Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

2020 Democratic Primary Race

I mean he’s very low. My point is he’s buying his way onto the debate stage.  I don’t think there’s anything rigged about it.

I honestly don't think mental illness has much to do with gun violence. Am I wrong? The vast majority of mentally ill people aren't violent.

After all, JD is rather violent. 😛

Edited by RazorStar
  • Like 1

I think every single human being is capable of a heinous crime. We all could do something awful. The difference between you, me, and these awful individuals who commit atrocities is that you and me don't start down that path. You don't take good care of yourself, make good decisions, then decide to shoot up a public place. Committing a heinous crime starts with smaller bad decisions long before the crime takes place. In reality, a heinous crime is the culmination of a succession of bad decisions.

Aside from that, to lump in these people with the mostly non-violent mentally ill is insensitive and lazy. Some people choose to do bad things. Can someone who commits an atrocity also have a mental illness? Sure, but I don't buy that it's something that's always present when something awful happens.

As was discussed in this thread earlier, many of these shooters suffered severe trauma as children. Please tell me about all of the poor life decisions a 5 year old makes that A) puts them in the traumatizing experience to begin with and B) leads them on the path to mass murder. 

A shooter being mentally ill doesn't mean anyone who is mentally ill is a shooter. I think you're the only one falling into that logical fallacy. 

What's lazy is ignoring all of the factors that make us uniquely human. Neither one of us may ever resort to a mass shooting, but that doesn't mean we react to our surroundings and different situations identically or even similarly. How we react is a combination of genetics and life experiences -- each combination being unique to the individual in question. Sometimes those combinations have the potential for lethal results; especially if we begin mixing in prescriptions. 

The discussion, and perhaps your concern, shouldn't end with a labeling of "this person is mentally ill". The discussion needs to evolve into realizing this, and looking for patterns throughout a persons life that makes them more likely to fall into one of those lethal combinations I mentioned above. Then... then we help people. Help people better understand their situations... their traumas... and help them better deal with life in the aftermath of that trauma. And in turn prepare them to make those better choices that you were talking about. Often times though, they don't have the tools or opportunity to do so -- and that needs to change. 

It creates a stigma that people who are mentally ill are more likely to be mass shooters than people who are not. A stigma that is not borne out in reality.

Similar to looking at this problem and supporting a solution that demonizes and stigmatizes law abiding gun owners and users -- which are about 99.99% of all gun owners? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

It creates a stigma that people who are mentally ill are more likely to be mass shooters than people who are not. A stigma that is not borne out in reality.

I think that is inaccurate. Most people who do these have AT MINIMUM major depression. Even the study you linked said that.

You can need mental health treatment without being mentally ill, right?  To me mental health has to be a factor and it's got to be caused by social issues. We need to figure out which ones. This isn't ALL about access to guns. I think people like Limbaugh, and Hannity and Carlson are part of the issue. The way they sensationalize racial issues is dangerous. More dangerous than the #metoo stuff which is devisive but decidedly less violent. 

So tell me again, how is Bernie Sanders a coward? Lol I was floored when he said if they want to bar US Congress members from entering Israel then maybe they should deny the billions we give them in aid. This is the Bernie we need. He's actually fighting this time around. 

Sounds like lots of talk.  But he does need a spark with Warren kicking his old ass out of the race. lol 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Similar to looking at this problem and supporting a solution that demonizes and stigmatizes law abiding gun owners and users -- which are about 99.99% of all gun owners? 

There is a difference between owning an inanimate object and having something wrong with YOU. And the continual strawman in this topic is really wearing on me. Who in here is advocating what you guys keep crying about- banning guns? No one that I'm aware of. I laid out solutions, how about engaging with that instead of constantly bringing up arguments that aren't being used by anyone except the extreme left?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

There is a difference between owning an inanimate object and having something wrong with YOU. And the continual strawman in this topic is really wearing on me. Who in here is advocating what you guys keep crying about- banning guns? No one that I'm aware of. I laid out solutions, how about engaging with that instead of constantly bringing up arguments that aren't being used by anyone except the extreme left?

