Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Eagles give Carson Wentz a bunch of money

Eagles signed Carson Wentz to a four-year contract extension through 2024.

Eagles EVP Howie Roseman said Wentz will be "a great player for the Philadelphia Eagles for a long time" and today guaranteed that. At 27 years old, this new deal extends the Eagles Super Bowl window for years to come. Through three seasons, Wentz has shown an MVP ceiling and he should continue to play like an MVP candidate for as long as he's healthy. All reports from this offseason indicate Wentz looks like he's ready to return to MVP form.

Source: Philadelphia Eagles on Twitter

Personally, I think it was too early to sign him to an extension. Would like to see how he does this season before throwing so much money at him. But I can see why Philly wanted to get it done now, if they waited there is the potential they would have to shell out even more money.

• Upvote 2

More than 100M guaranteed to a player whose best attribute is getting hurt late in the season ... I mean, sometimes those injuries are just luck/unlucky, but idk. Definitely seems a little riskier than the other QBs hauling in this kind of money.

• Upvote 2

Obviously the health concerns are high. But I think only going up to 4th highest paid in the period before the new CBA might be a decent trade off given Wentz has proven to be a good QB when he does play. 

23 hours ago, Packers Dynasty 2010 said:

Personally, I think it was too early to sign him to an extension. Would like to see how he does this season before throwing so much money at him. But I can see why Philly wanted to get it done now, if they waited there is the potential they would have to shell out even more money.

Yeah, I'd have waited another year for sure, but maybe you and BJORN are right and they'll save money in the long run.

I think the reward is worth the risk. Besides if Wentz turns out to be injury prone, they can just trade him to the Vikings for another first round pick hahaha

On 6/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, seanbrock said:

I think the reward is worth the risk. Besides if Wentz turns out to be injury prone, they can just trade him to the Vikings for another first round pick hahaha

Except for they will be on hook for that $107M no matter what now.

Turns out the contract isn't nearly as guaranteed as first reported. I like this way more for philly now but it seems like a dumb move for wentz.