seanbrock

What are we motivated by?

Ok so let's get a good conservative vs liberal ideology debate going. A lot of people say that without the possibility of being fantastically wealthy that society would crumble. Everyone would lose all motivation and become lazy because the government will just take care of them. They use this to defend the free market as if it exists in nature but it doesn't. I'm about to fuck your minds of with some logic though so check it out lol.

I think people are MUCH more motivated by respect, admiration and love. When you live in a society that worships material shit and money people think that that is the path to some sort of validation. My argument is that money isn't the only way to achieve that. Men are HIGHLY motivated by PUSSY. More than they ever will be by money. Almost no matter what your job is, if you're the best at it. If you're a leader. If people count on you to make shit happen, you get pussy. That's biological, not some made up free market bullshit. That's literally wired into our DNA. It's not JUST pussy though. People who are good at what they do and work hard earn the respect of their peers. People listen to what they have to say as a result of that. There are always going to be natural hierarchies amongst human beings. It's just how we organize ourselves. We don't need money for that at all. 

What's one man? The possibility exists only through the cooperative efforts of the collective. In the wild, one man will be eaten by an animal with claws and teeth, an animal that is bigger and faster. With one another we can figure out how to kill a fucking mammoth with a spear. No matter how special someone might think they are and how successful they might be, NOBODY does shit on their own. We all stand on the shoulders of thousands of generations of people and just everyone's daily life is made possible by the people that make sure your shit doesn't get mixed in with your water and you get sick and die. Where would Jeff Bezos be if he had to worry about that? The efforts of these people afford us the luxary to think about things like comfort instead of just survival. It allows us to even be able to have this question and to have this debate.

• Upvote 1

I am laughing hysterically because I am imagining all these people up there on the stage having this big debate, and then the moderator introduces seanbrock of the "free weed" party, who's this fringe candidate, and sean proceeds to give a 5 minute speech about how men are motivated by pussy while everyone else looks in on horror.

Sean just ended human civilization in three paragraphs.

I'm more motivated by pursuing more avenues of freedom than any of that popularity crap :shrug:

• Upvote 1

Leave it to Sean to boil it down to the power of the vag.  True story, though. 

In all seriousness, really good question.  Aside from the usual social needs we have as humans, such as love, family, etc...in some ways for me it's money.  Not the pursuit of wealth...more the pursuit of financial freedom.  I'm 32, and I've been in debt since I was 20.  Basically my whole adult life.  I don't need much money to be happy.  Job satisfaction does way more for me in the long run.  I think a lot of people fail to realize just how far $50-60K a year can take you when you aren't paying off loans and credit cards, and that's all I really want.  I want every penny I earn to be mine to do with as I see fit.   

More than money, though, I've found I crave mentorship and teaching opportunities at this stage of my adult life.  Not curriculum...I despise structured education.  Just everyday situations where I have the chance to teach a younger peer something about the job or how to be a better Airman or NCO, or just a more responsible adult in general.  It's extremely rewarding when you see that moment where it clicks for them, and now they're that much wiser and independent.  I want to teach them how to fish so they won't need me when I retire, and if they end up surpassing and replacing me, I'll feel like I did something right.  

And thirdly, pussy. 

• Upvote 1

That's awesome @Phins4life, passing on your knowledge is the best way to gain deeper understanding imo. 

I know a lot of you guys played organized sports in high school. Remember going through football training camp and doing all torturous training (fuck Indian runs lol) with some guys that were your boys and other guys you didn't like? After all that shit you go through in the summer you finally come together and get to hit the guys in the other Jersey. Despite whatever beef you have with any of your teammates or coaches you work together to beat the other team. The feeling of being a part of a team. Going to battle and winning...man that shit is dope. I mean competitive team sports at their purest is an awesome thing to be a part of. 

I think that applies to a lot of shit. Like in construction when you turn vision into reality and you compare your finished product to where you started. That's cool as shit, especially when you and the people you work with do it together or you work with your friend. 

Some very profound shit and the like 1:15-1:35 is exactly what I'm getting at with this thread.