Yeah I think this is a key point. Most of us are actually in agreement that we need sensible gun safety regulation. My thing is that it can't stop there. There are social and economic issues at play here and the race baiting of the right is a huge issue. I would love to see states or victims sue Fox and conservative talk radio and news outlets like Breitbart for damages. That's the only thing that could stop them from race baiting. 

"Demand that Isreal and Palestinian leaders sit down and start working out their differences" 

source.gif

Nice one Bernie

• Upvote 2

Just wanted to add that #metoo and things of that nature on the left make it easy for the creeps at Fox news to make their pitch that white people are under attack. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Hard to see how priveldged you are when you're living in poverty like millions of white people are. Most white people have no money and no power just like an immigrant or a minority so blaming low information/misinformed white voters makes similarly very little sense. We need to figure out how to unite people.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Didn't you say we should ban guns? I swear we went around this. 

1 minute ago, Omerta said:

Didn't you say we should ban guns? I swear we went around this. 

Yeah I think we agree on a lot more than we think we do. Imma make a poll with a bunch of these questions.

For the record, I think a civilian has no business owning an assault rifle or like, grenades. I don't think we should just flat out ban all guns.

Here. Let's see what common ground we have before we keep just going after each other for positions that no one holds:

Edited by Thanatos

2 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Who in here is advocating what you guys keep crying about- banning guns? 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, Thanatos said:

I don't want to take all guns away, just assault weapons. 

7 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

I wasn't aware 99.9% of gun owners have assault weapons.

Tongue-in-cheek aside, go do this: 

I kind of tend to agree that people don't need assault rifles and the idea that even with assault rifles that we could take down the government is laughable. My concern is the logistics behind an assault rifles ban. Is it possible? I mean, I guess you could make a law banning them but I would personally rather keep track of them and the people that try and fail to purchase them due to a stringent background test. I just think that it would lead to people making their own unsafe and unregistered weapons. All your need is the specs if you're a machinist and I'm sure one or a thousand might figure out that they can get rich making these weapons. 

2 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

I wasn't aware 99.9% of gun owners have assault weapons.

Tongue-in-cheek aside, go do this: 

You're stigmatizing all gun owners by attacking their rights. That's the point. That sentence definitely doesn't say that all gun owners have assault weapons. 

That one went over your head. lol. 

Just now, seanbrock said:

I kind of tend to agree that people don't need assault rifles and the idea that even with assault rifles that we could take down the government is laughable. My concern is the logistics behind an assault rifles ban. Is it possible? I mean, I guess you could make a law banning them but I would personally rather keep track of them and the people that try and fail to purchase them due to a stringent background test. I just think that it would lead to people making their own unsafe and unregistered weapons. All your need is the specs if you're a machinist and I'm sure one or a thousand might figure out that they can get rich making these weapons. 

I'm not in the business of telling people how to live their lives -- and neither should the government.

Well what if my hobby is raping bitches. Should I just be allowed to live my best life? Lol I hear what you're saying bro but we need some rules. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

You're stigmatizing all gun owners by attacking their rights. That's the point. That sentence definitely doesn't say that all gun owners have assault weapons. 

That one went over your head. lol. 

I'm not in the business of telling people how to live their lives -- and neither should the government.

Apparently my sarcasm went right over your head, even though I explicitly said "tongue-in-cheek aside."

"Attacking their rights" by saying that the average  private citizen shouldn't have assault rifles. Okay. Owning an assault weapon is not a right. If you think the government has no business telling people how to live their lives, what's your argument against me purchasing an ICBM. Or a tank. Or a bazooka. Take your pick. There are regulations, common sense regulations, we can use here.

Plus your analogy is simply a bad analogy, sorry friendo. I can choose whether to purchase an assault rifle. I can't choose if I'm mentally ill.

Edited by Thanatos