Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Michael Thomas is now the highest paid WR in the league

Saints signed WR Michael Thomas to a five-year, $100 million extension through 2024.

The deal contains $61 million guaranteed and makes Thomas the league's highest-paid wideout at $20 million per year in new money. He's actually the highest-paid non-quarterback offensive player in NFL history right now, a number that will surely soon be surpassed by whoever is next in line, whether it's Julio Jones or whomever. Through three seasons, Thomas has averaged 107 catches for 1,262 yards and eight touchdowns as the former No. 47 overall pick of the 2016 draft. He turned 26 in March.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

:phew:

You’ll never convince me any WR is worth 20m a year 

• Upvote 1

He might not be the fastest or flashiest. Might not make obscenely ridiculous grabs. But you really can't cover the guy. He stays healthy unlike Julio. He gives you the consistency you need. He's the perfect age. There are no weak spots in his game. His character seems to be fine. He's a nightmare to play against. He just seems like a really sure thing. Maybe a little too much, but he's also a really safe investment. With his size, durability, and athletic ability I can't see him falling off as far as production. If he was a player my team had, I would be absolutely devastated if a player like him ever got away to the point where I would be okay with over paying him. 

I predict the nay-sayers eat crow years from now. 

He had multiple poor games so not sure I would say he has no weak spots or a nightmare to play against. Just look at some of these lines,

4rec/47yds

4rec/38yds

5rec/40yds

5rec/29yds, although this was with Bridgewater at QB

0 TDs across those games as well

If it wasn't for huge games like week 1 against Tampa or against the Rams, his stats wouldn't be nearly as good. Is he a top 10 WR? Absolutely yes, but he isn't the best and I just don't see him being worth $20M. Only way I can see $20M being worth it is if he keep developing and does become a top WR or the payscale for WR increases dramatically with multiple guys getting $20M or more over the next couple years.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

It's a lot of money. He's real young and real good. I guess that's just how it works.