Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Game of Thrones Final Season **SPOILER WARNING**

I don’t know if it’s the majority. Maybe like half. Overreaction was in the cards for those peeps though. Outrage culture is strong. Very much alive and well. 

Shows brought us on a beautiful journey. No reason to go in full out rage mode, for me. Such a waste of energy. But I do still enjoy seeing what you guys have complaints about and talking about it. I will never think Jaime was meant to be a good character from Day 1 like all of you. Just can’t get there, but that’s nature of debate I suppose. Ha 

Sure, sure, all of those valid complaints are just "outrage culture." Sean's right, you really should be the PR guy for HBO. Just looking at polls taken about the season in general- which again, normally are 8+, if not 8.5+, people have this one at a 5.5. Every single place I have seen that grades TV series has this one sitting a good 20-30% behind the others. Feel free to correct me here. But I think its most certainly a majority of people that fall into either A) This season is not as good as the previous ones or B) this season is just shit.

IMDB for example. Every single episode from season 1 to season 7. The lowest rated episode was an 8.1- season 5 episode 6. With this sole exception, every other episode is 8.5+. There are multiple 9.9s- Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, the Winds of Winter- Season 6 ends on two straight 9.9s.

Season 8? The highest rated is episode 2- 8.4. This is the only episode of season 8 that is ahead of any other GoT episode- and it just beats one.

Rotten Tomatoes? Seasons 1-7 in order (using critics): 91, 96, 96, 97, 93, 94, 93. The lowest audience score is 87.

Season 8? 71 on critics- 41 on audience score. 

Now I'm not saying you can't enjoy season 8 or anything like that. I am merely pointing out this is hardly a small group. The consensus is that 8 is significantly worse than the previous 7, and the argument that Martin can just flesh it out in the books is an exceptionally weak one, especially given the strong send-off to Avengers that stands in such stark contract to 8.

I will say, however, that as far as I've seen Cleganebowl has been exempt from most people's complaints. That was an excellent send-off. 

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

There's no doubt this season has been lesser received than any so far. Maybe it's just a victim of astronomical expectations, but it seems like the consensus is Thrones is blowing its endgame.

As you guys know, I have been a fan of this season's action episodes (first episode was average and fourth had big problems), but I have a terrible feeling the finale will be horrible. So we'll see.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Sure, sure, all of those valid complaints are just "outrage culture." Sean's right, you really should be the PR guy for HBO. Just looking at polls taken about the season in general- which again, normally are 8+, if not 8.5+, people have this one at a 5.5. Every single place I have seen that grades TV series has this one sitting a good 20-30% behind the others. Feel free to correct me here. But I think its most certainly a majority of people that fall into either A) This season is not as good as the previous ones or B) this season is just shit.

IMDB for example. Every single episode from season 1 to season 7. The lowest rated episode was an 8.1- season 5 episode 6. With this sole exception, every other episode is 8.5+. There are multiple 9.9s- Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, the Winds of Winter- Season 6 ends on two straight 9.9s.

Season 8? The highest rated is episode 2- 8.4. This is the only episode of season 8 that is ahead of any other GoT episode- and it just beats one.

Rotten Tomatoes? Seasons 1-7 in order (using critics): 91, 96, 96, 97, 93, 94, 93. The lowest audience score is 87.

Season 8? 71 on critics- 41 on audience score. 

Now I'm not saying you can't enjoy season 8 or anything like that. I am merely pointing out this is hardly a small group. The consensus is that 8 is significantly worse than the previous 7, and the argument that Martin can just flesh it out in the books is an exceptionally weak one, especially given the strong send-off to Avengers that stands in such stark contract to 8.

I will say, however, that as far as I've seen Cleganebowl has been exempt from most people's complaints. That was an excellent send-off. 

I've fully admitted the faults of the show. I say what I think is wrong with it, then you just copy what I said... Lol. The only difference is you're outraged. You're feeding of the rage of others and doubling down. When you aren't agreeing with me, you're just posting things almost word for word off Facebook posts... Like the " At least GoT Seas 8 is good for the memes ". That's not a creative or original thought, it's the rage. 

