Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Texans fire their GM

Texans fired GM Brian Gaine.

Gaine lasted just one season into his five-year deal. It's an unexpected firing, but Gaine hadn't done much to improve Houston's roster during his brief time. EVP Chris Olsen will take over football operations in the interim. Finding a replacement for Gaine could be tricky given the presence of Bill O’Brien, who has a history of GM power struggles. Gaine is unlikely to be in the mix for New York's GM job, but he should resurface in a lesser role.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

OMG YOU MEAN THEY JUST LET HIM FUCKING SCOUT AND DRAFT ALL THESE PEOPLE AND THEN THEY FIRE HIM RIGHT BEFORE TRAINING CAMP???? ROFLMMFAO HOLY SHIIIIIIT WHAT AN ABORTION SACK OF AN ORGANIZATION

There has to be something else going on here. The Texans went to the playoffs last year, so this is either a power struggle between him and Buttchin, or he did something really scummy that hasn't come to light yet.

• Upvote 1

This means one of two things...

1. Texans value a former member of their scouting department Mike Maccagnan more than Gaine. Also been linked to Joe Douglas, Will McClay, Nick Caserio, and Monti Ossenfort.

2. This is a full-blown power play for Bill O'Brien to assume control as head coach and GM ala Bill Belichick.

Either way, the timing is dogshit terrible and I'm leaning toward it being the latter more than the former. (Which I am not a fan of) I actually thought Gaine was a good GM and did well with the hand he was dealt. (I liked him over Rick Smith)

It's just the evidence shows that O'Brien clearly doesn't get along with his GMs, and quite frankly I don't think he's a good enough coach to make these demands...

Edited by FartWaffles

38 minutes ago, Zack_of_Steel said:

OMG YOU MEAN THEY JUST LET HIM FUCKING SCOUT AND DRAFT ALL THESE PEOPLE AND THEN THEY FIRE HIM RIGHT BEFORE TRAINING CAMP???? ROFLMMFAO HOLY SHIIIIIIT WHAT AN ABORTION SACK OF AN ORGANIZATION

Texans texansing

• Haha 1

Yeah, the timing is just sooooo weird. What has he done so horribly that you are firing him right now? Even if you think he had a horrible offseason / draft... why wait until right now to let him go? And, as an owner or whoever above him -- how do you decide he isn't good enough after like a year? Does Texans brass have a certain way they want the team run and he wasn't doing that (and maybe didn't even know it?) 

I wouldn't expect this to happen right now unless there was a specific reason or they had a specific replacement in mind. Whether it is giving O'Brien more power or hiring him a puppet GM or maybe they just want to meddle Jerry Jones style in their football operations. All three of those things are probably not great, but it at least explains the timing. If they are doing this just to hire a normal replacement... I really have to question their judgement. 

Man, I was being facetious. There's never going to be a "good" time to fire the GM in a 365 day job.

Caserio's contract (reportedly) ends after the 2020 draft. Idk if that is why... but it seems like they are really committing. lol

Easterby was at the Pats ring ceremony in June and tried to get cozy with Caserio about going to Houston. Weasel cocksucker lol. Texans fired Gaine the day after the ceremony. Pats slapped em with a tampering charge, of course. 

• Upvote 1