Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

2020 Democratic Primary Race

10 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

If you tell me you agree 100% with anybody , I am going to call you a liar. Either that or just massively misinformed. 

He’s also talked about lowering the voting age... no thanks. Lol 

Bernie Sanders has severely pissed me off a bunch of times the last couple years since he bent the knee. I don't agree with him on everything, nor do I with Tulsi BUT those two things are just really big gripes for me. I feel like his dishonesty on the UBI/automation thing is meant to deceive people and I think his comments about misinformation are EXTREMELY dangerous. 

1 minute ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Also , I still think you’re a bit hypocritical. You claim he is not honest about how he feels about automatic ... yet somehow you can stump for Bernie whose been in politics for roughly 9001 years and done very little in comparison. 

Bernie is a lot of talk, and very little action. I have no confidence in Bernie to actually implement the things he talks about if he were to become president. 

Not only that, but the guys plan(s) to make those policies a reality are extremely broad. Trying to read the detailed ways he wants to pay for and implement his policies quickly leaves me in a perpetual state of “huh?”. A lot of it doesn’t make sense, the numbers don’t add up, etc. 

At this point, his campaign may be nothing more than a money grab for he and his wife’s criminal enterprise. 

What? lol Bernie has done A LOT. He's actually even worked with your guy Rand Paul on bail reform and drug pricing. He's going at Amazon and Walmart and it all goes all the way back to his political activism in the civil rights era. You know how difficult it is to get anything done that actually helps people. 

So “ what he’s done” is mostly boiled down to not actual legislation passing but the ideas he talks about. Right...

Glad he’s gotten us our universal healthcare and free college. Way to go Bernie you schmuck. Lmao

The guy simply hasn’t accomplished much. And the way he lays out his plans for his biggest policy proposals proves he isn’t really believing the BS he’s shoveling into your face. He’s been running for more than 3 years now and his policies are was detailed and less cohesive and coherent than Andrew Yang’s. 

I like his anti war record...  it after that it’s a lot of dreams and weed smoke. 

I mean... this is the guy who lived in a hippie commune who was mostly hated by everyone else for being a lazy leech. 

Not much has changed for Bernie as he spends hundreds of thousands on private jets each month. 

The guy is (mostly) a scam artist

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

So “ what he’s done” is mostly boiled down to not actual legislation passing but the ideas he talks about. Right...

Glad he’s gotten us our universal healthcare and free college. Way to go Bernie you schmuck. Lmao

1. Sanders has passed more ammendments than any other senator in US History

2. As mayor he created a land trust in Burlington which allowed people to have affordable housing

3. He also voted against BOTH Iraq Wars but you did give him credit for that.

4. He voted AGAINST NAFTA

5. He has a long record of supporting gay rights and was way ahead of the curve on this

6. He's been fighting for cheaper prescriptions since 1999 and he continues to fight for that even reaching across the aisle to do so

7. He protected people's pensions from IBM

8. He voted AGAINST the Clinton deregulation  of wall street which wrecked our economy ten years later.

9. He voted AGAINST the Patriot Act

10. He amended the 2009 recovery bill to ensure that laid off US workers could not be replaced low wage foreigners and that was with Chuck Grassley, a Republican

11. He fought against Obama and the Republicans to make the ACA a little bit less shitty with amendments that protected consumers

12. He tried to audit the fed in 2010 with Ron Paul

13. in 2013 he fought against cutting benefits to veterans on the veterans affairs committee

14. in 2013 Sanders introduced legislation to break up the banks. Being that most of the politicians in the country are owned by the banks it didn't go far.

15. Sanders voted AGAINST the Keystone XL Pipeline

16. 2016 Sanders tried to ban private prisons

17. Sanders is also really the one man who made it a taboo to except big donations for his campaign which is just fucking massive.

58 minutes ago, seanbrock said:

1. Sanders has passed more ammendments than any other senator in US History
Pretty sure you just googled one of his ads on Youtube and copied this from there. Big difference between passing amendments where more than 20% of said passes were just by a roll call vote and hardline legislation.

