Sign in to follow this  
BC

Luke Kuechely quits football

Not that you should trade long term mental health for a bronze bust, but does this hurt him for Canton? I have been wondering this lately about a lot of players, not specifically Luke.

The Legends of the game have a long career. Its just how it has always been with few exceptions. Looking at the great linebackers in the hall like Ray, Bell, Lambert, Hamm, LT, Urlacher, and so on, they all had longevity. Although Bell only had 11 seasons, but it is still 3 more at just as high a level as Luke. The rest had longer careers.

At his peak he was one of the best in the game, if not the best. You cant really deny that, but is it fair to wonder about his hall of fame credentials?

Are we going to have to change the way we judge for the hall of fame and weight peak performance versus longevity? I think what made Ray Lewis as well as Urlacher (sort of) is that they were the best for a long time and Ray was a top 10 Linebacker for 2 decades, top 5 for half and probably number one for the other half. Urlacher fought injuries toward the end but he would have been the best int eh game if not for Ray.

I know I would struggle giving him a hall of fame nod early. He certainly isnt first ballot, and I dont know if he would get in for a while. I can see the argument he shouldnt make it although Im not sure Im altogether with it.

What do you guys think ?

Luke was the best MLB in the league for, what, 4 years? 5? The only knock on him is duration. I agree he doesn't get in first ballot, but he's HoF to me for sure.

But I said he should have retired a couple years back when he had that one hit that left him completely out of his mind on the field. That was downright scary to watch. NFL is gonna have a lot more of these kinds of things, and probably a lot more people like Borland who realize early on its not worth it.

He and Patrick Willis both had nearly identical accolades and careers. I think they both deserve it, as not a lot of players had peaks like they did careers.

Yeah put him in the Hall. Bobby Wagner's still better tho ;)