Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Game of Thrones Final Season **SPOILER WARNING**

The only bad thing Jaime did that wasn't for the greater good was killing his cousin to try and escape. What he did to Bran was horrible yes, but it literally could have meant the end for his entire family. Not just Cersei and the kids and Tyrion lol. What other actions did Jaime take in the story that wasn't for the greater good or in defense of his loved ones?

1 minute ago, seanbrock said:

The only bad thing Jaime did that wasn't for the greater good was killing his cousin to try and escape. What he did to Bran was horrible yes, but it literally could have meant the end for his entire family. Not just Cersei and the kids and Tyrion lol. What other actions did Jaime take in the story that wasn't for the greater good or in defense of his loved ones?

This logic means Cersei was a good person the entire time. Her children were everything. Everything she did was for them. She was a mother, and a loving one at that. She sacrificed everything for them and in the end, died for it. What a hero. God Bless you Cersei. *tear*

19 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

This logic means Cersei was a good person the entire time. Her children were everything. Everything she did was for them. She was a mother, and a loving one at that. She sacrificed everything for them and in the end, died for it. What a hero. God Bless you Cersei. *tear*

No lol No it wasn't. Everything Cersei did was not for her children. Cersei wanted to rule because she thought that she was best fit to carry on her father's legacy. She though Jaime was an idiot and I think she respected Tyrion's intellect but...he's a dwarf and she though foolishly that she was still smarter than him too. She did everything to achieve that goal and what did it cost her? Everything. Everything she loved. Her Children and it SHOULD have cost her Jaime too. Really Jaime has never been anything like Cersei. He never cared about being Lord of Casterly Rock. He never even thought about being King and would never want that either. Jaime just wanted to be happy with the woman he thought he was in love with. You're cray cray.

It felt like a plot twist just for the sake of being a plot twist 

Edited by seanbrock

Pass that blunt homie. 

I loved the end of Jamie's arc, I just felt it was a bit clumsy how he got there. Everything about his final conversation with Tyrion was great. Everything about him finding Cersei in King's Landing was great.

Him deciding to stay in Winterfell with Brienne and then suddenly deciding to leave? Less than great.

As I said, my main takeaway from seasons 7/8 is the showrunners had good ways to end character and story arcs, but didn't arrive there in the smoothest way.

There are 8th graders that would have done a better job writing the end of this show lol. 

Credit to the directors and the actors in salvaging what's possible of this shit show lol

Edited by seanbrock

2 hours ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

You think Jamie’s been a good guy this entire time... you’re the crazy one, bro. Lol. 

I understand people’s frustrations with Dany. She’s been pegged as the hero since Day 1. She was the one the show and we as viewers put faith and trust into over and over again. And with how fast the descent to madness happens, I think people just feel betrayed and have gotten angry over it. 

The books 100% with her POV chapters will delve into this way more. But the show does a fine job with the time it had. It’s totally logical. 

Also, I’m kinda stealing this from David Benioff who said it in the post episode stuff... but idk if Dany succumbs to this madness if she doesn’t take all these hits in succession. Losing two of her children, Jorah, Missandei, Jon’s heritage, Jon not being able to give her the D, etc etc. I don’t think this is the same inherent Targaryen madness we are seeing here necessarily. She’s driven to this madness and without these veg specific things happening I don’t think she ever “turns”. 

I mean... if Jon fucks her up there before her “ Fear it is “... speech... does she fully descend ? We will never know but I’m not so sure. 

I think the fact that he says "Dany is a strong character" after the episodes suggests this was definitely more of a calculation then a descent to madness anyways, right? There is logic to back that up if Dany came to the conclusion of "screw this place, the easiest path is to exert my power and take control with fear." Everyone she interacts with from Westeros either died, betrayed her, or acted against her (Cersei, Euron, Sansa). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seanbrock said:

There are 8th graders that would have done a better job writing the end of this show lol. 

Credit to the directors and the actors in salvaging what's possible of this shit show lol

I don’t disagree with you on Benioff and Weiss’ poor writing. But as far as these major character deaths and major plot points... how much do you think they actually fully conceived themselves? If you have a problem with some dialogue , okay I give you that.  But these deaths are Martin’s circa 2014 or whenever his meeting with them was.  until I hear him say otherwise I have no reason to believe otherwise. 

