Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

2020 Democratic Primary Race

I just told you the solution. Create jobs, give people opportunities for education and training. You don't think those people would fix up their neighborhoods if they had money and opportunity? There's a place near me called Coatesville. It's drug infested , there's a lot of violence, shit schools and poverty etc. There used to be steel Mills there decades ago and the construction in that town is actually fucking beautiful. You can tell that place had money and when it was going and people were working that it was a great place to live. It's time to update/create new infrastructure. It's time to prepare for the future and not the next quarters earning report.  Pushing the problem to the side isn't a solution. It's time to prioritize people over profit.

1 hour ago, seanbrock said:

I just told you the solution. Create jobs, give people opportunities for education and training. You don't think those people would fix up their neighborhoods if they had money and opportunity? There's a place near me called Coatesville. It's drug infested , there's a lot of violence, shit schools and poverty etc. There used to be steel Mills there decades ago and the construction in that town is actually fucking beautiful. You can tell that place had money and when it was going and people were working that it was a great place to live. It's time to update/create new infrastructure. It's time to prepare for the future and not the next quarters earning report.  Pushing the problem to the side isn't a solution. It's time to prioritize people over profit.

That is not a solution, that is a campaign promise. Seriously think about what you just said. HAve we not been hearing that same tired song and dance since AT LEAST The dirty Thirties ? It subsided in the 50's under great periods of economic development because people were starting business, then it went to shit in the late 60's through the 1980's or at the very least stagnated and then the internet came and people opened more business's. 

Gentrification also creates jobs which is the one thing you say we need more than anything. I think you are extremely uneducated on this topic as are most people with a liberal bias. 

In the 2000's Brooklyn gentrified and has done much better. Washington DC was blamed for displacing residents through gentrification in the early 2000's as well, and it turns out people in Washington Dc were moving out since the 80's. The reason to get away from Crime lol. Then it becomes gentrified and it is a better place to live.

The way the economy actually works when it comes to gentrification is this. People come in and build shops and swanky knick knack stores and then the prices of housing goes up. This creates more tax revenue through property taxes allowing the city to improve basic functions within a city and to polish their city up bringing more people in. There is actually no evidence to suggest that gentrification displaces people. The reason being is because almost all cities and almost all counties have rules for developers that they have to build subsidized housing for people. So this is done through programs like section 8 and rapid rehousing where people only have to pay a portion of rent yet get to live in a better place. These things that have long been established but we use them as political talking points about,"Racism, look at all the white people coming in bringing economic development, that is so bad" says every politician of a shitty neighborhood while they line their pockets with government dollars. 

Elijah Cummings is a perfect example. Anything that has to do with white people is racist, because he himself is racist. Yet he has had control of Baltimore's 7th district for over 2 decades and it has gotten worse and worse as he has passed measures," To stop displacement of poor black families through gentrification" which ALMOST never happens. What he is doing is lining his pockets with government grants and skimming development costs and government subsidies. 

Gentrification is not a problem in Baltimore and it is a dog shit place to live. Washington D.C. was "gentrified" and the monthly earnings of black people with a diploma has skyrocketed. So again tell me how gentrification is bad and give me a good reason other than,"Well, its the rich white persons fault." That is a tired and lame ass excuse for people to halt economic development of struggling areas.

The only people who think gentrification is bad are the people who refuse to do any actual research and instead say," I have seen it with my own eyes." No, you haven't. What you have seen is garbage ass Salon articles and White people are bad Monthly articles about someone's baby's cousin's aunt's step-sister's boyfriend cant get a job because some coffee joint took over the place he used to sling dope. Its a bullshit myth and has been debunked several times over. 

Edited by Omerta

4 hours ago, Omerta said:

Yes but it gives the locals a break. It is cyclical. I have seen it is washington. Places get gentrified it gets too expensive and collapsed and they come back.

Which is it?

25 minutes ago, seanbrock said:

Which is it?

At first I came half hearted, because I didn't think you were serious. Then you were. I didn't realize that you hadn't read the numbers.

