Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

NBA Conference Finals

The 4 best teams remain (yes, I think Portland is better than Houston. So was Denver). Who you got?

My picks:

Toronto 4-2. Kawhi against Giannis? C'mon, that's easy. Giannis is still limited offensively and Kawhi is every bit as strong and more proven. Between 2 similar players, always choose the bulldog. As long as the other Raptors don't allow the Bucks supporting cast to go wild, Toronto should win this series.

Wild cards who could swing the series: Middleton, Lopez, Siakam, Lowry, Gasol. If any of these players is outstanding, the stress on the superstars fades.

Golden State 4-2. Lillard and McCollum are nasty, but I just don't think the Blazers supporting cast is good enough to do much more than snag two games if the Splash Brothers go cold. My gut pick is 4-1, but I'll give the Blazers a second win.

Wild Cards who could swing the series: Green, Kanter. If either plays above his head, it'll make a huge difference.

Golden State and Milwaukee should handle their series pretty easily. I'll give Portland a token victory, but they just match up poorly against the Warriors. Meanwhile Toronto always blows it to the biggest superstar in the East, and now that biggest superstar is Giannis. Milwaukee in 5, maybe in 6 if Toronto decides they don't just want to roll over and die. Pretty much everyone on the team outside of Kawhi has taken the playoffs off so... you know.

Milwaukee is a way better team than Toronto. Not saying Toronto can’t win ... but overall , top to bottom, they’re better. They have the shooting, the big man, the superstar. If Toronto is going to win it’s because they just want it more. Determination and will. It could happen, but I’m not betting on it. 

Bucks in 5 and Blazers in 6 is my call.

The Bucks are the best team and just got better with Brogdon coming back. Kawhi will get his but it will take someone else stepping up big time to give Toronto a chance and I don't see that happening. This will be a Gentleman's sweep.

Blazers is an upset pick but I actually think they stand a chance depending on Durant's health. The splash bros have been up and down thus far so it's easy seeing Dame and CJ hanging with them, thus it comes down to the rest of the team and I think the Blazers could pull it off if Hood and Kanter can contribute like they did vs the Nugs. This is assuming Durant is unable to go or is hindered if he returns. If Durant comes back game 2 or 3 and is fine, then it will be the Warriors taking it in 7.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

@seanbrock Klay is definitely the best player on the Warriors and probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league. LeBron and Kawhi are the only two contenders. Klay is a hair worse than Steph on offense which is why nobody pays him any mind. But when you take into account that Klay is probably the best wing defender in the league, Klay's value shits on everyone sans maybe Kawhi and then LeBron.

I've been on this train for years and months ago I saw some clip of Barkley saying the same shit back in 2017 or so. I'll try and find it.

Edit: Here we go. In 2016 Barkley put Klay and Kawhi up above Durant.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/10/25/charles-barkley-klay-thompson-durant-lebron-curry-kawhi/92745052/

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I'm 100% with you on Kawhi but Klay isn't a hair worse than Curry on offense. He can't handle the ball. He's a great shooter. He moves well without the rock but he's below average at everything else besides passing in which case he's good. Curry on the other hand has great handles, finishes around the rim despite being a shrimp and is a better shooter. Klay is like, the greatest role player skill set ever. He's not better than Curry.

Comparing Kawhi to Klay is silly. Kawhi gets whatever shot he wants on offense and hits efficiently from everywhere AND he's a better defender.

11 hours ago, Zack_of_Steel said:

Klay is definitely the best player on the Warriors and probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league.

Man, I thought I was a Klay fan...

Zack also hates Steph for some reason.

These finals are gonna go to 7.  May as well book it.

Kawhi has been breakin his back, carrying the Raptors don’t know why he can’t do it against the Warriors. And they’ve got home court. 

If NBA teams were planeteers, the Raptors would have the power of heart.

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:42 AM, seanbrock said:

I'm 100% with you on Kawhi but Klay isn't a hair worse than Curry on offense. He can't handle the ball. He's a great shooter. He moves well without the rock but he's below average at everything else besides passing in which case he's good. Curry on the other hand has great handles, finishes around the rim despite being a shrimp and is a better shooter. Klay is like, the greatest role player skill set ever. He's not better than Curry.

Comparing Kawhi to Klay is silly. Kawhi gets whatever shot he wants on offense and hits efficiently from everywhere AND he's a better defender.

You're right, they all have different styles of play, but overall value to their team, Klay beats Steph. Steph is a liability on defense and GSW wouldn't have much of their switching D success without Klay on the wing making it work. And every team has a ball-dominant player or five. Klay being the best off-ball player in the league as well as the best wing defender puts his value through the roof.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:01 PM, blotsfan said:

Man, I thought I was a Klay fan...

There's not a lot I don't agree with Charles Barkley on.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, Vin said:

Zack also hates Steph for some reason.

These finals are gonna go to 7.  May as well book it.

I hate him because he's a little prick. I liked him back when he was quiet and had bad legs and Mark Jackson was their coach.

22 hours ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Kawhi has been breakin his back, carrying the Raptors don’t know why he can’t do it against the Warriors. And they’ve got home court. 

If NBA teams were planeteers, the Raptors would have the power of heart.

Friendly bet? I'll take GSW straight up.

Charles Barkley never met a sandwich he didn't like.

:shaq:

So Kevon Looney broke his collar bone, and Klay has a strained hamstring. And Durant is ded, obvs.

What's it say about the Raptors if they can't beat a fairly depleted Golden State team?  Sorta feels like we're getting to the point where Golden State can't win, or at the very least shouldn't win.  Unless it turns out that Durant isn't ded and life as we know it is a storybook.

Yeah idk man, unless Steph puts on the cape and starts sinking deep threes I don't see how they win this series. I don't know what their answer is going to be for Kawhi without Klay Thompson. Warriors play great fundamental team defense but Klay is an elite defender that you simply cannot replace. 

I can tell you how Golden State wins. Toronto fails to make their open shots as per usual and they get out rebounded. Seriously, you thought the Craptors would dethrone the champs? Get real.