Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Week 2

I have thoughts.

Oh boy do I have thoughts.

Here we go.

Cam Newton needs to retire, he's looked like one of the worst QB's in the league ever since his shoulder injury last season. Dude just doesn't have it anymore, and it doesn't seem like his game will adjust to his loss of athleticism. Bring on the Will Grier experiment

• Sad 1

Questions after last night:

1. Does Cam Newton scare anyone anymore?

2. How good is Christian McCaffrey, really? If I have a good defense with LBs that can cover, he's pretty much neutralized.

3. Is a controlled, patient Jameis Winston good enough to win more games like this or do the Bucs need a balance between last night's game manager and a gunslinger?

4. What's the ceiling of this Bucs defense?

Bucs will make the playoffs. 

Cam is simply  doing what he's  paid to do. If he were really that bad, he'd have been let go 2 years ago. 

Yeah,right? He goes to SB but can't hit the side of a barn since? So stupid to believe that. He's fine and making millions. 

On 9/13/2019 at 9:00 AM, BwareDWare94 said:

Questions after last night:

1. Does Cam Newton scare anyone anymore?

2. How good is Christian McCaffrey, really? If I have a good defense with LBs that can cover, he's pretty much neutralized.

3. Is a controlled, patient Jameis Winston good enough to win more games like this or do the Bucs need a balance between last night's game manager and a gunslinger?

4. What's the ceiling of this Bucs defense?

1. Nope.

2. Uh, the entire defense was keying on him all night. CMC is a top-3 back in the NFL.

3. Not even close. Winston is done.

4. The 49ers dropped 31 on them last week. End of discussion.

Christian McCaffrey is not a top 3 running back. I'm sorry man but you're just wrong, there.

Who do you have ahead of him?

Possibles would be: Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliot, Le'Veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamara, and that's all I really see. Melvin Gordon? David Johnson? Possibly? I don't really think so. Dalvin Cook? Too early.

So lets break it down.

Barkley is insane, on a team who has no weapons and no QB. Barkley > CMC.

Zeke is the powerhouse of a Cowboys offense but he is also behind an incredible fucking O'line. Not sure on this one.

Bell has sat out a full year. If at the top of his game, Bell is better. That remains to be seen as of yet.

Gurley is hurt. If fully healthy, Gurley is better. 

Kamara is essentially a clone of CMC on a much better offense with a better Oline, a better QB and he's had a rushing partner to spell him, along with far better WRs to take pressure off the run-game. CMC is better than Kamara, IMO, because they produce on a similar level, but CMC has the worse team.

I'd rank them:

1. Gurley- if fully heathy.

2. Barkley

3. Zeke

4. Bell- if fully back.

5. McCaffrey

6. Kamara.

As I have said, I don't think Gurley is healthy, and I don't know about Bell at this moment. So right now, CMC is #3. Even if they are back, he is #6 at worst, and if you're taking Kamara over CMC I can't really blame ya, but I think you're discounting the fact that the Saints offense has been a powerhouse from the moment Kamara stepped in.

Jags are still the Jags.

:welp:

David Johnson is essentially a big CMC. He's better if he stays healthy.

Barkley, Zeke, Gurley, Kamara--they're all better. If Bell is the same, he's better.

And yes, if Dalvin Cook stays healthy moving forward, he too will be better. 

Dalvin Cook? Really? Cook has shown us two games and you're already saying he's better than CMC, based on literally one game from CMC where he didnt do so well? That's homer talk. It's also completely unfair to CMC because you're assuming he doesnt improve. He's done nothing but improve his first three years.

Kamara isnt better, IMO, because of the difference in offenses. DJ hasn't been the same for two years, he is not better right now.

Gurley is clearly hurt. He's not like he used to be. It's Barkley, Zeke, CMC atm. And I think you can argue Zeke, like I said, best Oline in football atm. Bell can get in there and so can Gurley, if they return to form and IF CMC doesn't get better.

Edited by Thanatos

I guess we're going to agree to disagree. There are 5-8 RBs I'd take before McCaffrey.

Other observations:

1. Minnesota can't have a kicker, I guess. Aside from one or two years of good Walsh, we haven't had a good kicker since Ryan Longwell. But let's call a spade a spade--the Vikings gave up on Daniel Carlson way too soon.

2. Carson Wentz has to get the Eagles offense into the red zone in the first quarter, moving forward. They can't keep having these slow starts.

