Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Best Defense of The Decade

There have been some pretty sick defenses this decade. Pittsburgh and Seattle, early in the decade. Denver in the middle. 

To me it was Denver. Their pass rush rotation was deep inside and out. They had athletic LB's, one of which was playing at a DPOY level but they also had the secondary to lock you down and force turnovers. Aside from there receivers, Denver's offense was a truly putrid she'll of the team that got it's ass handed to them by the Seahawks. They carried Peyton Manning to a super bowl when he was physically just done and won it. I feel like the other two defenses had great QB's that made a lot of plays for them in big moments.

• Upvote 1

Legion of Boom followed by Denver

2013 Seahawks hands down. Look at what they did to Pey Pey and that offense. The 2015 Broncos would be my 2nd choice. Also have to give some love to the 2010 Packers, an underrated defense and were the reason why the Packers never trailed by more than 7 in a single game. But they weren't on the same level as the Legion of Boom and No Fly Zone.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010
  • Upvote 1

LOB for days.

Seattle's defense had a lot more longevity, but Denver's defense that one year they won it all was the best single season of the decade.

The Legion of Boom definitely sticks out to me, Seattle had a period of 4 straight years with the best scoring defense in the league. Some of the others that come to mind were the 49ers from 2011-2013, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith and the rest of those studs all retiring or leaving at once really sunk their ship though. I mean I'm biased towards the 2015 Broncos, but that's because we literally carried the aging sack of crap that was Peyton Manning in his final season.

13 hours ago, Packers Dynasty 2010 said:

2013 Seahawks hands down. Look at what they did to Pey Pey and that offense. The 2015 Broncos would be my 2nd choice. Also have to give some love to the 2010 Packers, an underrated defense and were the reason why the Packers never trailed by more than 7 in a single game. But they weren't on the same level as the Legion of Boom and No Fly Zone.

I think the 2013 super bowl was more about Denver choking than it was Seattle dominating. I think anytime you get a super bowl with a final score that lop sided it's because one team simply didn't show up or was just out coached really bad.

THIS SHIT WAS LEGENDARY   :towel:  :towel::towel:

Edited by BC

Broncos actually beat the Pats when it mattered. 

Advantage: Broncos

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, seanbrock said:

I think the 2013 super bowl was more about Denver choking than it was Seattle dominating. I think anytime you get a super bowl with a final score that lop sided it's because one team simply didn't show up or was just out coached really bad.

Getting out-coached really bad and getting dominated are basically the same thing in most cases.   

32 minutes ago, Vin said:

Broncos actually beat the Pats when it mattered. 

Advantage: Broncos

True, but.....

Can we really say that SB loss was the Seattle players' fault?  More the OC, from my perspective.  We all know Lynch had like a 95% chance of wrecking that D-line from the 1 if they had given him the ball. 

Edited by Phins4life
  • Like 1

Well it's especially egregious given that they had two cracks at it too tbh. Lol. If I'm throwing there I wanna roll out and throw the ball unless it's there in front of you.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Like 1

idk if we can really even include Pittsburgh in here, unfortunately. Their 2010 D was their 2nd best of the LeBeau era and Troy and Harrison were playing like their DPOY selves, but in 2011 the injuries piled on and they really fell apart as the Cowher crew started retiring and Tomlin got more involved with the D (and Dick got scapegoated).

As others have said, I think overall Seattle wins the decade, but the 2015 Broncos just had it all and carried that team like the '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs. Both were great to watch, but I think the Legion of Boom takes it.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

2015 Denver playoff run. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2019 at 4:13 AM, Zack_of_Steel said:

idk if we can really even include Pittsburgh in here, unfortunately. Their 2010 D was their 2nd best of the LeBeau era and Troy and Harrison were playing like their DPOY selves, but in 2011 the injuries piled on and they really fell apart as the Cowher crew started retiring and Tomlin got more involved with the D (and Dick got scapegoated).

As others have said, I think overall Seattle wins the decade, but the 2015 Broncos just had it all and carried that team like the '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs. Both were great to watch, but I think the Legion of Boom takes it.

Yeah I mean, Seattle held their defense together longer but Denver had it all man. Vicious pass rush inside and out. Rangy sideline to sideline LB's. And maybe the best secondary I have ever seen, yes even better than the LOB. That 2015 Denver defense is one of the best single season defenses I have ever seen. They also had Wade Phillips pressing all the right buttons. I think when Denver lost him and Marshall got hurt and Jackson left for...Jacksonville (lol) that really hurt them. 

I think Carrol kept things going in Seattle and honestly just the fact that they had an offense that could bail them out when they needed it, was huge. It's really hard to be a dominant defense when the offense can't run OR throw the ball. Imagine if Denver had Wilson and Lynch to close out games. 

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, seanbrock said:

Yeah I mean, Seattle held their defense together longer but Denver had it all man. Vicious pass rush inside and out. Rangy sideline to sideline LB's. And maybe the best secondary I have ever seen, yes even better than the LOB. That 2015 Denver defense is one of the best single season defenses I have ever seen. They also had Wade Phillips pressing all the right buttons. I think when Denver lost him and Marshall got hurt and Jackson left for...Jacksonville (lol) that really hurt them. 

I think Carrol kept things going in Seattle and honestly just the fact that they had an offense that could bail them out when they needed it, was huge. It's really hard to be a dominant defense when the offense can't run OR throw the ball. Imagine if Denver had Wilson and Lynch to close out games. 

That defense was one of the best I've witnessed, I will say. I definitely don't think they're better than the '08 Steelers, but for sure one of the best outside of that.