Phenomenal TJ

What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Warhawk

Dynasty Warriors 7. 82 playable characters this time around, epic story and conquest modes, this might be their best release yet.

Ordered Mass Effect 2 last night, overnight shipping since none of the Gamestops around here had it. Fucking GS.

Dynasty Warriors 7. 82 playable characters this time around, epic story and conquest modes, this might be their best release yet.

Let me know how it plays Raz as the last few have been meh, Still pissed they took the Tofica's off Sun Ce

Sun Ce was kinda gay anyway... lol.

Holy crap. That looks badass. When is it's release date?

To be announced.

Here's an interview with the developers:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1158925p1.html

Developer Adhesive Games has been releasing some amazing videos for its mech combat game Hawken. The animations and attention to detail are really impressive, especially when seen from in-cockpit view. To get a sense of how it'll actually play, Adhesive's art director Khang Le and technical lead Jon Kreuzer answered some questions for IGN and somehow made the game seem even better.

IGN: How long has this been in development for and where did the idea come from?

Jon Kreuzer: Hawken has been in development for about 9 months. When we originally talked about setting up the company we were actually going to make a different game completely. Then before we started Khang said he wanted to make a 3D mech game instead.

Khang Le: It was definitely a last minute change of direction. I realized that the core team was very comfortable with creating 3D assets and it's best to utilize the talents we have. I love the idea of a mech game and played most of the popular ones. I have to admit though that they mostly weren't very fun for me. They're either too slow or too arcadey. We're looking to make a mech game that we'd always dreamed of playing.

IGN: What are some of the inspirations for the visuals?

Khang Le: Some obvious elements we pull from are classic sci-fi movies such as Blade Runner, Alien, etc. From anime: Tekkon Kinkreet, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor. From video games it's MechWarrior and Phantom Crash. Shadow of Colossus is a favorite of mine for its atmosphere and lighting.

The overall visual [style] of the game is also heavily influence by our limited resources. I design the environment style around kitbashing like the old Star Wars. It works well for us since the game isn't grounded in reality, we can jam random things together and make it visually pleasing. I also like the look of old broken down machines. Not so much the cool and shiny humanoid robots. I want it to look as if our mechs were built in WW1, Frankensteined together, on the verge of breaking apart.

IGN: Is there a story to this world at all? If so, could you describe the setup and why these mechs are fighting?

Khang Le: We are still feeling out the overall story. What we can reveal is that our game takes place in a post apocalyptic, Earth-like world. The different factions are fighting over the remaining resources using mechs. It's not very original I know [laughs]. There are some ideas I'm thinking of that will make it a bit more unique. I like a story that doesn't explain much, like the movie The Road. You don't really know what happened, you just know that things went wrong somewhere along the way. More Hawken story will be revealed down the line.

IGN: What kind of differentiation exists between the mechs? Do they fit into specific roles?

Jon Kreuzer: There will be at least three different base mech types. One that's a faster more mobile type, one that's heavier and more tank-like, and one in the middle. They can be important for different roles, especially in our original team modes.

IGN: Can you swap in and out parts? Are the mechs modular?

Jon Kreuzer: Currently the weapons can be swapped out. There is an upgrade system where you can put points into categories that we're still working out the final details of. We also plan to do more with visual differentiation of the mechs in the future, so expect more variety than there is in the debut trailer.

IGN: What sorts of movement styles do the mechs have? Short evades, jetpack jumps?

Khang Le: We wanted to keep the sense of weight to the mechs. Our mechs walk and turn speed are actually quite slow. To compensate for that, we have the anime-like side-dash and a 180 degree instant-turn (like RE4). The jetpack is very fun when you play. It creates a lot of vertical gameplay moments that are exhilarating to experience. It's a difficult thing to juggle between heavy and weighty animations for the mechs while keeping the control responsive. I mean the player wouldn't want to press jump and have the mech jump a second or two later. Or land a jump and have a delay for the follow through animation before they can move. We are still trying to balance all this out to find the best middle ground between looks and play.

IGN: Are you planning a multitude of unlocks in the experience that gradually allow access to more powerful gear? Or are you concentrating on giving players an experience where they have to make the best of a set amount of equipment / gear?

