Phenomenal TJ

What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I didn't say all games, just Bethesda's.

Got into the Titanfall beta today. It's really good for the most part, just takes a bit of getting used to. Running around with the smart pistol, which is broken.

Who needs aim bot when you have a smart pistol?

China Rising is the best DLC I've played on a BF game so far. I think they should re-work the bomber a bit to make it more effective, but it's a great set of maps and perfectly fits the Battlefield set-up. I think it might be better than any of the BF3 map packs, too.

Smart pistol may be one of the dumbest ideas a game has ever used. Other than that, the game is solid.

http://www.irrationalgames.com/

A Message From Ken Levine

When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.

We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It’s been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What’s next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*

What’s next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

We do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.

-Ken Levine

@iglevine

This is kinda random, but don't know where else to put this... I watch Twitch a lot for game speed runs (as I ahve told some of you before). watching an Aussie go for the Pokemon Blue world record and his reset counter is at a whopping 15,602. Pretty epic. Lol

smart pistol isn't broken at all lol...

pretty useless at medium range and very easy to counter if you don't stand still like a retard. it helps to be able to aim at a person lol. it takes longer to lock with smart pistol than it takes to aim down the sights and fire to kill someone

wanna know whats OP? sub-machine gun with scatterfire. that shits my jam. never went a game where i didn't get at least 20 kills with that thing

pretty useless at medium range and very easy to counter if you don't stand still like a retard. it helps to be able to aim at a person lol. it takes longer to lock with smart pistol than it takes to aim down the sights and fire to kill someone

wanna know whats OP? sub-machine gun with scatterfire. that shits my jam. never went a game where i didn't get at least 20 kills with that thing

To be fair, it doesn't seem like 20 kills is all that hard if you have any experience with FPS. The minion grinding and low level AIs seem to guarantee good K/Ds for everyone. lol

To be fair, it doesn't seem like 20 kills is all that hard if you have any experience with FPS. The minion grinding and low level AIs seem to guarantee good K/Ds for everyone. lol

How is K/D calculated in this game though? Cause it lists Pilot kills and Grunt kills separately.

lol coz I mean 20 kills including grunts right?

I mean pilot only. If you look at your overview, there's a kd for all kills and a kd for players only.

Smart pistol is good for attrition if killing minions quickly gives you some sort of satisfaction. 1v1, someone with a smart pistol should lose 9 times out of 10 if the other person is using any other weapon (assuming he has good aim lol)

Man... Lightning Returns is so epic.

Cons:

- Traditional grinding is cut out of the game. You don't get XP for battles like pretty much every FF game ever... However, everything in the game is based around time... And you can grind for EP, which allows you to do things like stop time, which becomes VERY valuable mid-late game if you want the strongest character possible. I know a lot of people don't like grinding and thus this may not be a con for them... But I am old-school.

- As I get further into the game, I care less and less about the time restraints because of what I mentioned above. I am able to grind more now than I was in early game so I am able to extend my play time. However, especially at the beginning of the game, everything is just so fast... time flies by and you can't do much about it. It's a real pain. I have warmed up to this element of the game, but I would still rather not see it return in future installments.

- It seems like the ratio between side quests to main story is drastically unbalanced. They do a nice job integrating a lot of the side quests. They are all relevant in a way, so that isn't the issue. But going through and playing, it does sometimes feel you are more so doing chores for other people rather than progressing through the story. If you aren't a completionist like I am most of the time, this probably won't be an issue for you.

Pros:

- The addition of the Outerworld is very cool. It's basic in it's design and could be much better, but it's still cool. You can take screenshots, send items or messages to other people online playing through Lightning Returns. There is no direct interaction with other players, but if you have an internet conneciton, you will see citizens around town with blips above their hands and it's an indication that that citizen has something from the "outerworld" (another real player). I've gotten and seen some cool gear and items and I like to think I returned the favor by sending out a few monster drop only weapons I grinded for.

- The evolution of the story and combat system is unlike any other FF game or series before it. The way the system moves and adapts to new styles of play from 13 to 13-2 to Lightning Returns is just phenomenal. You go from a 3 party team (with others in the wings) and an in depth crystarium (skill grid) to a 2 party team (plus a monster) with an updated paradigm system to a one party team where you don't get XP for battles but for doing quests and arguably the most in depth paradigm system yet. The evolution... the adaptation... So seamless, so perfect. They nailed it. NAILED IT. They took what they had in one game and refined it every step of the way. That's what you want out of sequels. I won't spoil anything story wise... But let's just say I was a little peeved and skeptical of LR after I saw how 13-2 ended... Boy, was I wrong. The evolution and refining I was talking about with the combat? Same can be said for the story, and I will leave it there.

- The customization is out of this world. There are SO MANY different skills, weapons, garb (clothes that determine your skills, strengths, and weaknesses), and even accessories is just INSANE. I just recently unlocked a ninja job type garb and I nearly blew a load over my controller. So bad ass... Paired it with a weapon drop you can only get for eliminating every single skeleton enemy in the game and a shield reward I got from the outerworld. Uhhhhh. So sexy.