2. As mayor he created a land trust in Burlington which allowed people to have affordable housing
Burlington, Vermont...? As in the city with less than 40,000 people?? My city in the middle of nowhere has affordable housing.. Should our mayor from that decade be running for president? 

3. He also voted against BOTH Iraq Wars but you did give him credit for that.

4. He voted AGAINST NAFTA
To my knowledge we still joined NAFTA. Other than words, what action did he take after the country did the opposite of what he wanted?

5. He has a long record of supporting gay rights and was way ahead of the curve on this
This is obviously a great thing, but not something to brag about in 2019. If we have an anti-gay nominee for president ever again, I might shit my pants -- especially on the Democratic side.

6. He's been fighting for cheaper prescriptions since 1999 and he continues to fight for that even reaching across the aisle to do so
Fighting for something for 20 years and failing isn't something I would use to demonstrate the things he's actually accomplished. It's a lot of good talk up to this point. Very little real action. I am not convinced Bernie would be able to change this as President.

7. He protected people's pensions from IBM
This is a myth, kind of.  He was vocal about it, for sure. I think the workers themselves had a lot more to do with IBM cracking to pressure than Bernard did. He just took credit for it. Secondly, if you actually ready about cash balance plans and the defined benefits packages Bernie was supporting... People who spend their entire lives at one company will benefit from what Bernie was fighting for. The people who hop from job to job, which is increasingly becoming the VERY VERY large majority of people benefit more from the other method which allows them to roll over their accumulated retirement savings into personal accounts etc.

There have been studies done on this... Companies who switched the way their pensions worked like IBM wanted to, saved less than 2% on their retirement costs while 80% of employees benefited long term.

8. He voted AGAINST the Clinton deregulation  of wall street which wrecked our economy ten years later.

You mean that legislation sponsored by 3 GOP members bought and paid for by Wall Street (one of which was Iowan, btw)...? Ya, Bill Clinton was a piece of shit. No argument.

9. He voted AGAINST the Patriot Act

I'm sensing a pattern. He's voted and talks a good game. Don't trust him to actually do or be able to change anything on this.Seems more like a talking point for him at this point rather than a point of action.

10. He amended the 2009 recovery bill to ensure that laid off US workers could not be replaced low wage foreigners and that was with Chuck Grassley, a Republican

Grassley had been talking about this for a long time. Bernie jumped on the bandwagon. Good for him, but I don't exactly think of this when thinking of Bernie. I know taking credit for stuff is one of his biggest actions in Congress but I am not impressed by it (the taking credit part).

11. He fought against Obama and the Republicans to make the ACA a little bit less shitty with amendments that protected consumers
Thanks for that. Obamacare was still a disaster.

12. He tried to audit the fed in 2010 with Ron Paul
That would have been nice, considering the Fed is a corrupt and unchecked institution,

13. in 2013 he fought against cutting benefits to veterans on the veterans affairs committee
One of only two notable legislations listed on his Wiki page.

14. in 2013 Sanders introduced legislation to break up the banks. Being that most of the politicians in the country are owned by the banks it didn't go far.
Just like a lot of things. Good idea, but if you can't make it happen in Congress how is he going to make this happen as President? Congress is still bought and paid for by the banks? No confidence this changes just because Bernie wins. Another good talking point.

15. Sanders voted AGAINST the Keystone XL Pipeline
I think this is in my backyard. Thanks for nothing Bernie.

16. 2016 Sanders tried to ban private prisons
Sticker for trying?

17. Sanders is also really the one man who made it a taboo to except big donations for his campaign which is just fucking massive.
False.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Getting shit done in congress is EXTREMELY  difficult when you don't even get the support of your own party (I know he is technically an independent lol) and you have to fight against the billions of dollars of lobbyist cash. If Sanders becomes the Democratic nominee and eventually the President he wouldn't have to worry about raising enough money to get on the right committees. He would be the leader of his party and he could use the Bully Pulpit much more effectively against the Pelosi's and the Schumer's of the world. The power brokers in the DNC are holding meetings trying to figure out how to stop Bernie Sanders. I think that should do a lot to show you what the guy is up against. 

