Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Summer Project- Home Brewing Kombucha

I have been trying to kick the habit of drinking soda for a long time. It's horrible for you, it adds to weight issues, its unnecessary expenditure, etc. A couple months ago, the fiancee and I stumbled upon a drink called kombucha. It is a carbonated, fruit-flavored, fermented sweet tea, (very low alcohol per volume, about 0.5% at most, doesn't taste alcoholic at all- though you can make alcoholic kombucha if you want to, its just a bit trickier). We both love it and its very good for you. Issue is, it's very expensive, running on average around $2.50 for a 16oz bottle, much more than soda. 

I looked into how to get it cheaply, and everything I ran into said to make your own. I was a little intimidated at first, but we just finished our first batch and it turned out amazing.

https://imgur.com/a/9WG9bcq

We have berry, peach-nectarine, and strawberry in this picture and all of them were good. We decided to make a larger batch this time and made eight liters with 11 different flavors.

It's a really fun project to do together, there's hardly anything difficult about it, and it costs pennies per bottle. All it needs is time- 5-10 days for first fermentation, and then 2-3 days for second fermentation and carbonation. Pop it in the fridge for six hours and voila, you have a great fizzy drink.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

My wife tried to get me on that as a probiotic but when we got the SCOBEE(?) thing and told me what it was, I have never thought about it again until now lol. 

Admittedly soda isn't a problem for me. I like tea and water.

Edited by Omerta
  • Like 1

I'm not a fan of kombucha but I'm a bit jealous of the people who brew their own stuff. I'd really like to try one day. Though a friend of mine makes his own beer and it looks like a massive pain in the ass 

This is nothing like beer, it's extremely easy to brew.