Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Game of Thrones Final Season **SPOILER WARNING**

You’re right. But she doesn’t fly away until after she charges the fleet and gets shot at multiple times. You see her scream in pain and agony... charge the fleet...then fly away when she actually realizes how outmatched she is. This makes sense for the character. Rhaegal dying and then her flying away immediately is not in character. At least in my opinion. 

Didnt you say it didn’t make sense for Cersei to spare Tyrion at the gates? I could be wrong and if I am, my apologies. Whether you did or not, however, I think we can agree that her impulse is to kill Tyrion which is why her arches draw back. But she levels out and my guess... is has a “ better “ (in her mind) way to kill him that will be more satisfying ... or maybe she wants him to see Dany get crushed and grovel for his life or a million other things. She blames Tyrion for everything and she has him within her grasp. Seems in-Cersei like to just shoot him with some arrows like that. I don’t think she’d get as much pleasure out of him dying that way. 

Well, if that doesn’t get everyone on team Jon I don’t know what will. 

• Upvote 1

So... mad queen it is.

• Upvote 1

So Jaime really just left Brienne to go back to Cersei to save her? 

At least the Hound got an ending he deserved. That part with Arya was good.

Again, Arya could EASILY just kill Dany.

Weiss and Benioff are hacks. The actors and the production quality make this still watchable but what they've done to Martin's work is down right shameful. 

He loves her. Stood by her for some h speakable shit. While sad and a bit disappointing... that’s not exactly out of character for Jamie. He’s not a good guy even if he’s redeemed himself a bit.

Thats a good theme for this episode... are there really any “good” guys? 

The one good guy was snitched in and burned thanks to Tyrion. 

Also I think Arya is in play to kill Dany now. That’d be nifty. 

I’d really love for Dany to go to Winterfell to kill Sansa ... or maybe look to execute Tyrion or Jon himself... commands Drogon to do so, but Jon steps in... Drogon stops and Jon gets him to stand down. Idk how realistic that would be considering Danys bond with him.... but Drogon turning / disobeying her would be the ultimate and final betrayal / let down on her long journey. 

5 minutes ago, seanbrock said:

So Jaime really just left Brienne to go back to Cersei to save her? 

At least the Hound got an ending he deserved. That part with Arya was good.

Again, Arya could EASILY just kill Dany.

Weiss and Benioff are hacks. The actors and the production quality make this still watchable but what they've done to Martin's work is down right shameful. 

Problem is ... Martin gave them the main plots to end the series years ago. Lol. 

They sat down for like a full week... they went through every character and how their story would end. 

As we talked about before.. this is very rushed and condensed version of events. I think a lot of this season and especially this episode is just a paint by numbers of what Martin told them. I’m not sure how much creative liberty they took. 

We wont know until the books come out... and hell even then we may not know. With everyone being entitled cunts, Martin may just change it. 

This was a much better battle episode than the one at winterfell. Better lighting helps of course, but having it just be a rout was glorious. Sure there were a few contrivances here and there, but the action was shot a lot tighter, and the dramatic moments had way more gravitas to them. Cleganebowl was fucking hype, Jamie and Cersei dying in each other's arms was poetic, and Arya's mad quest for revenge was dashed by one angry gorl and her drogon. 

What I'm really saying is, All hail Queen Sansa.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, RazorStar said:

This was a much better battle episode than the one at winterfell. Better lighting helps of course, but having it just be a rout was glorious. Sure there were a few contrivances here and there, but the action was shot a lot tighter, and the dramatic moments had way more gravitas to them. Cleganebowl was fucking hype, Jamie and Cersei dying in each other's arms was poetic, and Arya's mad quest for revenge was dashed by one angry gorl and her drogon. 

What I'm really saying is, All hail Queen Sansa.

You're a smart guy Razor. 

I thought it was a very good episode. Maybe not exactly how I would have written it... but overall, I thought it was loyal to these characters, their arcs, etc.

Also, following Arya out of the city was so intense. So well shot... really immersed you into what it was like for the people of King's Landing.

• Upvote 1

I also don’t think that was out of character for Jamie, it was apparent from the first episode he would do some fucked up shit for Cersei, he was just throwing a pity fuck to Brienne because she saved his life a couple times. He was always the “bad” guy, at least thats what almost everyone in that world thought of him after he killed the Mad King and he believed it a bit himself. 

I was hoping for a clear victor in the Cleganebowl but they both got what they always wanted it seems. 

Now the the question is who gets to kill Dany and her Dragon. 

Edited by Barracuda
  • Upvote 2

With the single exception of Drogon suddenly being able to dodge all the scorpion bolts and no one discussing why that is the plan despite what happened the last time dragons went up against scorpions, that was a good episode. Probably rate it just behind ep.2.

More thoughts later I have to go to work.

1 hour ago, Barracuda said:

I also don’t think that was out of character for Jamie, it was apparent from the first episode he would do some fucked up shit for Cersei, he was just throwing a pity fuck to Brienne because she saved his life a couple times. He was always the “bad” guy, at least thats what almost everyone in that world thought of him after he killed the Mad King and he believed it a bit himself. 

