Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Your team's top candidate for end of season awards

I think this has become an annual thing for me, but I think it's a cool way to preview your team for the upcoming season.  The thread title says it all, but I'll explain anyway, list out your team's top candidate for each end of season award, it doesn't matter whether the player has any shot at winning the award, just list who you think has the best chance, hopefully with a bit of explanation as necessary.

Here are my picks for the Titans:

MVP: Marcus Mariota - QB is definitely the easy answer given that the MVP is almost always a QB, so maybe this is a cop-out answer, but if the Titans are going to do anything this season it'll be on the back of Mariota taking a huge step forward.

OPOTY: Corey Davis - There are actually a few options here, there's the obvious take the QB option, I also considered Derrick Henry here because he'll be the feature back and if he can build on the last month of 2018 he'll be a contender, but ultimately I'm going with Davis because he's been balling out in training camp and I think he's primed for a third season breakout after quietly putting together a really good season last year.

DPOTY: Kevin Byard - for once this isn't just plug in Jurrell Casey and move on, though I did think about listing him, I also considered a few of our linebackers, Rashaan Evans came on strong late last season and could build on that and Jayon Brown has emerged as one of the better LBs in coverage in the league, but I don't think they'll put up the numbers to be in contention.  Byard leads the league in interceptions over the last two seasons and is poised to be the leader of a defense that I think is going to surprise a lot of people.

CBPOTY: Delanie Walker - This is the one I could actually see happening, he's been a top 5 TE when healthy and looks to be healthy in training camp, if he regains form after missing last season he has to at least be in the conversation.

OROTY: AJ Brown - I could see this happen if he gets a lot of open looks with defenses focused on Davis, Walker, and Adam Humphries, although he is dealing with an injury in camp, which makes this less likely, but there really isn't another candidate for this award.  Nate Davis is a dark horse if he wins the RG spot, but it's hard to imagine an olineman winning this award.

DROTY: Amani Hooker - Similar to Brown, this one comes from a lack of other options with Jeffery Simmons likely to miss a significant portion of the season, he's at best the third safety on the team and the top two signed big contracts this offseason, but we do run a lot of three safety sets and Hooker could turn into our primary slot defender, which he excelled at in college.  I don't expect any other rookies to get substantial playing time on the defensive side.

MVP: Aaron Rodgers - This is a give-away. If the team is successful, it will be because of Aaron. If he clicks with LaFleur, the offense has plenty of potential. Part of me also believes Aaron is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder in an attempt to prove all the naysayers wrong.

OPOTY: Davante Adams - Was tempted to say Bakhtiari as he has established himself as one of the best tackles in the game but an o-lineman will never win an award. Adams is a top 10 WR and had a huge season last year. If LaFleur starts moving him around pre-snap and actually schemes guys open, he will just put up even bigger numbers.

DPOTY: Jaire Alexander - This was a tough one. Jaire is GB's #1 corner and flashed the potential of being a great CB last season. He has room to grow and improve obviously but he has the look of being a lockdown corner, something the Packers have been missing for a while. Other candidates I considered are Kenny Clark and Za'Darius Smith. Kenny Clark is GB's best defensive player but a NT isn't going get much love unless they have a monstrous season.

CBPOTY: Geronimo Allison - Really GB's only option for this award. GMo was on pace for a 1,000 yard season before tearing his groin.

OROTY: Nobody - I can't see any GB rookie for this. The offensive rookies that the Pack drafted will most likely be riding the bench this year and serve as depth guys.

DROTY: Darnell Savage - Will be starter week 1 and has playmaking ability. If the front 7 can create enough pressure and force some poor throws, Savage should be around to take advantage.

This one is pretty easy mostly:

MVP: Cam Newton, QB. This is self-explanatory. Cam has already won one MVP and QB is the easiest position to get this at.

OPOTY: Christian McCaffrey, RB. Was one of the top-5 RBs in the league last year, and only looks to improve on his 2nd season. 

DPOTY: Luke Kuechly, LB. Kuechly is the most obvious candidate for this award. Year in, and year out he is just excellent.

