Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Rip Todd Gurley

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2823151-rams-rb-todd-gurley-reportedly-has-arthritis-in-injured-knee.amp.html

Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley reportedly has arthritis in his previously injured left knee.

Jeff Howe of The Athletic reported the update Saturday and noted the revelation "helps explain his limited usage in the playoffs."

Gurley received at least 15 carries in each of his first eight appearances of the 2018 season, including a 30-touch game in the Rams' 23-20 victory over the Denver Broncos in mid-October.

The 24-year-old University of Georgia product reached the 15-carry threshold just twice in his final six games of the regular season, however, and missed the last two games with the knee injury. He returned for the postseason, but his usage was sporadic. He recorded just 11 touches in the Super Bowl.

Though L.A. frequently turned to backup C.J. Anderson during the playoffs, neither the team nor Gurley pinned Gurley's limited role on an injury.

"We had gone in knowing that we wanted to kind of almost have a shared load between he and C.J.," head coach Sean McVay told reporters in his season-ending press conference. "So the amount of attempts just rushing the ball the last couple games was a little bit different."

Following the Super Bowl, Gurley said, "I know there's been a lot of concern about my knee and stuff, but really I am fine," per Mike Jones of USA Today (h/t Connor Casey of 247Sports).

It's apparently a different story behind the scenes. John Breech of CBSSports.com reported Friday "there's definitely some concern inside the organization about his left knee" and that the team would consider stem-cell treatment if offseason plans for recovery don't lead to progress.

Gurley is under contract through 2023, but his knee issues make finding a reliable reserve a key offseason priority for the Rams with Anderson set to become an unrestricted free agent

I know that it's way different for athletes in majority of cases and my surgery wasn't an ACL repair, but I had surgery to repair patellar subluxation. I ended up having to get a scope after the fact to take care of some scar tissue build up. I was exercising and doing everything right I thought, and a build up still happened. Long story short, I ended up going in and getting it done and haven't had an issue since. 

I'm wondering if this has something to do with scar tissue. He had a complete tear and got back to playing form so quickly that I wonder if maybe he just needs to get the surgery area cleaned out. If it's major arthritis, that's definitely going to cut his career short, but by no means does that mean he'd be done any time soon. 

Yeah, it definitely seems worse than they want to let on. He's a great player and by all appearances a super nice guy, so I hope it's something as simple as a cleanup scope like Rowdy mentioned.

Ded.

Rams GM Les Snead said Todd Gurley (knee) is unlikely to play in the preseason.

This isn't a surprise — Gurley is coming off massive workloads the last two seasons and has chronic knee issues. The Rams are scaling back his reps in an effort to keep Gurley fresh throughout the year. Malcolm Brown and rookie Darrell Henderson should get a ton of run this preseason.

Source: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

That would be such a shame, man. I hope he's fine. He's still so young.

Obviously you can't predict the future, but this is why teams are usually hesitant to pay RBs. Even the elite ones, because it's such a high injury risk position that really wears down the body.

Hopefully Gurley doesn't just completely fall off a cliff any time soon and the Rams can get the most of that contract extension, so it's a win-win for both parties.

• Upvote 1

Ded.

Todd Gurley's trainer confirmed the running back is dealing with an "arthritic component to his knee."

"Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee," trainer Travelle Gaines told CBS Sports. "He's now at the year-five mark, all we're doing is managing that." Gaines also said he has not been told the Rams plan to limit Gurley's workload to keep him fresh, although their offseason moves paint a pretty clear picture. Gurley is a risk-reward pick early in the second round.

Source: CBS Sports