Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Al Riveron--Should Teams Demand His Dismissal?

Al Riveron needs to go, period. Should the league's franchises demand that he is fired? My answer is a resounding yes.

What about you guys?

I like that DBs are allowed to play more physically. The PI challenge stuff was / is a mess, but I think that can be fixed. What's so egregious in your mind?

For pass interference, I have an idea that's been bouncing around in my head here.

I'd like to split it into two penalties. The con is that we add a judgement into the equation, but it's already a judgement call.

"Egregious Pass Interference"- same as it is now, spot of the foul.

"Pass Interference"- the college rule, 15 yard penalty or spot of the foul whichever is less yardage. 

Really my only beef with PI is giving teams 40+ yards on a ticky tack call, this would hopefully cut down on it.

The ability to challenge PI should be removed. The refs clearly don't want it, as they are just not overturning the call 90% of the time. 

PI should just be a fifteen yard penalty.

But we'll never get it cuz "well then DBs would just tackle dudes every play lulz"

4 hours ago, Vin said:

But we'll never get it cuz "well then DBs would just tackle dudes every play lulz"

I think that's what thana's suggestion addresses. I'd thought about that too, but it's really similar to the old facemask rule they got rid of because of issues with distinguishing them. You could probably accomplish the same thing by with calling the reality bad ones unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that can be added to the PI call.

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Vin said:

Personally I don't see this as a major issue, tbh. By the time you realize the dude has you beat that badly, he's likely out of range to be tackled. I think it might end up giving offenses more yards because defenders might try tackling someone who they really could have covered, just in case. An overreaction, in other words.

But since I know that would be a counterpoint, I'm proposing splitting it into two penalties to prevent that reaction.

1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

Personally I don't see this as a major issue, tbh. By the time you realize the dude has you beat that badly, he's likely out of range to be tackled. I think it might end up giving offenses more yards because defenders might try tackling someone who they really could have covered, just in case. An overreaction, in other words.

But since I know that would be a counterpoint, I'm proposing splitting it into two penalties to prevent that reaction.

It’s not just on those deep in stride passes though. Contested deep balls where the DB just has bad positioning or got beat but is recovering and can’t quite get there. 

It would definitely promote more man coverage and allow teams to stack the box , too. Line up in man, let your safeties play in ... if your Corner gets beat just interfere with the receiver. 

Jaire Alexander for the Packers just didn’t this against the Lions. He kinda tripped coming out of his stance.. WR crossing across the field had him beat clear as day. Alexander is chasing down the WR whose turned up field ... ball is thrown... Alexander trips / tackle the WR purposefully. Gets like a 30 yard penalty but if he doesn’t do that, it’s the easiest TD ever as it was straight up man and no safety help called on that play. 

With that said... I’m not saying that would be all that common or even that I disagree with your POV at all. I feel a lot of people who say that it would happen way more are just being really dramatic and blowing it out of proportion. I’m just offering a different view because it was a situation that was very relevant in a 3 point victory for the Packers with pretty big playoff seeding implications in play. 

To clarify: I'm not saying it would never happen, but I think the amount of times it does would be outweighed by ticky tack PI calls not giving teams 40 yards they didn't earn.

Not to change the penalty being discussed, but I think the handful of 5 yard penalties that come with an automatic first down are much bigger problems than PI. There is absolutely no reason an offense should be bailed out of a third and long because illegal contact, defensive holding, or hands to the face. Those rules are good rules if they're just 5 yard penalties.