CBPotY: Daryl Williams, OT. He missed all of 2018 with an injury, but played well enough for 2nd-team All-Pro in 2017. If he returns to form he could possibly win this one, though its somewhat tough for an offensive lineman to win. Greg Olsen is the other major candidate on Carolina for this one.

ORotY: Greg Little, OT. Again, hard for a lineman to win this, but this would be the Panthers best bet.

DRotY: Brian Burns, Edge. If he racks up 10+ sacks and a bunch of tackles, he could easily take this one. Burns is possibly the Panthers best shot at any of these.

MVP:  Nick Foles. Aw yeah.  Bring on the 20+ INT season now.

OPOTY: Leonard Fournette (I don't actually believe this, but I suppose it's possible)

DPOTY: Calais Campbell. Getting older. It's probably either him or Yannick, but I don't think Yannick has it in him.  Ramsey doesn't get enough INTs to be considered.

CBPOTY: Marqise Lee

OROTY: Josh Oliver. TEs never win, but I gotta good feeling.

DROTY: Josh Allen

MVP. Brady. Obviously. Still has an absolute horse cock at 42 years of age. Motherfuckers keep praying on his downfall.

OPOTY: Sony Michel. LOVE this kid. Pats will be pounding the fuck out of the ball this season. Could see a huge year for Sony. 

DPOTY: tough call between Gilmore and Hightower.

CBPOTY: Braxton Berrios :smug:

OROTY: N’Keal Harry. Potential monster imo.

DROTY: Joejuan Williams.

:Eagles:

MVP: Carson Wentz. Duh.

OPOY: Carson Wentz. Duh. The Eagles have too many weapons on offense, so no one person (at a skill position) will have an astronomical year statistically.

DPOY: Fletcher Cox. A few other options, but Cox is the clear favorite.

CBPOY: Darren Sproles. Not really any contenders here.

OROY: Miles Sanders. Duh.

DROY: Shareef Miller. He was our only draft pick on defense. :yao:

MVP: Joe Flacco, because only QB's can win this award. Realistically, it'd be Von Miller going ham, or Philip Lindsay going for 2000 yards in a weak year for QB's.

OPOTY: Philip Lindsay, because he should be the focal point of our offense.

DPOTY: Von Miller, because he's a god damn beast.

Comeback Player: Joe Flacco, coming back from being benched I guess.

OROTY: Noah Fant, but every time i pick a TE to win it they die so... fuck, sorry Noah.

DROTY: Justin Hollins? it probably won't happen.

Not a chance in hell any Dolphin gets an award nod, except maybe CBPOTY (see below), but I'll take a crack at this...

MVP: Literally nobody, but for the sake of the thread...Fitzpatrick.  No, no, no...not that one.  The talented one...on the defensive side of the ball.  He's likely going to be on of Miami's few stat monsters, thanks to Flores' defensive mindset and his willingness to utilize him as a Swiss army knife.    

OPOTY: Whichever QB gets the most starts, because the runners won't see enough daylight to even sniff an award, and receivers have to work way too hard to be considered. 

DPOTY: Minkah Fitzpatrick...again.  I was kind of torn between him and Jerome Baker, but in the end I think Minkah is more polished and can play more spots on the field.  Contrary to popular opinion, I don't believe Xavien Howard is the most talented defender on the team, and he certainly isn't the most versatile.  

CBPOTY: Albert Wilson.  He was one of the most exciting pieces of the offense last year before his injury, between his reliable hands and his RAC ability.  If he can return to form, he could actually be in the conversation.  

OROTY: Preston WIlliams.  He flashed some incredible ability in pre-season week 1 against the Falcons, but then kind of fizzled out a bit.  If he stays out of trouble and continues to work on his craft, he has the size and hands to be an anchor in this receiver corps. 

DROTY: Sam Eguavoen.  I have a helluva time remembering how to pronounce his name, but he was a lot of fun to watch as the pre-season wore on.  I love his motor.  At times it seemed like he was always near the ball by the time the whistle blew.  I have the slimmest of hopes that we've found Wake 2.0.  Let a guy dream.