On 4/15/2019 at 1:00 PM, DalaiLama4Ever said:

I stopped reading pretty quick. 

I actually do not believe in collusion with Russia. We know they interfered. We know the Trump campaign knew they were interfering. However, I don't believe Trump is competent enough to obstruct justice or collude with Russia and then hide the evidence well enough that Mueller couldn't find it. He tried to obstruct justice multiple times, his people refused to follow orders. He is an incompetent dictator wannabe, not some mastermind criminal that would be able to hide solid evidence if he did in fact collude with the Russians. 

Putin is a murderous dictator nearly on par with Kim Jong Un. I don't need someone to tell me that, I can look at what he's done, what he's currently doing to gays in his country, etc. He's not a good guy. Russia's interests are almost diametrically opposed with ours in many parts of the world. 

And again, Assange should not be extradited- but he is not a good person at all. Nor is he a journalist. That is all I am saying. You should probably read the thread instead of quitting immediately, since he provides context for what he is posting- which is publicly available information easily searched for and found. 

I do agree with Favre on Yang- I'd vote for him as well, easily. UBI is an interesting idea, I don't know if its feasible long-term, but if we scrapped 50% of the military funds- which we should do- we could do it and then some.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

Reasonable Russiagate take. I would agree with that. I just think that a lot of countries probably tried to interfere. We know the power of the Saudi and Israeli lobby's. Hell we know how shady our elections are here. That's why I like Tulsi's paper ballot idea. I think it's pretty clear that the right thing to do here is to secure our elections. Remember, turn about is fair play and one could argue that Putin was actually a creation of US inferring to get Yeltzin elected. I think the reaction to this has been nuts and irresponsible. Especially given that they all claim to he terrified of having Trump be the one holding the football.

I agree with everything up until Assange but even with that you don't think he should be extradited. 

Her foreign policy is the best of anyone running and it's not even remotely close. That includes Sanders.

I really want to see Mike Gravel make the debate stage. Having him, Tulsi and Bernie on stage would give the progressive platform as much of a voice as I have ever seen. I think having them up there is going to continue to force the other bought candidates to at least take on the same talking points, especially the talking points that are anti-war and anti-corruption and that are pro human rights. 

Also, has anyone ever tried to assemble their cabinet before they were elected president? I think it could be a really good way potentially to be in a lot of places at once and really kind of sharpen you message. Like, say if I came out and named Ralph Nader my attorney general. I could get him to go around the country talking about how he wants to prosecute bankers or whatever else him and I and I guess the rest of my staff decided would be on the agenda. idk, I just feel like you could have people working for you in the best way possible. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ron-paul-calls-tulsi-gabbard-very-best-democratic-candidate

To me this is a HUGE endorsement. I'm so excited about the possibility of an anti-war coalition. Tulsi Gabbard will bring a lot of people in under her tent, man and it's fucking beautiful because it's all based on peace. If she wins the nomination, Independents will vote and she will CRUSH Trump.

This interview is an absolute must see. Glenn Greenwald does a fantastic job of asking questions and Tulsi answers them all directly without trying to dodge. That's the thing, sometimes she over explains but she never dodges. That's huge to me.

Edit: She did dodge her quotes on Modi a little bit but given her record and her willingness to address her views and policies in specificity. Diplomacy should be celebrated not denigrated, ya dig? lol 

Edited by seanbrock

So at a town hall Tulsi Gabbard was asked, If/When the Democratic party cheats the popular candidate again, would she fight for the people who supported her. Before she could answer some fucking plant in the audience took the mic and started talking about unity among the Democratic party and Tulsi just proceeded to give this long winded answer that said absolutely fucking NOTHING. Really, really pissed me off. Fuck and Bernie is worse on that subject than she is. That really pissed me off, Fam.