I was hoping for a clear victor in the Cleganebowl but they both got what they always wanted it seems. 

Now the the question is who gets to kill Dany and her Dragon. 

I, too, would’ve liked a more clear winner for Clegane Bowl. Just on a personal level, it would have been so satisfying to see Hound take down that big zombie fuck. As we’ve learned for the last decade though, this ain’t a happy story lol. 

But man what an awesome sequence that was. Fighting on that staircase with the building crumbling around them. The sky as the backdrop, Drogon flying around breathing fire.... Hound almost getting Oberyn’d and just when you think he wins, Zombie Mountain recovers from a dagger through the eye / brain... then the fall into a fiery inferno below. So poetic. That shit was art. Amazing. 

I kind of answered the latter earlier but it would be so epic if Drogon turned on Dany... lmao. Again, I don’t find it likely...  it is laugh my ass off. 

My thought tho...Even if / when Dany is “dealt with” ... what are the unsullied and Remaining Dothraki going to do? Just peace out back to Essos ? Maybe I suppose... 

The whole thing with Jaime was that was the good guy all along. He saved Kings Landing from the Mad King and his Pyromancers. He saved his family from Robert Boratheon. He saved Brienne twice when he could have just kept his mouth shut and he'd still have his hand. He tried to end wars to save lives at the cost of his own first with Rob and then by charging a fucking Dragon with a Lance and one good hand. He knew he had to go North and fight for the living. He didn't throw a pity party for Brienne. She's the only person besides Tyrion who really sees him for who he is and that includes Cersei. didn't you see their reunion at River Run. He saved Tyrion from being executed by his own family. He was the only person in Tyrion's whole life that didn't hate him and he was there for him always.  I think in return Jaime the only one who sees Brienne for who she is. Sorry but him going back to be with Cersei is absolute fucking trash.

Edited by seanbrock

24 minutes ago, seanbrock said:

The whole thing with Jaime was that was the good guy all along. He saved Kings Landing from the Mad King and his Pyromancers. He saved his family from Robert Boratheon. He saved Brienne twice when he could have just kept his mouth shut and he'd still have his hand. He tried to end wars to save lives at the cost of his own first with Rob and then by charging a fucking Dragon with a Lance and one good hand. He knew he had to go North and fight for the living. He didn't throw a pity party for Brienne. She's the only person besides Tyrion who really sees him for who he is and that includes Cersei. didn't you see their reunion at River Run. He saved Tyrion from being executed by his own family. He was the only person in Tyrion's whole life that didn't hate him and he was there for him always.  I think in return Jaime the only one who sees Brienne for who she is. Sorry but him going back to be with Cersei is absolute fucking trash.

Sure, we as the all omnipotent viewer have most of the context and understand that the things Jamie did were generally for the best. He did some good things, and did some bad things. 

My only point with Jamie is that the majority of the characters don’t have that context. They just know him as the Kingslayer that fucks his own sister. I just assume most of them don’t think of him as a “good” guy and that’s partly why he doesnt think so either.

Idk man, I think all that works if he stays with Brienne in Winterfell as an outsider, as a Lannister. I don't think anyone but Brienne (and a few of his Lannister peeps like his brother, Bronn, Pod) had a lot of respect for him or saw him as a hero. If it wasn't for Jon and Bran understanding that they needed everyone they could get to fight the dead he'd have been executed...which makes his decision to go there and stay there even more powerful. 

Also, I don’t know what this says about me but I found the actress playing Dany 10x more sexually attractive in that scene where it seems she hasn’t eaten or slept for a week. 

• Haha 1

Crazy pussy is the best pussy. This is practically scientific law.

Edited by seanbrock

2 hours ago, seanbrock said:

Before I tell you how wrong you are, I will say "good" and "bad" are subjective. If you're sympathetic to the Lannisters, naturally you're going to think of Jamie as a good guy. And, to be fair calling someone wholly good or wholly bad doesn't give them enough credit.

However... If you thought Jamie was a good guy all along, I'm gonna tell you that you're probably a little nuts. We're introduced to Jamie, largely, by watching him PUSH A SMALL CHILD OUT OF A WINDOW. 

I think the point of his character was to be introduced as a pompous POS douche canoe, whose character is unraveled and made more complex throughout the story. In the end, he exactly where and how he deserved IMO. You can think that him wanting to be with his one true love while they both die is "trash"... but I think you're very wrong. 

• Upvote 1

d31.jpg

Best episode of the season, mostly just off of the cinematography alone.  (That scene) :phew:

Qyburn's death was the best part of the episode. 

Jamie's character arc was somewhat disappointing but at the same time...not that surprising. 

I know a lot of people disliked the ending for Cersei but I thought it was good. She finally broke down and her empire collapsed on top of her. On mother's day. 

Dany being brought to madness by Westeros --- I think they did pretty good in the build up for that within the episode. Is it hinted at how she knows someone betrayed her though? 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I can see why people were upset about the ending for Cersei. I think a lot of people (including myself) were expecting something a little grander... And the show spent her final moments humanizing her and ended up giving her a death that she would have likely chosen had she been forced to pick.  That's how the arc for our "bad guy" ended... while our "good guy" is out there slaughtering thousands of innocent women and children. Like I said, I can understand the gripes... but it was done well IMO.