"Power is a shadow on the wall" I see you George RR Martin haha

Edited by seanbrock

Almost no matter what your job is, if you're the best at it. If you're a leader. If people count on you to make shit happen, you get pussy. That's biological, not some made up free market bullshit.

just a tidbit from the whole for now.

its not biological. it is made up free market bullshit/social conditioning. it is the product of materialism. Early on, everyone was the same and did the same as a community. we were taught to bow to authority at some point so power became a thing. and just like materialism.. you have to be and do and act and be with, the biggest and the best or you are lesser then. 

we have lost the understanding to be able to  just "be". to "be". to just be able to turn off the stupid tv shows and deadlines and answering to multiple authorities.. and just think, just ponder, contemplate your origin, meaning, existence.

it all about what you do and what you have. thats the first impression. the first pointless questions in conversation... so, what do you do? what car do you drive? how much schooling have you had? that does not define you.. it shouldnt anyway.

no one can actually say what happened in so called caveman days or even if there were those type of cavemen. you can cry all you want that science says this or that. the truth is no one knows shit about the origin of mankind. most fossil findings are propaganda bullshit or their origin and time frame are lied about.

but thats a tad off track for now lol

(and of course in this format, i'm giving quicky thoughts. I cant spell out every detail of what i'm thinking ,like how fast a conversation can be)

What's one man? The possibility exists only through the cooperative efforts of the collective. In the wild, one man will be eaten by an animal with claws and teeth, an animal that is bigger and faster. With one another we can figure out how to kill a fucking mammoth with a spear. No matter how special someone might think they are and how successful they might be, NOBODY does shit on their own. We all stand on the shoulders of thousands of generations of people and just everyone's daily life is made possible by the people that make sure your shit doesn't get mixed in with your water and you get sick and die. Where would Jeff Bezos be if he had to worry about that? The efforts of these people afford us the luxary to think about things like comfort instead of just survival. It allows us to even be able to have this question and to have this debate.

that was govts entire purpose. to cause separation, through political parties, fear of crime outside the house. my sports team is better than yours.

we stay insulated. hypnotized by the tv light in the house. we get irritated at a knock on the door instead of happy to see someone.

we all get the same crap at the grocery store.. instead of, you grow carrots and i'll grow apples and share and help. because we let govt tell us

they own the american soil beneath you and you cant do it without their permission lol.

tumblr_lzhyr2MInG1qbg5ufo1_500.gif

these movies are beautiful accidents. Its govt telling you, we are brainwashing you and youre too stupid to realize it.

I think motivation is tied very strongly to mental health. I go through differing motivations. 85% of the year, my motivation is strictly to "be grateful because I'm a blessed, lucky man." The other 15%, I'm just trying to get my head back above water because one of my triggers has surfaced and I'm miserable. For the record, I've recently turned a corner on that 15%--I was instructed by my priest to be more vulnerable in prayer. Instantaneous relief, and onset became less frequent by the week. Simply incredible.

Now that's me, personally. As far as we as a collective society is concerned, we're not motivated by any one specific thing. We're motivated by selfishness, and that's a different thing from individual to individual. It's also the cause of many of our societal problems.

Might wanna see an actual licensed psychiatrist instead of a priest. Would help you a lot more with those situations. This is not a shot at you all, I am currently seeing one for other reasons. It's a great relief to be able to just vent sometimes, lol. And it's wrong for a priest- or anyone else- to act like he can help someone's mental state unless he has been trained in that field. Sorry, the idea that religion can actually fix something that's mentally wrong is a pet peeve of mine. Most of the time, its just a way to cover it up and it comes back later because the underlying issue was not dealt with.

You wouldn't go to a priest instead of a doctor if your leg is broken, for example.

Edited by Thanatos

5 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

Might wanna see an actual licensed psychiatrist instead of a priest. Would help you a lot more with those situations. This is not a shot at you all, I am currently seeing one for other reasons. It's a great relief to be able to just vent sometimes, lol. And it's wrong for a priest- or anyone else- to act like he can help someone's mental state unless he has been trained in that field. Sorry, the idea that religion can actually fix something that's mentally wrong is a pet peeve of mine. Most of the time, its just a way to cover it up and it comes back later because the underlying issue was not dealt with.