2 hours ago, seanbrock said:

So here's my pitch on how to end Game of Thrones. In a major plot twist we learn that Sansa has arrived in Kings Landing/Dragonstone or whatever. She left shortly after Jon and let Bran hold it the fuck down as lord of winterfell. When everyone spends the whole episode being all like "how do we get rid of this bitch without getting bbq'd?" Sansa sneaks into the throne room or maybe even Dany's private quarters, seduces her and after a long and drawn out but also very passionate and captivating lesbian sex scene, Sansa convinces Dany that Jon should be King and everyone lives happily ever after.

e298852d62766f9e2cd73be0bfa8e233595dff5a

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

One plot point that the show runners have ignored to our collective frustration in regards to Dany is: Do the carpets match th drapes. I think after 8 seasons we deserve an answer to that question.

• Upvote 1

The actors are even talking about how shit this season has been has a whole lol. 

Lmao. The best thing about this show is the memes now. Sean will like the first one:

yQFa3mj.jpg

I4EiAue.jpg

fnDSIC2.jpg

Edited by Thanatos
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Benioff put more effort into his hair for season 8 than he did for the actual show lol. Seriously though, show me an actual good writer that cares that much about their hair. I fucking hate Benioff and Weiss. I shudder to think how bad Star Wars will be now that they're involved. Stay strong, Vin. May the force be with you haha.

Did people not want to see the Hound and Mountain fight? Isn’t that what we wanted since like season 1? 

Did people really want a fantasy ending where Jon and Dany get married have kids and live happily ever after? 

Did people really expect Jamie to either kill  Cersei or just forget that she and their child are about to certainly be killed?

I don’t understand these people. The show has to end, or else is lives to be The Walking Dead which has been unwatchable now for many years. 

• Upvote 2

Not at all. The ending is simply rushed as fuck.

• Upvote 1

I believe this quote is attributed to Bruce Willis: “It’s a movie, so move.”

At the end of last season we knew this giant war was about to breakout. We don’t need two seasons in between to lead into it. 

Thats what the books are for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem is when you only do two characters justice in a show like that, you suck. They obviously love Arya and the Hound and they absolutely nailed everything about both of them. My problem is with what they did with Jaime. My problem is they turned Jon Snow into a bitch and not because he didn't kill the NK. There is no way Jon says nothing before marching those people into another war. Maybe in the end he obeys but to say nothing? I mean, I get that they wanted to make Sansa more likeable but (which her knocking some sense into Jon would anyway) Jon had more than enough clout to make some sort of stand there. It could have happened in literally 5 extra minutes. It also would have mad the tension a lot more clear with Tyrion, Jon, Varys and Sansa all going against Dany. Idk 

Like Than said also it isn't even just the horrible fucking retarded way they ended some of the best character arcs ever written but the way none of it made any fucking sense. I don't think 'rushed even begins to describe it. 

Edited by seanbrock

You never answered my question earlier Sean about how much of this is Benioff and Weiss ‘s creation.

With a few exceptions GRRM has said the endings are going to be very similar.... idk what else you want or need lol. 

So with this season being critically trash, and since they don't have book material and GMRNS to fall back on, how bad is DnD's Star Wars trilogy gonna be?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

You never answered my question earlier Sean about how much of this is Benioff and Weiss ‘s creation.

With a few exceptions GRRM has said the endings are going to be very similar.... idk what else you want or need lol. 

He actually said they would be different, substantially so, as of the end of March. He has also said that fan theories on reddit have correctly guessed the "true" ending.

I ain't denying Dany is probably going to go mad and shit, those little clues have been there almost since Day 1. But to act like they're going to be the same because the end-point will be the same is disingenuous. 

GoT Season 8 is by and large complete and utter garbage when you compare it to the rest of the show. Season 7 had some major fucking plotholes, but we let them go because we were thinking they would be wrapped up in 8. 

All you have to do is look at how critically acclaimed the show was for the first six seasons at least, even 7 is way better, and then look at the ratings for season 8. Acting like skipping character development to get to the same end-point is somehow a satisfying conclusion to what used to be one of the best TV shows out there is simply living in denial at this point.