Jon Kreuzer: More of the latter. We expect a set amount of gear that is available to everyone to choose from. However parts of the team base may be upgraded or powered with energy units during the course of a match.

Khang Le: This is because we don't want the best player to get even more advantage over the beginner. We want players to win by their skill and strategy and not by how much cool gear and stats they accumulated.

IGN: What perspective will you play the game from? Why was that perspective selected and what does it allow for?

Jon Kreuzer: The game is played from a first person in-cockpit view. Being played from pilot view makes for a more intense experience. Players feel more connected to the battle when they're trapped inside a hunk of steel and sparks fly and monitors flicker and shutdown. Also Hawken tends more towards FPS style gameplay, although it definitely still feels like a mech game.

Khang Le: There are many third-person mech games [that came] out in recent years. We wanted to bring back the old school FPS view from MechWarrior and Steel Battalion. There is a sort of immersion and claustrophobia you can only get from being in a cockpit. We want the player to see their cockpit with all the complicated screens, switches and dials. To see them scramble when hit by an EMP, to see them sparks and smokes when damaged. To make you really feel like you're driving a 7 meter walking tank on the verge of breaking down.

hawken-20110331024001433-000.jpgThe view from inside a mech.

IGN: What kind of considerations are there for keeping your mech up and running? Do you have fuel? Can individual components of your mech be damaged and does that affect movement capabilities? Would you be able to do field repairs or repair between rounds? Any sort of in-game currency system?

Jon Kreuzer: We have a boost meter that can run out with too much boosting, but will replenish with time. We don't have damage to individual parts of the mech that affects movement. There is something that could be considered a currency system where players can use energy units to power items in the world like turrets or generate new items for their mechs.

IGN: Can you see the damage on mech models? Do you have to repair in between matches?

Jon Kreuzer: Visible damage on the mechs is something we are hoping to add. It's not in our current build, so in the launch video and the FPS trailer the mechs are always spotless.

Khang Le: One of the most suspenseful aspects of Hawken is the fact that your health does not auto regenerate like most modern FPS. If you're low on health, you must duck out and find a spot to hide and repair your mech. It's an adrenaline rush to just barely cheat death and heal yourself in a dark corner somewhere hoping not to get killed in the process. One of the strategies of the game is to know when to run away. It's not all about constant offense in Hawken.

hawken-20110331024006527-000.jpgDeath from above.

IGN: It seems like the maps are being built to encourage players to jump between multiple elevations. Are the maps that we haven't seen designed this way as well?

Khang Le: We really wanted to push vertical gameplay for Hawken. This is one of the reasons why we designed our gameplay around the jetpack. It's just very cool to be boosting from building to building while hunting an enemy mech below.

IGN: What platforms are you planning on releasing Hawken for and around when might it come out? Are you targeting a higher or lower price point?

Jon Kreuzer: The platforms we'd like to release on are Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. We've just started dealing with the business side so we can't say if it will end up on all of them or when. We plan for Hawken to be a downloadable title with a lower price point than the average boxed game.

IGN: Thanks for your time.

Khang Le: We want to say thanks for the overwhelming support we have for Hawken from the online community and we will do our best to meet your expectations.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1159292p1.html

The last decade of the 20th century was something of a golden era for Square RPGs. And thankfully, many of them have been finding their way over to the PlayStation Network recently.

So let the flood continue unabated. Final Fantasy V is coming to the PlayStation Network.

According to the European Square-Enix Members website, Final Fantasy V will be coming to the European PlayStation Network as a PSone Classic, just like Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX did. Unfortunately, no release date has been announced, and there's no information on if or when it will be released in North America.

Final Fantasy V was originally released on the Super Famicom in 1992. It didn't find its way to North America or Europe until 1999, when it was released via the PlayStation collection known as Final Fantasy Anthology. In 2006, Final Fantasy V was again made available, this time on the Game Boy Advance.

Sick may have to get a PS3 again for em all

Ordered Mass Effect 2 last night, overnight shipping since none of the Gamestops around here had it. Fucking GS.

Wait, wut? You haven't played ME2 yet...? Dude.

About to play Mass Effect Arrival DLC and then finally start Uncharted 2.