You wouldn't go to a priest instead of a doctor if your leg is broken, for example.

But you would if your stomach has decided to ferment food rather than digest it.

M'kay, sorry. How's she doing?

Lmao that took me a minute. Thanks for asking. She's fine in the sense that they know what she can and can't eat now to trigger it. They still don't know what the underlying cause is or how to fix it, so she's stuck on mostly bland foods atm. But she is gaining the weight back so I'm less worried about her just keeling over from malnutrition.

34 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

Starting to see a counselor regularly, which the priest knows about. Also, I asked for a prayer suggestion for horrific anxiety/overthinking onset and that's what he suggested.

Don't be so quick to say religion can't provide that kind of help. It's worked to pray in desperation for me. I did it regularly 6-8 times a day for 2 to 3 weeks and it provided several hours of relief each time and those periods grew longer. In the last week I've mostly prayed that vulnerable prayer waking up and before bed.

I'm going into counseling due to emotional fragility caused by extreme verbal/emotional abuse growing up. I had some counseling while at UND, so I'm going back to the well.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Im not saying it can't help, (has nothing to do with religion, IMO, rather the state of mind it puts you in, but I digress),  I'm saying that if there is an underlying issue causing your problems, religion does not address it because they aren't professionals- they don't know how. Saying a prayer is not going to fix a serious mental problem, especially something that has legit triggers. 

Good to hear though. Just don't want you to substitute it FOR counseling, which is my big beef. Too many pastors think they are somehow qualified when they are not. They are at best a listening ear.

If you feel lucky and grateful 85% of the time then you're in a good place. Human beings have ups and downs. There's nothing you can do to stop it. You could have a billion dollars and a family that you love and that loves you and you will go through ups and downs. When I was in jail I had good days and I had bad days. Perspective is key. Prayer is a form of reflection and can absolutely be therapuedic. I think organized religion is bullshit, personally but I do believe that it can help people to be vulnerable to feel like they're heard. I don't really trust psychiatrists either. To me they're mostly glorified drug dealers. I think there are people who need meds but most people just need to learn coping mechanisms or maybe most importantly just need to be honest with themselves which is maybe the hardest thing to do in life. I do think prayer helps a lot of people with the latter.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:56 PM, seanbrock said:

I don't really trust psychiatrists either. To me they're mostly glorified drug dealers. I think there are people who need meds but most people just need to learn coping mechanisms or maybe most importantly just need to be honest with themselves which is maybe the hardest thing to do in life.

This is just completely and utterly false, and it's symptomatic of a large subset of Americans who believe people who have actual mental health issues should just learn to cope.

You are doing the equivalent of telling a person with a broken leg to walk it off. Do a lot of idiots self-diagnose based on internet research? Sure. But please dont help to spread the disinformation that "most people" with mental problems just need to learn to cope or be honest with themselves. People who have actual mental issues do need medicine.

46 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

This is just completely and utterly false, and it's symptomatic of a large subset of Americans who believe people who have actual mental health issues should just learn to cope.

You are doing the equivalent of telling a person with a broken leg to walk it off. Do a lot of idiots self-diagnose based on internet research? Sure. But please dont help to spread the disinformation that "most people" with mental problems just need to learn to cope or be honest with themselves. People who have actual mental issues do need medicine.

I should have said in the post but I think people should see therapists to learn how to cope. I Believe in cognitive behavioral therapy but I do think psychiatrists are drug dealers. I have had experience with both. 

• Upvote 1

In the end, it is up to that person.  The telling a person with a broken leg to walk it off analogy has never worked for me. I think it's a tad misleading.

If you break your leg, literally a doctor can do every single thing to fix it for you. You just have to show up. Even if you don't, they can do a surgery put a plate in and your broken leg is healed by someone else.

Mental health isn't that way. You can go to therapy is sure, but in the end it's on you to learn how to cope with whatever it is you're dealing with. Sure com they can guide you and give you tools common those are great things come but nobody can fix your mental state other than you.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I feel most people's issues are trauma related and emotional, not chemical. There are some people who need a psychiatrist and who need meds but those people are few and far between. 

