Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Crazy Off Season This Year

I fully expect Brees to be playing in New Orleans next year but the Chargers have made it official that they're moving on from Rivers. I think Tom Brady is going be changing teams. What's really crazy though is that Dak could be changing teams or sitting out a year on the tag and apparently the rumor is Stafford might want out of Detroit. Cam Newton will likely be playing somewhere else too.

On the other hand you have Tua coming out, who before his injury everyone was talkiny abouy tanking for Tua but he might be the 2nd or 3rd ranked guy, maybe even 4th ranked on some teams draft boards. The guy who is pretty unanimously number 1 is coming off what was probably the greatest college football season for a quarterback of all time. Problem is, it was an awfully small sample size. 

How does everyone see this turning out? If Dallas tagged Dak and just swapped him with Stafford, that would be highly interesting. Detroit would still have a franchise QB and Dallas might actually have the money to bring back their free agents. Would Dak refuse to go to Detroit, though? Would Detroit rather try to draft a QB and use the haul they get for Stafford to build around their new QB?  What teams would be in on these veteran QB's? Probably Tennessee. Potentially Washington or maybe even Dallas. Oakland is a big possibility. How does everyone see this shaking out?

I'm ready for the Pats to move on from Brady. I'd rather not have the Pats pay $30m a pop for a 43 year old Brady. StidhamSZN comin :smug:

I get the feeling Brady is going to Oakland. I could see Dalton replacing him in New England. Dak stays put, as does Stafford, and Carr ends up in Florida. 

A.J. Green is interesting to me. Does he really wanna spend his last good years with an unproven kid fresh out of school? Does he go to the Pats, and if so does that get in way of Dalton potentially landing there? 

I dig all the uncertainty. 

I'm getting nervous about how close we're getting to free agency with no real news about any of our pending free agents. We're gonna be in a tough spot if any of Tannehill, Henry, Conklin, or Ryan leave. The odds of keeping all 4 were low to begin with, the fact that there's no news makes me wonder if we're going to lose multiple.

12 hours ago, oochymp said:

I'm getting nervous about how close we're getting to free agency with no real news about any of our pending free agents. We're gonna be in a tough spot if any of Tannehill, Henry, Conklin, or Ryan leave. The odds of keeping all 4 were low to begin with, the fact that there's no news makes me wonder if we're going to lose multiple.

I would do everything I could to keep Conklin. I can understand why folks in Tennessee want to keep Tannehill around but I think he just caps your team and paying a RB top dollar kind of hurts your cap situation, especially when you could get similar production out of a guy like Jordan Howard for way less money. Logan Ryan is a decent CB but not one that I would want to overpay too much for. The comp pick haul from those players would be pretty substantial too I would think. So I would let Tannehill and Henry walk. Definitely re-sign Conklin and try to get Ryan back. 

There's only about a 1% chance the Titans let Tannehill walk, and that 1% is if they manage to sign Tom Brady.

55 minutes ago, FartWaffles said:

There's only about a 1% chance the Titans let Tannehill walk, and that 1% is if they manage to sign Tom Brady.

You're probably right but i wouldn't do it unless it was a deal similar to the one Foles got. The Jags still kind of got burnt but his contract isn't killing them.

It's going to be interesting for sure. There's been all kinds of smoke flying all over the NFL. What we're still waiting for is to find out what the cap is gunna be and this whole CBA thing. That is the main thing that's holding everything up and I havn't really done my homework on what that falls into place but with the draft next month it must be soon. 

Titans should resign Tanny. Henry and Conklin. They just released Dion Lewis clearing up 4 mill in cap.  I'd release Delanie as well and clear up another 5 or 6 million. Those 2 cuts alone help us resign all 3 and still have money to sign free agents. Plus the draft.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, 56AceInDaPlace said:

Titans should resign Tanny. Henry and Conklin. They just released Dion Lewis clearing up 4 mill in cap.  I'd release Delanie as well and clear up another 5 or 6 million. Those 2 cuts alone help us resign all 3 and still have money to sign free agents. Plus the draft.

They released Delanie and Succop today after releasing Lewis and Wake yesterday. Making all of these moves to open cap space has me optimistic that we're gonna see a lot of signing announcements this weekend. No reason to sit on cap space with a team that was in the conference championship game last season.

Did he really have the leverage to force them to pay that much, or did they just willingly do it?  Keep in mind though the league just expanded to an 17 game season, raised the total cap allowed went up as well. So comparing this contract to any other is comparing apples to oranges. I think they should have paid him less and that its a longshot to pay off, but its still not as crazy as it looks at first glance after you digest the new changes that the new CBA launches. 

NFL players voted to approve a new collective bargaining agreement with the league's owners, ensuring NFL labor peace through at least 2030 and clearing the way for a 17-game regular season as early as 2021.

About an hour after the vote was released, sources told ESPN that the salary cap for the 2020 season would be $198.2 million, an increase of $10 million from last season. Overall player costs, which also counts benefits and the performance-based pay pool, per club are $242.9 million.

I'm happy we have Tannehill back, I'll wait to see how other deals shake out before I comment on the numbers, the first contracts always look worse initially than they do in broader comparison

So we just traded Jurrell Casey for a 7th rounder and I don't even know how to react, definitely don't like the move

Nick Foles is a Bear now? wild.

I'd like to see an announcement of everything in the NFL pushed back 4-6 weeks. Announce it at the draft. A March Super Bowl wouldn't hurt anyone. Players and coaches really need two full months to prepare for an NFL season.  Brady would probably be throwing with Charles Godfrey and Mike Evans and already have a little rapport. But just having preseason games in August with nothing else and then just all systems go just like that? Players new to systems / schemes, or teams with new coaches like Dallas not getting to build any rapport before going to battle. 

They've officially added two minutes to each teams "on the clock" time for the NFL Draft due to video chats being the main communication medium between all GMs, war room members of each team, man... is this even gunna work? Aren't there scenarios that have happened in the past where they had to internally fight and quarrel mere seconds before a selection is made? Like when someone had to rip the Johnny Manzel draft card out of Jerry Jones' hand that one year? Are we going to see war room brawls break out on live TV?

Edited by BC

On 3/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, oochymp said:

So we just traded Jurrell Casey for a 7th rounder and I don't even know how to react, definitely don't like the move

I'm still waiting to see what we do with the cap space this move created, not sure I'm gonna like it if it's for Clowney

17 hours ago, BC said:

I'd like to see an announcement of everything in the NFL pushed back 4-6 weeks. Announce it at the draft. A March Super Bowl wouldn't hurt anyone. Players and coaches really need two full months to prepare for an NFL season.  Brady would probably be throwing with Charles Godfrey and Mike Evans and already have a little rapport. But just having preseason games in August with nothing else and then just all systems go just like that? Players new to systems / schemes, or teams with new coaches like Dallas not getting to build any rapport before going to battle. 

They've officially added two minutes to each teams "on the clock" time for the NFL Draft due to video chats being the main communication medium between all GMs, war room members of each team, man... is this even gunna work? Aren't there scenarios that have happened in the past where they had to internally fight and quarrel mere seconds before a selection is made? Like when someone had to rip the Johnny Manzel draft card out of Jerry Jones' hand that one year? Are we going to see war room brawls break out on live TV?

They should cancel the season. Harsh but true. There exists no scenario where we want thousands of people packed into stadiums in fall, right when covid19 will be back. Will they? Extremely unlikely. But playing entirely without fans, the other possible option, only works so long as none of the players get it. Also not sure how the players would feel about that, given the lack of any sort of HFA then.