- Minor details... This is just one random example because there are so many small things I could compliment. But spread throughout the world are seemingly nomadic musicians. They just stand around playing a tune and / or singing with their mandolins... Numerous times I open up a shop menu next to these guys (as to not waste time) and just listen to them play. It's fantastic... A small detail, but so awesome. I love stuff like this.

- The achievements are fantastically set. This is an, overall, small thing.. But they are so well done. They are spaced out properly with perfect level of difficulty / easy of attainment. I recently bought Dynasty Warriors 8, right.. Love the game, but getting the vast majority of achievements would be literal death. Grinding for HUNDREDS of hours. It sucks and makes me feel like shit and that I am not accomplishing much. Not an issue on this game.. They are far enough in between and hard enough to actually feel like you are accomplishing something when the achievement marker comes up.

In my, oh so humble opinion... This is one of my favorite FF titles.. I haven't beaten it yet, so that MIGHT change. But still the best title in almost 15 years (X).

I am sure there is a ton I left out, and I will add or subtract stuff when I beat it... I am slightly worried about what end game will offer, if anything. Right now I can't see end-game being much of anything with both how the story and gameplay have gone so far... but, eh.. we will see.

• Upvote 1

BF4. Got it on PS4 and PC. EA is a joke. This game wont load 3/4 of the time on PC. Its so buggy and shitty. I would take a refund if they offered it. Should expect nothing more than a turd from EA.

Considering buying BF4 Premium so I can get the rest of the DLCs for cheaper. I received China Rising (which is awesome) for free because of pre-order, but I pulled the trigger too soon and pre-ordered before they offered Premium with pre-order (which was a month or so after that anyway). I checked on the BF4 store, and each DLC is worth about $15.00 (not including tax). I only have about $14.90 on my account, so buying Premium (~$50.00 I think) might actually be cheaper.

Very excited for Naval Strike. They confirmed that Titan Mode from BF:2142 is being replaced with Carrier Strike.

I've also heard that Dragon's Teeth will feature extensive urban maps based in China. I love urban designed maps, so hopefully that will be fun.

So far, China Rising is just perfect. There were only a few maps on the base game that had a Battlefield feel to them, and the rest just seemed like they weren't suited for either Battlefield or Call of Duty. I'm hoping the DLCs keep it up with that.

BF4. Got it on PS4 and PC. EA is a joke. This game wont load 3/4 of the time on PC. Its so buggy and shitty. I would take a refund if they offered it. Should expect nothing more than a turd from EA.

It's one of the worst games I've played in recent memory. I bought it for $20 and couldn't stomach it long enough to recoup my losses in any way.

Does anyone play BF4 on 360?

I have a copy of BF4 on 360 you can have... :p

Been playing a lot of Hearthstone recently, if anyone else plays and wants to duel, my ID is Thanatos#1252.

Been playing a lot of Hearthstone recently, if anyone else plays and wants to duel, my ID is Thanatos#1252.

OJ Hype. Say hi to Kripp for me if you ever run into him in arena.

Are you guys playing it with other people? I had grievances with it at first (and still do), but playing it with some of my friends makes it 150% more enjoyable. We actually flank, take objectives, and are very productive. Trust me, BF4 is SOOOOO much more fun when you play the objective.

Example:

On Dragon's Pass, there is a village © that gives you access to the bomber. It's where most of the combat is. They had a tank and a bunch of infantry by the bridge to our closest objective, while our team was just sniping outside of my friend and I and 2-3 more people. We flanked around, took out a few snipers, and came up on the ridge by that bridge and took them by surprise. Our teammates destroyed the tank and we capped C, held it the rest of the map, and literally won our team the game.

Maybe you guys have other grievances. Why don't you like it?

i couldn't play an FPS without my friends s:

i don't even want to imagine it...

my KD would ultra drop lol

i couldn't play an FPS without my friends s:

i don't even want to imagine it...

my KD would ultra drop lol

My K/D has gone up by a tenth since I played with my friend, and I've only played ~15 matches with him. That's actually a good increase. It's hard to maintain a good K/D on console because everyone is fucktarded and just lone wolfs it. I try to spawn on SL and follow him, but he just runs in and dies and I'm stuck alone wondering, "Why is my squad so dumb?"

Persona 4 Golden.

This game is the devil. I've made it to a boss that I can't beat because I'm apparently way underleveled. I try to grind in the area, and can make it through like two groups of monsters before my luck runs out and I get killed (yay the game ending when the one main character in the party gets KO'd despite the fact that you have other people and healing items) and have to start the floor over again. I could go back to a previous location and try to grind there, but it takes too long because the EXP isn't enough per kill to make it worth it...

Bah.

Edited by Vin

Takes too long? Psh. Grow a pair and do some heavy grinding, Vin.