Definitely. I'm not trying to minimize anything, there are some people have seen some truly horrific things.  Then there are some people who are just constant complainers, and are always going to look at the worst of the situation. They make themselves depressed because of a dogshit outlook. They are not really mentally ill, they have no chemical imbalances, They for whatever reason can not take on a positive perspective.

I would say it's like obesity if I were going to compare it to something in the physical realm. When you're obese you can know how to lose weight comments not all the hard. Calories in versus calories out. For some reason though people can't get off the couch, they can't get out of their own way, they can't get the courage to put themselves in public to work out, I don't know what it is, they just can't do it. Nobody can fix it for them except for themselves, they can have all the knowledge in the world and it won't help if they don't have the desire to change it.

7 hours ago, Omerta said:

In the end, it is up to that person.  The telling a person with a broken leg to walk it off analogy has never worked for me. I think it's a tad misleading.

If you break your leg, literally a doctor can do every single thing to fix it for you. You just have to show up. Even if you don't, they can do a surgery put a plate in and your broken leg is healed by someone else.

Mental health isn't that way. You can go to therapy is sure, but in the end it's on you to learn how to cope with whatever it is you're dealing with. Sure com they can guide you and give you tools common those are great things come but nobody can fix your mental state other than you.

First off, if you have a plate put in your leg, you're almost certainly going to have to do some physical therapy, so there is some personal responsibility there. Given that the mental health issues I am talking about have underlying physical problems, such as a chemical imbalance in the brain, the analogy works perfectly.

Secondly, the view that mentally ill people are the only ones that can fix their own mental state is part of the culture surrounding mental problems in this country that cause so many people- men in particular- not to seek help. Telling a depressed person they need to fix their own mental state is so irresponsible of a statement to make. If you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, you can try to think happy thoughts all you want, getting actual medicine for an actual real condition you have is going to help more far more than "learning how to cope with whatever it is you're dealing with." I am of course not talking about, as I said, people who self-diagnose. I just cannot stand when people essentially dismiss mental issues as basically being something that person has to deal with themselves when this is demonstrably untrue- in people who have real medical issues- and contributes to a serious problem in this country. If you think you just have to deal with it yourself why would you let a professional handle it? 

I agree mostly with your second post about obese people, but I will just point there are people who have reasons why its much much harder to lose weight than others. 

Edited by Thanatos

I think even a therapist would say that they can't fix people's mental issues but they can support them and guide them and help them with strategies to cope. I don't think he was saying that you shouldn't seek help if you're depressed or whatever. The drugs psychiatrists prescribe just mask issues the same way alcohol or recreational drugs do (it's no coincidence than many of those psych drugs are used recreationally/abused) again, I have experience with addiction, I have experience with therapists and psychiatrists as well as truly imbalanced people (my uncle is schizophrenic). You can't make depression or anger go away with a pill, nor should you attempt to. 

@Thanatos 

Edited by seanbrock

Mental illness isn't your fault, but it is your responsibility.

And I think it takes a combination of what Bware is saying and what Thanatos is saying.

People that require help and assistance shouldn't have the added pressure of everyone else just assuming they put themselves in a situation to be sick. As Thanatos said, telling someone who is depressed to just wake up and be happy isn't plausible or actionable in anyway.  

But I think seeing a therapist and not just a psychiatrist who is willing to pump drugs into you is a big help. Just having someone there to actually listen is a great first step. But learning different coping mechanisms to get beyond (even a little) bouts of depression or anxiety or whatever it may be is also important. I am not anti-medication but what happens if you just go to a psychiatrist, get a bunch of pills without learning any coping skills / habits and then.... you run out of meds... your brain adapts to the current meds and the dosage is no longer effective... you take the meds, but you still have a bad day... etc etc for any number of scenarios. Even on medication, people can and do still suffer. 

And by no means are those coping solutions a "cure" -- that's naive. But it does prepare the individual to better deal with their disease beyond the medication. It's just an extra precaution that, IMO, should be taken to better (even slightly) your life.

• Upvote 1