And I agree with Stevo too. Expectations were high. Really high. Everyone had an ending they were imagining in their head over the last 8 years... Well, the show is actually ending and not everyone is getting it the exact way they want -- which leads to the complaints and outrage. Some complaints are valid, others not. I've sat here and agreed with you on multiple points, I've agreed with Bjorn on multiple points. 

Also, I think you posting the ratings and scores backs up what Stevo brought up and I added onto... Expectations were high, people didn't get it exactly as they wanted it. Ya'll are outraged, you see other people outraged and you want everyone else to know how outraged you are. That's cool. It is what it is. lol

I jumped on the " this is super condensed " bandwagon very early in this thread... Mostly everyone seems to agree with that. I jumped on the Benioff and Weiss aren't good writers bandwagon. We agree on a lot of the main broader gripes of this season. A lot of the things we disagree on are in the details... And BTW, I have also said Benioff and Weiss aren't in this for the details, they are obviously and purposefully skipping details because they probably KNOW they suck at writing. The more detailed you want something, the more writing they have to do. I am the one who pointed out, in this thread, that HBO wanted more season (ka-ching ka-ching)... Dave and DB are the ones who said no. This is speculation, but I think there's a reason to that and it's because they don't want to write it! 

The other disagreements in this thread have come down to things like Bjorn and I seeing characters wayyyy different than each other. Or people complaining about the 3 really accurate scorpion shots that took down Rhaegal. As somebody who watches a ton of action movies and shows and stuff... I'm pretty used to the follies of accuracy. I just don't put much stock in that latter kind of stuff. The biggest pet peeves I am gonna have is how they wrap up and finish these individual character arcs. And with a ton of deaths and departures behind us, I don't have many of those complaints. [Edit] And let me say, that could change on Sunday. Maybe they wrap up the Starks and Dany , etc really badly. If I think so, I will let you know. [/Edit]

I went through a lot of this with the TWD... I hated that show for so long, but kept watching anyway. I think I got some sick satisfaction out of hating it so much, lol. Eventually, I just said enough is a enough and quit watching it. Feels wayyyy better. lol

And in the end, I'd much rather finish this series not being annoyed and just pissed off at everything lol. I admit the flaws it has, and I've admitted them continually. I am just not going to give into rage or get joy out of hating this so much. 

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Imagine if this gets a Sopranos type finish, with Jon holding a knife to Dany's neck or something. I doubt it happens but people will lose their god damn minds.

"Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet" is my main gripe with Rhaegal's death. The shots being super accurate is nit-picking. I would argue correctly so, but yeah I agree its nit-picky. But Dany just entirely forgetting about Euron is just piss poor writing.

The reason Dave and DB dont want to do more GoT is because they are the ones doing the new Star Wars trilogy so they can't do both.Which I can see that. Just wish we had gotten new directors then if those two just wanted to end it. 

Imma put spoiler tags on this, feel free to come back to it after the finale:

~SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER THE FOLLOWING IS ALMOST CERTAINLY A SPOILER FOR EPISODE SIX, GIVEN THAT THE DUDE WHO LEAKED THIS WAS CORRECT ABOUT 99% OF THE STUFF IN 4 AND 5. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER~

I'm very curious if you're going to defend who becomes the ruler because that is one of the worst "subversion of expectation" we've had in this entire debacle.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

I also enjoy 2 scoops of raisin Bran.

No matter how we feel about season 8, I think we can all agree this is awesome:

[/me

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers/u/24572094

@Vin That's you best hope for Star Wars right there. Any Star Wars fans out there should be on this petition. Realistically they will never remake this season but this petition could save Star Wars. For anyone that actually thinks that this season hasn't been utter garbage, that petition got a million signatures FAST. lol

Ok but what if they get thrown off Star Wars and somebody good gets it and we get a better movie? Honestly I think everyone knows that season 8 will never be re-made but as a middle finger to HBO, Benioff and Weiss, I approve.

Edited by seanbrock

Watch Dan and Dave’s Star Wars movies be awesome. 