What a phenomenal game UC2 is. Wow. Visually stunning. Great storyline. Extremely well written. Only gripe is I'm more of an XBox guy and using the smaller, more clumsy PS3 controller makes gameplay difficult at times. But I'm really thinking about getting UC1 and for sure can't wait for UC3 in November.

Yeah gameplay is a lot smoother, you can equip any weapon you want onto a character (Sun Ce with Twin Axes and Tonfas for the win), they got rid of that renbu crap, conquest mode is pretty sweet and you get a lot of playable characters through that route. Definitely worth a purchase once it gets into the 20 dollar range. They also added the Jin Empire, aka the biggest badasses around and the final unifiers of China.

What a phenomenal game UC2 is. Wow. Visually stunning. Great storyline. Extremely well written. Only gripe is I'm more of an XBox guy and using the smaller, more clumsy PS3 controller makes gameplay difficult at times. But I'm really thinking about getting UC1 and for sure can't wait for UC3 in November.

UC1 is really good, it's no UC2, but I'd still recommend picking up a used copy. I cannot fucking wait for UC3 either...it's going to be epic.

Yeah gameplay is a lot smoother, you can equip any weapon you want onto a character (Sun Ce with Twin Axes and Tonfas for the win), they got rid of that renbu crap, conquest mode is pretty sweet and you get a lot of playable characters through that route. Definitely worth a purchase once it gets into the 20 dollar range. They also added the Jin Empire, aka the biggest badasses around and the final unifiers of China.

Nice one thanks for that Raz, and see JD Sun Ce with Tonfas FTW :D

Nice one thanks for that Raz, and see JD Sun Ce with Tonfas FTW :D

Last one I played was dw4, which I loved.

Always used Gan Ning and Zhou Tai. In Dw4, I ended up fully leveling EVERY playable. THAT... is what you call dedication.

Edit

Actually, I'm lying... I bought another one because dw4 was so awesome. Can't remember which. May have been 6 empires? Anyway... Doesn't matter which one it was.. It sucked. Really bad.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Guys which is better MLB 2k11 or MLB The Show 11, I have played the show games before and loved them but it means id have to get a PS3 with it as well (I like the FF games so its not that bad of a thing) where as I can get MLB 2k11 for the xbox.

I dont wanna get 2k an it be shit so can u guys help me out?

Definitely The Show. This years 2K11 was the worst reviewed sports game I've seen in years.

Pretty cool tech demo.

Finally playing Red Dead Redemption. I've had it for months but never got around to playing it till now. Really enjoying it.

Dynasty Warriors 7. Haven't tried conquest yet. But started a story mode under the Wei dynasty... Xiahou Dun, ftw. I put it on easy just to make sure I remembered how to play.... Ended up killing like 1,100 soldiers.. haha.

I love the actual story telling that goes on in between battles. And the voice over / narrator is very awesome.

Definitely not liking the wide screen though. Might need to play it on a smaller tv. >_>

And Lu Bu is STILL a bitch. lol

Edited by Favre4Ever

Finally playing Red Dead Redemption. I've had it for months but never got around to playing it till now. Really enjoying it.

I'm the same way. Single player has soooo many options to go outside of the main story. I was playing it so much, I had to put it down for a little bit. Should pick it up. I still need to finish Mass Effect so I can transfer to ME2. ANNNNDDDD I have to finish Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

By the time I beat them all, it should be time to reload in November :biggrin:

I'm the same way. Single player has soooo many options to go outside of the main story. I was playing it so much, I had to put it down for a little bit. Should pick it up. I still need to finish Mass Effect so I can transfer to ME2. ANNNNDDDD I have to finish Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

By the time I beat them all, it should be time to reload in November :biggrin:

Yeah AND even when you do everything there is to do in the game you can always download the highly rated Undead Nightmare expansion.

Edited by KiLaSix9

I'm not a huge fan, although it isn't bad.

Just got done playing Black Ops.

Just finished ME2 (Still need to do the Shadow Broker DLC). Everybody survived the end except Zaeed (which I'm assuming is because I wasn't able to get his loyalty) Got to love epic final "levels".

Bring on ME3.

Currently on Wind Man in Mega Man 6.

Wind-Man-blowing.gif