Let me get something straight here. Contrary to Trump's assertions, as someone who has lived there, Baltimore, MD, is not "infested with rodents" or w/e other nonsense he saw on Fox News from a person who has zero credentials. This is nothing more or less than Trump's attacking of a political opponent by personally attacking them. It definitely has areas I would not like to be out in at night, for sure. The homicide rate is extremely high and it's got some serious problems. Trump using racist language, again, to attack a minority rep, again, for an extremely complex issue by quoting someone who is unqualified, again, and made a video selectively filming certain areas is doing jack shit to help the problem.

Let's not make this like Trump cares one whit about those people. He's attacking Baltimore to get back at Cummings for being on the oversight committee and actually trying to do his job. Let's also not forget that in 2015, Trump said it was Barack Obama's job to fix Baltimore, he did not attack the sitting rep at that time, because it didn't fit his political narrative.

Also the right's new line of attack that it is Cummings, not Trump, is racist, is laughable in its absurdity. Seems like that's too far even for some Republicans. It's even more hilariously bad considering it was Cummings who came to the GOP's defense when Tlaib accused some of them of being racist back at the beginning of the year. Cummings is not a racist, that idea is ludicrous.

Oh yeah, let's also not forget who owns quite a few of those housing areas designated as "slums", and is even currently being sued in court for not providing livable conditions to his residents- Jared Kushner.

Edited by Thanatos

Trump doesn't care. Nor will he ever. That is akin to people who say but Hillary when Trump does something (I've done it). Just because trump is a piece of shit does not mean Cummings is not.

When Bernie said the very same thing about Baltimore it was not racist. Not excusing Trump, but it is mostly a true statement.

And every time cummings talks about race relations he cant wait to pin it on white oppression. It has nothing to do with Baltimore mayors, and congressman have been ALL black since he took office and it has only gotten worse. Yet it is the white guy. Fuck him. 

Trump saying Cumming is a sack of shit does not make it true. The fact that he is a piece of shit makes him one. He has been one long before trump stumbled ass backwards into a true statement. I brought him up just because it was poignant to gentrification.

Edited by Omerta
  • Upvote 1

Baltimore was ranked as USA Today’s most dangerous city last year and moved down to 3rd this year.

Bernie calling Baltimore a 3rd world country is not far from previous Trump “shithole” remarks. 

Also... (former) mayor of Baltimore ? 

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1155574627869122560?s=20

1 hour ago, seanbrock said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

Gentrification is racist, point, blank, period. 

Haha no it's not.  You're missing so much of this point that it is literally at this point astounding. That entire article was talking about how services such as supermarkets, bank's, and insurance companies, and other basic things that are found in white neighborhoods are not found in "da hood"  Which is kind of racist on Wikipedia's part, but Hey they're going to do them.

Gentrification brings those buildings, they bring those goods and services, I don't understand which part of that you're missing. Now if you have a cra0 credit score, that's not the fault of the bank or gentrification, that's your fault. Pay your bills, and if you can't, I don't know what to say it sucks but why as a lender would you lend to someone who you k ow won't pay you back? That being said a credit score is not inherently racist, all it is is a function of paying your bills on time.

And are you gonna keep moving the goal posts, at 1st you want to talk about gentrification, than you bring up a map from 1936, to show me the definition of redlining. Which has absolutely nothing to do with gentrification, it is almost a complete antithesis of that. You can do better.

I  want to let you in on something else, this is for everybody because people seem to be using it more often. When you say "point blank, period"  that literally translates to I can't carry my point any further than this so Im going to try to shut down the rest of the  Conversation.

You have yet to bring up one bad thing about gentrification other than how you FEEL about it. 

Edited by Omerta

@Thanatossaid somewhere either in a thread or the shoutbox to me when I doubted the polling and I said that the DNC is scrambling to find someone that can legitimately challenge Sanders that I was a conspiracy theorist or whatever but look at that debate. Almost the entire debate was "do you agree with Bernie Sanders?" The entire primary is essentially just based on all of HIS policies and candidates are either flat out running against his agenda (Delaney, Hickenlooper etc) or trying to co-opt it & water it down(see Kamala Harris' med4all/student debt platform). We're talking about a guy that had a town hall on Fox News, was blatantly attacked by the moderators and received an ovation....ON FOX NEWS lol. He's blatantly attacked by CNN and MSNBC too and still he has more money, more donors and more volunteers than any other candidate by far save for maybe Trump who might have more money but I highly doubt he has more donors.