North Korea’s state-run news agency responded this week by calling Biden “a fool of low IQ.”

"What he uttered is just sophism of an imbecile bereft of elementary quality as a human being, let alone a politician,”

Biden, who is leading in early polling, has “gone reckless and senseless, seized by ambition for power,” the article published by the news agency said. If he thinks he is the most popular candidate, the news agency said, then that’s “enough to make a cat laugh.”

North Korean press on Joe Biden. This is spot on. ?????

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/05/22/north-korean-calls-joe-biden-an-imbecile-fool-low-iq/?utm_term=.60f74f229f43

I think Biden has a very low chance of winning the primary. And yes, I know what the polls say. But I think he's a high-floor, low-ceiling candidate.

If Biden wins the democrats are fucked. So you know, that is entirely the result I expect to happen by this point. Your political system needs a patch.

@Thanatos and @ everyone else too. I hope you understand what this means.

The sensible center of America — that is, the people who choose presidents in this country — wants to see Donald Trump lose next year, but not if it means empowering the junior totalitarians of the left. Now is Biden’s chance to make it clear he’s just the man to fulfill that hope.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/opinion/biden-2020-millennials.html

Trump is invoking emergency powers to bypass Congress and sell $8 billion worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia and the UAE. 

Holy fuck. This might just be the worst thing he's done to date. He needs to get his ass out of office pronto.

• Upvote 2

Yeah man that is some truly awful...evil shit. Honestly though, is it that out of the ordinary or is Trump just so brazen and oafish that it seems that way. Bush and Obama both really expanded on executive power. Would any of the other Republicans sans Rand Paul have done anything different? No. Would Hillary have? No. This trend has been going on for two decades and 5 presidential terms.

I think if Tulsi got elected she would prosecute the people in this administration, Trump included...or at least I hope so. I really don't think that they can impeach of Russia or obstruction but the next administration would certainly be able to lock him up. He's clearly not good at covering his tracks. It's all a matter of political will 

Bernie Sanders is talking about a plan that would force corporations to give employees stock in their company and also that a percentage of the boardroom is labor. That could be potentially monumental in the distribution of wealth and power in this country. 

I hope Liz Warren gets skull fucked in the debates tonight. She's an Obama/Clinton redux. She's painting herself as a watered down Bernie Sanders. You can be certain that if she's elected we'll have our 4th Republican president since Reagan, nothing will happen with climate change, we will continue to pay for the forever wars on vague ideas without ever being attacked by a sovereign nation, we won't get medicare for all and Wallstreet will continue to run the country. 

You can say that about any of the candidates except Sanders, Gabbard and Gravel. Every single one of the rest of them is a total fucking piece of shit liar.

Did ya'll see Hickenlooper plans to sue any state that outlaws fracking? How is he running as a Democrat? 

• Upvote 1

I understand that among the candidates on stage tonight, Lizzy is leading by a fair margin but if anything that should be reason to let these other candidates talk and answer more questions.

Not that he is anyone... But Tulsi absolutely pwnd Tim Ryan lmao. He's so dumb. 

Also, Cory Booker doubled down on Big Pharma and nobody challenged him on his actual record of bending over and being a puppet for them. I was sickened listening to him. How dare he talk about lowering drug prices when he directly voted against and blocked that exact thing. Loser.

• Upvote 2

If only Warren was like Obama. She's way worse.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thanatos said:

If only Warren was like Obama. She's way worse.

https://observer.com/2017/08/court-admits-dnc-and-debbie-wasserman-schulz-rigged-primaries-against-sanders/

I'm pretty sure we're getting WARren whether we like it or not, my dude. Anyone who threatens the corporate cash flow of the democratic party will be ignored as much as possible and if that doesn't work they will be smeared and if THAT doesn't work they will be outright cheated.