Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Jets jetsing

Jets fired GM Mike Maccagnan.

VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger was also canned on Wednesday. "I came to the decision to make a change after much thought and a careful assessment of what would be in the best long-term interests of the New York Jets," CEO Christopher Johnson said in a statement. There had long been word of a rift between Maccagnan and new coach Adam Gase, which Gase tried to downplay last week, but this pretty much clears it up that something wasn't working between the two. Maccagnan spent four years on the job, with the Jets going 10-6 his first season only to string together a 14-34 record 2016-2018. Maccagnan's drafts left a lot to be desired, especially his 2016 one that netted Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, and Jordan Jenkins in the first three rounds. Sam Darnold fell into the Jets' laps last year. Not finding any sort of edge rushing presence year in and year out was a major blunder. Gase is the interim GM while the Jets search for a replacement.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports coach Adam Gase "absolutely did not want to sign" Le'Veon Bell this offseason.

This should go over well inside Jets headquarters. Anyway, this is believed to be one of the big -- if not the biggest -- disagreements between Gase and now-fired GM Mike Maccagnan. Maccagnan was the one making the calls on the Bell signing and the outrageous contract handed out to off-ball ILB C.J. Mosley. Mehta adds that Gase "didn't want to spend a lot of money on any running back." As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport puts it, Gase likes Bell as a player but isn't a fan of the money part of it.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah is "under serious consideration for a prominent front-office position" with the Jets.

It might not be for the actual general manager job, but Jeremiah seems to be in contention for some sort of right-hand man position. Rumored to be the front-runner for the Jets' GM job is Eagles VP of Player Personnel Joe Douglas, who Schefter reports is "close friends" with Jeremiah. Jeremiah cut his teeth in the scouting departments with the Eagles and Ravens, who Douglas has also spent time with. TV draft gigs seems to be stepping stones to NFL front-office jobs now after the Raiders hired Mike Mayock as GM earlier this offseason.

Eagles VP of Player Personnel Joe Douglas is believed to be the front-runner for the Jets' general-manager vacancy.

Douglas has been with the Eagles since 2016. He spent 2015 with the Bears alongside Adam Gase, who was Chicago's offensive coordinator that season and is now the Jets' head coach. The two reportedly have a strong relationship, something Gase and now-fired GM Mike Maccagnan didn't have in New York. Whoever gets the GM job knows Gase has plenty of power with the Jets.

Gase is at least smart about not wanting to pay Le'Veon, but who fires their GM right after the draft instead of at the end of the season?  (I guess the same team that pays a bazillion dollars for a FA RB.)

Bizarre timing. I mean, for him to be fired now.... it has to be at least a thought after the season. So to let this guy run the scout process and run the draft only to fire him almost immediately afterwards is very worrying. Lol. 

Oh yeah... he also hired their new coach and spent all their money. 

Jets are a shitshow.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

Interim GM Adam Gase just traded Darron Lee for a 6th round pick... I am not saying he's some HoFer... but hes... better than a 6th rounder... right? Like, a decent amount better? 

He was a first rounder but he's done nothing in his career. I get the gamble by the jets but I don't think he'd be worth much more than that. 

I get it, Gase flamed out in Miami, and a first year coach was chosen over the GM but does anyone disagree with Gase's reported points against the GM?

I agree with him 200%.

Dunno how I missed this, but apparently I did.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20190607203557926862308&ref=hea&tm=&src=

NEW YORK (AP) Joe Douglas was the favorite all along - and the Jets got their guy.

The Philadelphia Eagles executive was hired Friday night to serve as New York's general manager, tasked with leading the Jets back to respectability.

Douglas, the Eagles' vice president of player personnel, was one of four candidates interviewed twice by New York for the vacancy. He met with team officials last Saturday and Sunday, and again earlier this week.

The team announced Friday night on Twitte r that it had agreed to terms with Douglas. The Jets did not announce the terms of the deal, but ESPN reported it is a six-year contract.

Douglas was widely considered the top candidate because he has previous work experience with Jets coach Adam Gase, who served as the team's acting GM and was heavily involved in the search process. Douglas was Chicago's director of college scouting in 2015, when Gase was the Bears' offensive coordinator.

They're now reunited, leading an organization that hasn't been to the playoffs since the 2010 season.

Douglas replaces Mike Maccagnan, who was surprisingly fired last month after four seasons when Jets chairman and CEO Christopher Johnson said he took a "deeper dive" this offseason to analyze the inner-workings of the football side of the organization. Johnson decided to move on from Maccagnan - after firing coach Todd Bowles after the season - and stressed he was looking for "a strategic thinker" and added that "it's more than a talent evaluation guy." He also said he wanted "a great manager, a communicator - someone who can collaborate well with the building."

The Jets believe they have exactly that in Douglas, who was widely considered one of the up-and-coming potential GMs.

He beat out Chicago assistant director of player personnel Champ Kelly, New Orleans director of pro scouting Terry Fontenot and Seattle co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer for the job.

Douglas helped build the Eagles into a Super Bowl champion during the 2017 season, working closely with executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman after joining Philadelphia's front office in 2016.

Before his one season in Chicago, Douglas worked in Baltimore's personnel department from 2000 until 2015. He held various posts with Ravens during that time, including national scout, Southeast area scout, East Coast area scout, Northeast area scout and player personnel assistant.

The former offensive tackle started 45 straight games for the University of Richmond, and was an All-Atlantic 10 selection.

Douglas inherits a solid core of talent with the Jets, including second-year quarterback Sam Darnold, running back Le'Veon Bell, safety Jamal Adams, linebacker C.J. Mosley, defensive lineman Leonard Williams and first-round draft pick Quinnen Williams.

Douglas and Gase will report to Johnson separately, a structure the owner believes is most effective. Gase was responsible for player personnel during his three years as coach in Miami, but said that is not something he wants in New York.