3. Time to start fearing Dallas, imo. Yes, it's 2 games against two bad teams, but I think this might be the scariest offense seen in Dallas since the season of the catch.

4. All the analysts will blame Pittsburgh's 6-10 season on injuries. Hint: they weren't a good team even when healthy 

5. I think Jacoby Brissett will be fine in Luck's place. The Colts will have to play a different style, though.

Jags might be 0-2 but watching that game, minshew is for real. I thought (and still think) the Foles signing was a disaster mistake but the jags are gonna be bailed out of it. 

I wish the Bills could just play bad teams. It's much more fun. 

I hope the saints get fucked over by officiating literally every game. That play being blown dead was so satisfying. 

• Lamar Jackson is really good.
  • Pat Mahomes is decent.
  • The NFC South is a bit of a mess. With Brees hurt, it's a division full of mediocrity.
  • Kyler Murray is fun to watch. Everyone who instantly labeled him a bust (myself included) is backing off, and rightfully so.
  • The Patriots are going 16-0, aren't they?
  • The Dolphins are going 0-16, aren't they?
  • Eagles need to stop with the slow starts, but they also need to stop with the injuries.
  • The Packers are an elite team again, I think.

I'm not sold on Green Bay as a team, but all the people who said Rodgers was washed are morons.  

Also, we can all agree the Kirk signing was a disaster right?

Oh and as for the rb debate to me the top 3 is Saquon, Kamara, Elliot in that order. McCaffery would be #4. I don't think a healthy Gurley will ever exist again so saying "healthy gurley" is irrelevant.

I can see why it's tempting to declare Kamara a product of Brees but it's not like the saints have ever had a running back do what he's done. Brees is gone for 6 weeks though so we'll get to see. Though I like teddy as a short-term guy. 

Edited by blotsfan

Packers still need to show more to start being considered elite but I do think they have the potential to get there this season. Opening up the season with Chicago and Minny with new coach and system is a tough challenge so going 2-0 is a great start. Offense still has plenty to work on as they completely stalled out after those 3 first drives. Receivers not named Adams have to find to get open more consistently. Overall pretty happy with the defense but the 3 big plays they did give up yesterday almost sunk them, need to work on that and better tackling or a team like the Chiefs will make them pay. The 3 big FA acquisitions are already paying big dividends and that secondary is looking solid. If the Packers are actually interesting in Minkah Fitzpatrick and get him, they probably have one of the best young secondaries.

Other thoughts:

• Trubisky has not looked good thus far and not sure if he is the answer. He was supposed to take the next step with another year under Nagy but has somehow looked worse. He needs to have a big bounce back game next week before facing the Vikes the following week. Otherwise tt's going to be up to that defense and running game to get them to the playoffs.
  • Chargers are all over the place. I picked them to win the division but between injuries and Gordon holding out to go along with their inconsistent play, that's starting to look unlikely.
  • If the Patriots could just stop being good, that would be great.
  • I'm not really sold on the Eagles. I had them as NFCE winner before the season but I haven't been impressed by their play yet. Obviously injuries are taking their toll so I will give them some benefit of the doubt but they have plenty of room to improve if they want to challenge Dallas.
  • I'll add onto SteVo's point and say both South divisions are a mess right now and will be interesting to see how both play out.

As for the RB discussion, I have Cmac as my #3 RB right now behind Saquon and Zeke. Taking up to 8 RBs ahead of him is ridiculous.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

It's totally fair to be skeptical about the Eagles. If we avoid major injury I'm still confident they'll have a great year, but they have yet to hit their stride. Dallas has looked great, albeit against bad teams.

Packers definitely need to be more consistent. Limit the big plays (Cook is very average if we don't give him a nearly untouched 75 yard run). That needs to get cleaned up. And there are just too many plays we miss by a fraction of an inch. I can't even say how many times yesterday Aaron dropped an absolute DIME into a WR who just.. ended up dropping the ball or whatever. Not saying some of those weren't tough / contested catches... But those guys get paid to haul those in. If you can only catch passes when you're wide open, I don't have time for you lol. Same thing on defense though, our defenders get to the QB so often (or at least relative to what we were the last few years), but Kirk Cousins of all people looked like Houdini. We let at least 3 sacks just slip away and at least one them ended up being a huge play. 

However, it is nice to see a game where our offense can take 3 quarters off and we still win. I do love the tempo and energy of both sides of the ball. It actually looks like these guys give a shit, which is a good change on its own regardless of how our final record falls. You can tell this change (coaching) and all the FAs we brought in have morphed the locker room into something a lot better than what it was. I am excited to watch how the season unfolds, even knowing there are gonna be some really ugly bumps along the way. 

