were able to "save my leg, save my bone, and allow me to heal, and walk again." It was and still is a major injury to come back from.

Edited by Vin

If Smith is smart he's just milking the Redskins for free rehab and will retire as soon as he's recovered enough to go on with his life. I wouldn't risk destroying what at this point is a bionic leg, but definitely get the team to help with the recovery.