I'll say it again, all these polls that have Biden in the lead are to make it seem like the DNC didn't cheat Bernie again. 

Bernie was center stage last night (because he’s running the highest of the night one candidates) — that’s why they invoke him so much. That’s what happens with top candidates. Do you not think they will do something similar with Biden tonight ?

I also contend that the polling is because Warren is threatening Bernie something fierce. And idk if Bernie and Warren being so friendly to one another last night is going to help him much. 

Those two are fighting for the same exact base. They are going to need to attack each other’s policies and give voters a real reason to choose one over the other. 

If they don’t their probably both losing out.

It's not just the debate though. The debate was just a reflection of the race. Every single candidate running except for Tulsi Gabbard has based their campaign around Sanders' platform to either oppose it or to co-op and bastardize. What makes Gabbard unique is that she's basically a foreign policy candidate. What will you say when night 2 is all about Sanders' policies too? 

On 7/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, Omerta said:

Yes but it gives the locals a break. It is cyclical. I have seen it is washington. Places get gentrified it gets too expensive and collapsed and they come back.

PG and parts of Montgomery County are feeling it now though.  

Playing out the start of the debate like it’s a sporting event rofl. Yang Daddy and Mama Tulsi standing next to each other :O 

Gabbard isn’t getting a lot of time but she’s serving KO after KO ... she just shit alllll over Kamala Harris rofl 

https://reason.com/2019/07/31/tulsi-gabbard-calls-kamala-harris-a-drug-warrior-and-dirty-prosecutor-shes-right/

Harris really fucked herself tonight. She tried going after Joe again like she did in debate 1 but he was much better prepared. Then she side stepped (multiple times) Tulsi’s absolutely devastating comments about her record. 

Shes got to be the big loser tonight. From my view anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Whoever is running Tulsi's campaign is smart. If she can use Kamala to leap over the likes of Mayor Pete and Booker the way she feasted on Tim Ryan and established herself as a tier above him and some of the other 1-3% then I think we'll see her hit Biden on his regime change record in debate 3. If that works then she's up there with Sanders and Warren. If it came down to those three I think you would see her go after Warren. Idk obviously I'm speculating a lot here but I think that's her strategy and it's smart.

It was only a matter of time before Kamala got torn a new asshole. Fuck outta here with her pathetic pandering, fraudulent ass 

Honestly there is nobody who can debate with Tulsi. She would ravage Warren and I still can't for the life of me figure out Bernies appeal. He has great goals and dog shit plans of he even has one. Hard pass but I guess,"Hey, all free shit for everyone." Can sway a lit of people even though he has no real plan. 

That said the DNC has already proven they don't give a shit about who people actually want.  It will probably be Kamala because she is a black woman and Bernie because free shit.  However Tulsi may well have just buried Kamalas campaign before it really began. 

Lmao did yall see Harris' response to Gabbard after the debate? https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/01/politics/tulsi-gabbard-kamala-harris-debate/index.html

"I'm a top-tier candidate and she's polling at 0-1%." She basically said Tulsi was just trying to find a spark to get her on the stage in November and she's beneath her. Hoooly shit. Harris can fuck right off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, that's what you say when you have nothing else to say. When you can't defend the truths hurled at you. When you can't run from your past. 

Cunt.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, seanbrock said:

Whoever is running Tulsi's campaign is smart. If she can use Kamala to leap over the likes of Mayor Pete and Booker the way she feasted on Tim Ryan and established herself as a tier above him and some of the other 1-3% then I think we'll see her hit Biden on his regime change record in debate 3. If that works then she's up there with Sanders and Warren. If it came down to those three I think you would see her go after Warren. Idk obviously I'm speculating a lot here but I think that's her strategy and it's smart.

Yeah the Russians are doing a real good job with this one.

6 hours ago, RazorStar said:

Yeah the Russians are doing a real good job with this one.

Lol

Her biggest opponent is going to be the military industrial complex. Now that she has a little momentum I’m sure the smear campaigns are going to intensify. She loves Assad , etc etc