Other Random Thoughts
- I said this before the season started, but the Colts are going to be fine. I am not going to make any bold and stupid predictions when it comes to the playoffs -- but Jacoby is playing very good football right now. Now for the bold and stupid stuff.... I think he may be better suited for this Colts team than Andrew Luck. Luck is/was obviously more naturally gifted to play the position but it really looks like Brissett fits this team better. He's not putting them into holes (again, it's 2 games, I get it) and he's just playing fundamentally good football. He's not as flashy or prone to the big plays as Luck, but overall I think he's more steady and reliable. 

- I haven't gotten to watch him play but Kyler Murray's statline looks really good. David Johnson being made of glass might sink them though as teams begin to assimilate to the Cardinals offensive tempo. 

- Miami definitely looks like 0 - 16 material barring some fluke. 

- The Bills have been better than I expected, even considering the competition. Which means they are gonna finish 6 - 10.

-  Daniel Jones at QB makes the Giants better instantly. It's kind of a sad way for Eli to end, and I understand how it might be kind of ugly from an organizational stand point -- but if winning is the goal, Eli needs to sit. Although to be fair, Pat Shurmur is a trash tier head coach.. Maybe you could make an argument that putting Jones in there may just stunt his development. 

Ben's gonna retire, right?

1 minute ago, Vin said:

Ben's gonna retire, right?

Sure don't seem like it.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:19 PM, Thanatos said:

Who do you have ahead of him?

Possibles would be: Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliot, Le'Veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamara, and that's all I really see. Melvin Gordon? David Johnson? Possibly? I don't really think so. Dalvin Cook? Too early.

So lets break it down.

Barkley is insane, on a team who has no weapons and no QB. Barkley > CMC.

Zeke is the powerhouse of a Cowboys offense but he is also behind an incredible fucking O'line. Not sure on this one.

Bell has sat out a full year. If at the top of his game, Bell is better. That remains to be seen as of yet.

Gurley is hurt. If fully healthy, Gurley is better. 

Kamara is essentially a clone of CMC on a much better offense with a better Oline, a better QB and he's had a rushing partner to spell him, along with far better WRs to take pressure off the run-game. CMC is better than Kamara, IMO, because they produce on a similar level, but CMC has the worse team.

I'd rank them:

1. Gurley- if fully heathy.

2. Barkley

3. Zeke

4. Bell- if fully back.

5. McCaffrey

6. Kamara.

As I have said, I don't think Gurley is healthy, and I don't know about Bell at this moment. So right now, CMC is #3. Even if they are back, he is #6 at worst, and if you're taking Kamara over CMC I can't really blame ya, but I think you're discounting the fact that the Saints offense has been a powerhouse from the moment Kamara stepped in.

The problem is injuries imo. If Healthy David Johnson is as good if not better than anyone there. 

Same with Gurley.

So you could argue if everyone is healthy CMC is 7. 

That said we don't live in that world so at this point I can't put him lower than 4. Zeke, Kamara, and saquon got him imo. I haven't seen the Sam hell but if he returns to for than yeah he is 5.

2 hours ago, Omerta said:

The problem is injuries imo. If Healthy David Johnson is as good if not better than anyone there. 

Same with Gurley.

So you could argue if everyone is healthy CMC is 7. 

That said we don't live in that world so at this point I can't put him lower than 4. Zeke, Kamara, and saquon got him imo. I haven't seen the Sam hell but if he returns to for than yeah he is 5.

DJ was healthy last year and didn't really look like his old self.

Like I said, I don't personally agree with Kamara > CMC because Kamara has so many more weapons around him, but I think its close enough Im not really gonna argue the point.

1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

DJ was healthy last year and didn't really look like his old self.

Like I said, I don't personally agree with Kamara > CMC because Kamara has so many more weapons around him, but I think its close enough Im not really gonna argue the point.

He was bad but that o line is historically bad and they still didn't feed him

The weapons thing goes both ways imo. CMC is going to get FED, like he is now. Kamara has to split touches with 3 other playmakers.

6 hours ago, Omerta said:

He was bad but that o line is historically bad and they still didn't feed him

The weapons thing goes both ways imo. CMC is going to get FED, like he is now. Kamara has to split touches with 3 other playmakers.

I think when everyone's focusing on you they can stop you pretty easily.