Jaime's arc went a full 360 degrees. He deserved exactly what he got, even at the end, even after everything Cersei did to him, he is still trying to save her. 

There is only one huge flaw I have with this episode and I can't even reveal what it is because I'm pretty sure it spoils episode 6. So I'll come back to it after next Sunday.

But the Hound and Arya- especially her calling him by name- Dany sitting on the dragon just glaring around before going to attack.

I think the point of it- again, not spelled out on-screen, which I think it should have been via a conversation between Varys and Tyrion- is she knows if its simply about love, the people will side with Jon. More people love him than her. So if she just lets KL surrender, she believes eventually she will lose. The people will side with Jon. So she has nothing left but to make them fear her. So she burns down the city.

I also don't agree its out of character for the Unsullied to take part in the slaughter. With the single exception of Grey Worm, who has his own reasons for being unhinged atm, the Unsullied are near-emotionless. They follow their leader. You remember these are the same soldiers that are required to kill a puppy that is given to them after raising it for a whole year.

Cleganebowl was fantastic, Qyburn dying to his own creation brutally and quickly was amazing, Cersei literally having her empire collapse on her... this was such a good episode. Now instead of Cersei being the final big bad, its Daenarys. I still think the NK's storyline needed better wrapping up- and the plot and battle tactics were a mess- but 5 has singlehandedly redeemed 3 and 4 for me. At the moment.

• Upvote 1

You know what would be sweet.... Jon is about to announce to the realm his heritage. Dany decides she has to take care of him, does a little Dracarys action but Jon is barely hurt or not hurt by the fire... latter might be Protection by the Lord of Light ... the former proving his Targaryen bloodline to everyone. Dany in an effort to stop the secret from spreading more makes it come alive. That’d be sick. 

or... and somebody mentioned this guy earlier in the thread, can’t look r/n... but is Gendry Azor Ahai... is mofo Gendry the prince that was promised??? Rofl. Oh boy. Can’t wait for Sunday.

edit:

Would people freak the F out if a “secondary” character or at least none of our main characters sit on the iron throne at the end of this final episode ??

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

As usual, I'm late getting to this thread and most of y'all have already spelled out my thoughts. So I'll be brief except for one talking point.

I loved the episode. I loved where all the characters ended up, even if I had minor quibbles with how they got there (that's basically my summation of seasons 7 and 8). Varys' death? Awesome. Clegeanebowl? Awesome. Jamie and Cersei's death? Awesome. Arya's realization? Awesome. Jon's horror at battle? Awesome.

Now let's focus on Daenerys. I can certainly understand how someone could dislike her actions in this episode (one friend told me it ruined the show for him and he may not watch the finale), but it worked for me on two levels.

First, as a viewer, I was floored when my excitement at watching Drogon obliterate the Golden Company turned to shock at Daenerys burning the entire city to the ground. It was probably the biggest, most effective shock of the series since...Cersei blowing the Sept of Baelor? Let's be real; this is the penultimate episode of the entire series, and it comes with astronomical expectations. Penultimate episodes of every season so far have included game-changing battles and betrayals. If this episode were just another battle ending with another ruler taking the Iron Throne, it would have been a little disappointing. But for us to watch all of King's Landing get absolutely destroyed? Fuck yeah, that works.

Second, as a character, Daenery's descent makes sense to me. Has the show built up to it properly? I would say not quite, but the groundwork is there. (All her time as a liberator in Slaver's Bay seems a bit odd now, I concede.) Like Cersei, she is totally out of allies. She has come all this way to Westeros, and she knows there's no way for her to save the world and rule peacefully. Maybe there never was. So, is she about to just sail back to Essos? No way. Finally, she stops fighting what has been inside her all along. She embraces her inner Targaryen and takes what is hers--with fire and blood.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 2

I still say the whole Jaime angle is trash. You guys are crazy lol.

• Upvote 1

You think Jamie’s been a good guy this entire time... you’re the crazy one, bro. Lol. 

I understand people’s frustrations with Dany. She’s been pegged as the hero since Day 1. She was the one the show and we as viewers put faith and trust into over and over again. And with how fast the descent to madness happens, I think people just feel betrayed and have gotten angry over it. 

The books 100% with her POV chapters will delve into this way more. But the show does a fine job with the time it had. It’s totally logical. 

Also, I’m kinda stealing this from David Benioff who said it in the post episode stuff... but idk if Dany succumbs to this madness if she doesn’t take all these hits in succession. Losing two of her children, Jorah, Missandei, Jon’s heritage, Jon not being able to give her the D, etc etc. I don’t think this is the same inherent Targaryen madness we are seeing here necessarily. She’s driven to this madness and without these veg specific things happening I don’t think she ever “turns”. 

I mean... if Jon fucks her up there before her “ Fear it is “... speech... does she fully descend ? We will never know but I’m not so sure.