Sign in to follow this  
BJORN

The Price of Winning

While not always, there has definitely been a trend towards teams winning SBs with QBs on lesser contracts. The team in recent memory that didn't was the Broncos but the stars aligned in terms of assembling the defense for them. They were fucking STACKED and had cap space to snag Peyton. 

One team has had the greatest QB of this generation who has been paid MUCH below his market value: The Patriots. Now one could say Brady willingly sacrifices his salary so the team will be better off which is true. But Brady has one luxury most players don't: A motherfucking gold-mine for a wife. 

While, I am sure winning plays a factor in terms of contract decisions and such, the reality is that these players need to make the most that they can, while they can. So if every QB decided to take (much) less than they are worth, that shifts their collective market value down and screws everyone over.  

I think there is no doubt that Brady's contract has helped the Pats stay so consistent. But due to the fact that is he undercutting his felow QBs, is this something that should be looked into? It certainly effects the health of the league. (I know I am sure the owners would love it if everyone took less money!)

Edited by BJORN

For now, they always seem to find a way to restructure it to being under 20 million by the time it matters.

I feel like the Pats are a special case in general though. They hardly ever pay anyone, instead they either get a few good years out of a draft pick and then cut them loose or find a dude off the street who comes in for nothing and produces.

Their highest cap hit of an offensive player this season, outside of Brady, is Marcus Cannon and almost $7.5 mil. (Shaq Mason is right behind him at 7.2.  Edelman is the highest offensive skill position at almost $5.5 mil...)