@DalaiLama4Ever As far as TWD goes I was out when they killed the tiger. Haven't watched a single episode since. I was ignoring a lot of stupid shit in anticipation for another tiger mauling and then bam. Fuck that noise. 

• Haha 1

I'd never started GOT cuz I had too much other shit to watch or catch up on. Once the final season got announced I figured we'd try to power through to avoid series finale spoilers.

Last night we finished Season 4. Tyrion smoking his dad and killing that dumb cunt Shae was dope as hell. The fight between Brienne and The Hound was super well done. If he's truly dead, it's too bad because he was one of my favorite characters. His leg was fucked, but idk about an off-screen death for him.

I think we finished the first 4 seasons in about 10 days. So hopefully we'll get caught up before anything gets ruined for us.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SteVo said:

Lmao with these fucking petitions. If you're not happy with who's writing/producing a movie, don't watch the damn movie. Fucking millennials, man.

Not the point of the petition. It's just to shame D+D and bring awareness to the fact of how they have mangled this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think they have gotten enough shame from the widespread, highly vocalized displeasure and negative critiques of this season. 

On 5/17/2019 at 5:11 PM, SteVo said:

No matter how we feel about season 8, I think we can all agree this is awesome:

[/me

Spoilering this for Zack, I guess.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Not the point of the petition. It's just to shame D+D and bring awareness to the fact of how they have mangled this.

You realize how ridiculous this sounds right?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barracuda said:

Are you serious Cuda? Obviously the petition to rewrite Season 8 isn’t about rewriting Season 8.

That petition is proof positive of the outrage culture taking hold of this thing. The “movement” has a mind of its own. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barracuda said:

Only to someone who doesn't understand that this thing happens all the time. It's just a way for fans to vent. The vast majority of people signing that petition understand HBO is not actually going to re-make it. It gets caught up the news media and is very bad press for them, which is the real point.

Even the starter of the petition, on its front page, says so:

I haven't heard from anyone HBO related. I don't think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger's Joker once said "It's not about the money, it's about sending a message." And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core.

In closing, I didn't make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent... Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing. I will post another update if something tangible happens.

I understand its easier to dismiss it as just "fucking millennials" as SteVo puts it, but that is in fact not what its about.

Edited by Thanatos

lol so what is your guys issue with the petition? Why are you so outraged by outrage culture...over Game of Thrones? Season 8 is an embarrassment and D&D have to sit with that humiliation now. Fuck 'em. They still got paid. Are we supposed to feel sorry for them? How is this any different than all the shit we talk on athletes, teams, GM's. You guys are being corny as fuck lol.

Any public figure is LEGALLY open to getting shit talked. People have criticized TV show writing for decades before the internet too. Glad you guys are just so much more evolved and mature. :yao:

Edited by seanbrock

1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

Only to someone who doesn't understand that this thing happens all the time. It's just a way for fans to vent. The vast majority of people signing that petition understand HBO is not actually going to re-make it. It gets caught up the news media and is very bad press for them, which is the real point.

Even the starter of the petition, on its front page, says so:

I understand its easier to dismiss it as just "fucking millennials" as SteVo puts it, but that is in fact not what its about.

What sort of thing happens all the time? Things that you don’t necessarily agree with? Bad TV show endings?  That’s called life guys. Venting is just the same as whining. Call it whatever you want. 

Some people just need to learn that their opinions and emotions, whether it be about Game of Thrones or abortion, just aren’t things anyone needs to hear about. Just shut up. 

28 minutes ago, Barracuda said:

What sort of thing happens all the time? Things that you don’t necessarily agree with? Bad TV show endings?  That’s called life guys. Venting is just the same as whining. Call it whatever you want. 

Some people just need to learn that their opinions and emotions, whether it be about Game of Thrones or abortion, just aren’t things anyone needs to hear about. Just shut up. 

So then stfu and keep it pushing lol. Nobody is forcing you to inject your opinion on the matter.

You guys do understand that we're posting all this argument on a message board. Step back for a second and think about that lol.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1