Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Dolphins expected to release Tannehill

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins are expected to release Ryan Tannehill.

The Dolphins' power structure, including owner Stephen Ross, have "agreed they are moving on from Tannehill." Miami's plan to pull the plug on Tannehill has been out there for awhile, but the Dolphins are starting to realize they won't be able to trade him with his contract. It's possible Tannehill restructures his deal to facilitate a trade, but the most likely scenario is a clean break for both sides. In a weak quarterback market, it won't be surprising if Tannehill gets a chance to compete for a starting role somewhere in 2019.

Source: Miami Herald

I've no doubt, Tannehill will find work somewhere else.  Part of me hopes he ends up somewhere else in our division and actually thriving, like Welker did with the Pats.  I think Ryan's taken far more criticism than he deserves for Miami's offensive shortcomings.  Not to mention...how many HC's and QBC's has he had now?  Hardly any stability, and rarely a good enough surrounding cast.  Despite all that, he's still the third longest tenured starting passer in franchise history with respectable, but modest, numbers.  He's never going to be an elite QB, but he deserves better, imo. 

I suspect Miami is considering the "Tank for Tua" path, seeing as how there are no significantly better upgrades at the position available at this time.  It's too bad Trevor Lawrence is ineligible for 2 more years.  I'd heard Foles' name get tossed around, but honestly I doubt he's worth the cap hit while the Phins are on the fringe of going into rebuilding mode.  I'd also read Bridgewater was on the radar.  Honestly, they should just tear it all down and really start over, like Cleveland.  That includes the inept FO personnel.  If only we had Dorsey running operations. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FartWaffles said:

How would you feel if they draft Kyler Murray?

To be fair, I don't know enough about him to form an honest opinion.  I've heard good things about him, but as a whole I haven't heard enough about any one player to make me think they're a ringer for an instant starter role.  Every guy seems to have enough chinks in the armor to make any of the picks questionable if you're looking for immediate results.  Murray has his smaller than average stature and possible split commitment with baseball, Rypien might not be mobile enough, Jones might not have the touch he needs on the deep ball, etc.  I realize that's usually how scouting goes, but after 20 years and more than a dozen QB's, I'd prefer the Phins hold out for the near sure-fire bet.  That's in a perfect world...there's no such thing as a sure thing.  So then you have to worry about finding that bridge QB, of which there are few to choose from without having to dig deeper into their pockets than they should.  Miami's poor cap management is one of the main reasons they're in their current situation to begin with. 

If Miami decides to stick to WC style play over the deep ball, maybe Haskins would be nice to have, with the kind of accuracy he showcased.  But there's no way to get him without trading way up. And could he handle the pressure of passing behind Miami's less than amazing line?

• Upvote 1