Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Andrew Luck retires

I don't feel bad for him at all. I mean, he has dealt with a lot of injuries over his career and I don't wish him any ill will or want him to suffer with any ailments related to those injuries. But he's got freedom. His had the awareness to realize the love for the game was gone. He didn't squeeze the Colts or his career for more money. He's just doing what he wants to do. Props to him for that. 

I hope he enjoys his life, family, and friends. 

And please, for the love of God... stay the fuck away from a career in broadcasting.

• Upvote 1

Warning to other teams: do not forsake offensive line when trying to build a championship franchise. Ryan Grigson is a fucking loser.

• Upvote 1

The damage was done, I think.

Yeah he had a mysterious new injury that would keep him out for a good amount of this season, if not all of it. I'm sure if he was healthy now he wouldn't have retired. The Colts had one of the best QB prospects ever and just wasted him.

9 hours ago, Zack_of_Steel said:

But they just built him one of the best lines in the league.

Little too late.

• Upvote 1

I very much do not and have not liked Luck pretty much since Day 1. But what the heck are fans in Indy thinking as they boo Luck leaving the field for (what I assume) is the final time? Heathens. lol

• Upvote 1

And his pressures were inflated by having Arians as his coach. His entire offense just asks to get his QB killed unless you've got a pro bowl OL. 7 step drop, deep crossing routes, inability to scheme for the talent he has. Fuck BA.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:50 AM, DalaiLama4Ever said:

I very much do not and have not liked Luck pretty much since Day 1. But what the heck are fans in Indy thinking as they boo Luck leaving the field for (what I assume) is the final time? Heathens. lol

I can understand their reaction. Luck did wait to announce this until Week 3 of preseason. At least, I hope that's why they booed.  His reasons for retiring are solid, but his timing absolutely sucks. It makes me wonder how long he's been thinking about this. If it's been since he got his new injury he should have retired way earlier. If he had it would have still been sad, but dignified. Doing it this close to the regular season opens him up to being attacked for being "selfish" and "screwing over his team". Not that I think this of him, but I've already seen the debates starting among the talking heads about it. Either way, its sad to lose such a great player form the sport. He deserved a better team and some rings on his fingers. Instead he got wasted and broken by the Colts management. 

• Upvote 1

Management definitely also has a big part to play in this. Irsay needs to get tossed out on his ass for creating this mess by hiring Grigson in the first place.

It won't happen though, because people are fucking idiots and don't care...unless it involves $$$

Andrew, I wish you well. Enjoy your life.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:02 PM, Jayrus said:

I can understand their reaction. Luck did wait to announce this until Week 3 of preseason. At least, I hope that's why they booed.  His reasons for retiring are solid, but his timing absolutely sucks. It makes me wonder how long he's been thinking about this. If it's been since he got his new injury he should have retired way earlier. If he had it would have still been sad, but dignified. Doing it this close to the regular season opens him up to being attacked for being "selfish" and "screwing over his team". Not that I think this of him, but I've already seen the debates starting among the talking heads about it. Either way, its sad to lose such a great player form the sport. He deserved a better team and some rings on his fingers. Instead he got wasted and broken by the Colts management. 

The Colts management knew he was hurt for a couple months. They knew he was seriously considering retirement as of preseason week 1- after he put himself through the drills and figured out he was again going to have to go through a whole season with pain. 

I really can't blame Luck. Even if he doesn't retire he's not playing this year with this injury, or if he does he's not going to be 100%, so what's the difference for this season? If anything, at least the Colts can now definitively give Brissett a year to see if he can be the guy. (I doubt this very much but its worth a shot.)

The Colts had two sure-fire Hall of Fame QBs, (if Luck had played his whole career), and got one Lombardi trophy out of it. That is on the shoulders of management, not the QB.

That said, I do understand the reaction in the heat of the moment. I would hope cooler heads will prevail later on.

I am seeing some people say his shoulder injury was because of snowboarding and so is this new ankle injury, if that's true, that's absolutely on him. But I can't find anything solid on it.

Edited by Thanatos

I guess what bothers me most about this situation is twofold:

1.  I don't blame Schefter for doing his job.  If he hadn't broken the news, someone else would have.  I'm more annoyed with the source of the leak.  Whether it was intentional or just a slip of the tongue, it was not that individual's story to break.  This was a life-changing decision for Luck and a season-altering one for the Colts.  Common decency would be to let Luck go out on his terms, because it's the right thing to do.  

2.  I understand fans being upset about suddenly losing a key part of the team so close to the start of the season...but booing a guy like Luck, who (from an outsider's perspective) seems to have been nothing short of a model citizen for the franchise, is in extremely poor taste.  It says volumes more about those fans than it does about him as a player or person.  At the end of the day, fans do not own the rights of players or their career decisions.  Acting entitled doesn't do them any favors.  On top of that you have idiots like Gottlieb calling not wanting to endure more rehab a "millenial thing".  Bitch, please.  Luck's injury history reads like the DSM.  Only someone who hasn't endured that kind of punishment would say something that tone-deaf, sarcastic or not. 

• Upvote 1