The battle tactics make no sense, the plot lines make no sense.

Hell here's a very minor thing that just rubs me the wrong way. Varys, the master of spies, IN FULL VIEW OF EVERYONE goes up to Jon and tries to convince him- while on an ISLAND surrounded by Dany's forces- that he should... I'm not sure what exactly. Betray Dany and die for it immediately? Did he think he was out of view of everyone else? 

Seasons 7 and 8 have been and will be known for otherwise smart people doing very very dumb things.

Jon, refusing to get on a dragon, instead killing some meaningless wights. 

Tyrion not even thinking about putting people in crypts with dead people versus someone who can raise the dead, (the actor even calls out how stupid this is).

Littlefinger not leaving himself any sort of out if his plan fails.

Dany insisting that Cersei grows stronger each and every day they wait when the opposite is true and refusing to give her soldiers or her dragons any rest.

Dany "forgetting about Euron and his fleet" despite it having been brought up by Jaime literally 48 hours earlier.

Euron simply allowing all of Dany's forces to swim to shore after destroying their fleet and killing a dragon.

This show is shit now and its incredibly fucking disappointing. Why should we have a satisfying ending when we can just let the books do it? Maybe the same reason that Avenger's Endgame gave us a thrilling conclusion to Marvel's journey? Because its fucking awesome? We're seriously sitting here justifying shit writing and a rushed as fuck ending because GRRM is going to write about what's in-between? Give me a fucking break.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

Also, George is probably hesitant to trash the show because he's making money off it. That and I'm sure there's also all kinds of shit in HBO's contracts that he could be sued over.

The comments he’s made of them not being much different came in April, which is after your unsourced “radically different” quote. 

Shows fine. You guys are just overreacting and nitpicking. We could’ve gotten like 5 more seasons but they didn’t want to do that... oh well. ?‍♂️

still got 3 prequel series, one of which is starting filming soon and coming out next hear so that should be hype. 

1 hour ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

The comments he’s made of them not being much different came in April, which is after your unsourced “radically different” quote. 

Shows fine. You guys are just overreacting and nitpicking. We could’ve gotten like 5 more seasons but they didn’t want to do that... oh well. ?‍♂️

still got 3 prequel series, one of which is starting filming soon and coming out next hear so that should be hype. 

If by you guys, you mean the majority of everyone watching the show and reddit and the internet as a whole- which I may add, loved this show even last season- then yeah, sure. Totally just us nitpicking. Criticizing the fact that they have ignored any and all character development to rush an ending so they can do Star Wars is "nitpicking" now. Calling out characters for doing things that are insanely stupid and completely out of character is "nitpicking" now. GoT has *always* been about the characters. Destroying them like this is almost worse than the stupid plotline in general. You can't seriously think this season lives up to GoT levels. That's just objectively wrong at this point. IMDB has it around a 6.5 when every other season has been 8+. It's a shitty as fuck ending to the best show I've seen. HBO originally wanted 10 seasons, these shit writers wanted to be done with it. HBO should have used the intervening year to can the pair of them and get two people that actually want to direct the final episodes of GoT.

I will guarantee you that Martin is not going to write the same shit ending DB and Weiss have. I have five books that say otherwise and years of work into a universe he has created. What you are missing is that all that Martin has said is that he has told them how it ends- and so therefore he doesn't think the main points will differ. Even IF we take that at face value, let me give you an example here. If the LOTR skipped Frodo's POV for the entirety of the last two books and then suddenly, right when Aragorn is about to die, boom, Sauron dies because Frodo dropped the ring in, that would be unsatisfactory as fuck. Because we weren't shown the journey, we weren't shown the struggles. Just the conclusion. Is it the same ending? I mean, I guess? You can have the same major plot points and have a vastly different feeling to the ending.

It's like one of my favorite comics says about the phrase "one thing led to another." He's like that is shit writing, you're supposed to tell us what happened. Season 8 has essentially been: They killed the Night King. One thing lead to another, and Daenarys burned King's Landing to the ground.

Edited by Thanatos

This season has definitely brought some awesome parodies though, memes and videos: