Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BC

COVID-19 and the political bitchfest among TGP members

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Spring training for MLB. Suspended. MLB regular season: delayed for two weeks (for now). NBA season: suspended with two of its very own players (Utah Jazz) now testing positive for the virus.  

The NCAA just announced they are going full on cancellation for ALL remaining basketball games for the season. Not delayed, not prohibited from having any spectators. March Madness and all tournament / championship games will cease to even exist in 2020. 

A lot of you are probably assuming due to the timing of NFL season that the NFL won't be affected by this. You're actually dead wrong. I'm not trying to join the hysteria or become one of those people that are trying to blow this out of proportion or anything. They said on SportsCenter just a lil bit ago that the league is trying to find a uniform way for all teams to operate under. Apparently teams in the areas that are more affected by the virus than others are taking this so seriously that they aren't even visiting with free agents or potential draft picks due to potential health-risks. This creates an unfair advantage for franchises in areas that aren't affected by this virus, or at least to the same extent. 

Where do we go from here? Is it right to just outright cancel events rather than delay them and keep all possibilities open for May, June, etc? Are we going to just have the NFL draft be held over the internet and television like its fantasy football or something? Does the MLB season get cut in half, or do we have the season go into the 2021 year and play in the frigid snowy seasons and just cancel the offseason? 

Edited by BC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The impact on the fairness of Sports is the absolute last thing we are worried about.

This is a global crisis. It's going to get worse. We had an emergency meeting of all pharmacy heads in the state of Indiana via conference call yesterday. I ain't trying to scare anyone here, but the CDC's estimates are going to come out and its not pretty. The estimates from our side is putting this, at an absolute minimum- three months shut down. This is assuming everyone follows all recommendations. The more realistic expectation at this point is 12-18 months. They are going to close everything for a good while. People say 3% mortality rate, not a big deal. COVID19 is almost certainly going to infect upwards of 75 million Americans, at least. That's the low end. That's over 2 million dead. Hopefully the US's advances in medicine can keep the mortality rate even lower than normal, but if people aren't being allowed free testing and treatment, our medical tech will be largely meaningless. It will be much higher if we don't take it seriously. Canada is expecting 70% infection. If the US gets the same, that's 230 million infected, and three times the number of deaths. This is also assuming the damn thing doesn't mutate. We need to act now, it is absolutely critical to keep this as least bad as we can.

Wash your damn hands. Cough in your arm. Stay the fuck away from everyone. Do not gather in groups of 10+. For the next two weeks, if at all possible, stay in doors as much as possible. Or at least away from any populated areas. Act like its pneumonia that you have advance warning you are going to get- stock up on everything you would get for pneumonia, (preferably you have already done this, but if not, it is worth ONE trip to go get the shit. Don't breath on anyone when you go.) Do not go to the hospital unless you start having trouble breathing then get the fuck to the ER immediately. Do not wait at all, if you have COVID19 symptoms and you start having trouble breathing, you need to get treatment ASAP.

Trump said earlier the world is at war with an invisible enemy, and that is exactly what this is. We have taken it lightly for too damn long. Glad the Pres is finally on board. 

Edited by Thanatos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just have to make sure people get infected at a slower steadier rate, enough so the hospitals and clinics can handle the cases at a reasonable pace. It's going to take a while for herd immunity to work, unfortunately. Because it's not just the people who get the virus who are risk. It's the people who get into accidents and the hospital can't take them in. A mild heart attack that could be fixed with a AED but doesn't happen because first responders can't get there in time. Stay safe Americans, you need to be way more cautious than I am, and I'm already quarantining myself.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2020 at 4:10 AM, Thanatos said:

The impact on the fairness of Sports is the absolute last thing we are worried about.

This is a global crisis. It's going to get worse. We had an emergency meeting of all pharmacy heads in the state of Indiana via conference call yesterday. I ain't trying to scare anyone here, but the CDC's estimates are going to come out and its not pretty. The estimates from our side is putting this, at an absolute minimum- three months shut down. This is assuming everyone follows all recommendations. The more realistic expectation at this point is 12-18 months. They are going to close everything for a good while. People say 3% mortality rate, not a big deal. COVID19 is almost certainly going to infect upwards of 75 million Americans, at least. That's the low end. That's over 2 million dead. Hopefully the US's advances in medicine can keep the mortality rate even lower than normal, but if people aren't being allowed free testing and treatment, our medical tech will be largely meaningless. It will be much higher if we don't take it seriously. Canada is expecting 70% infection. If the US gets the same, that's 230 million infected, and three times the number of deaths. This is also assuming the damn thing doesn't mutate. We need to act now, it is absolutely critical to keep this as least bad as we can.

Wash your damn hands. Cough in your arm. Stay the fuck away from everyone. Do not gather in groups of 10+. For the next two weeks, if at all possible, stay in doors as much as possible. Or at least away from any populated areas. Act like its pneumonia that you have advance warning you are going to get- stock up on everything you would get for pneumonia, (preferably you have already done this, but if not, it is worth ONE trip to go get the shit. Don't breath on anyone when you go.) Do not go to the hospital unless you start having trouble breathing then get the fuck to the ER immediately. Do not wait at all, if you have COVID19 symptoms and you start having trouble breathing, you need to get treatment ASAP.

Trump said earlier the world is at war with an invisible enemy, and that is exactly what this is. We have taken it lightly for too damn long. Glad the Pres is finally on board. 

I'm not medical professional. But isn't this something that is here to stay now? Like its going to be damn near impossible to completely rid the world of it. Only takes 1 person to have it for it to spread like wildfire again. A vaccine or something may help curb the effects of it. But I don't see how we can rid the world of something so contagious. Not to mention people are complete fucking idiots and won't listen to rules put in place because "This is "Merica ain't no government telling me to stay inside".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A vaccine will lower its levels to far less than the flu. Or so we hope. No one is wanting to entertain your possibility, but its absolutely a possibility. 

But you are correct that the vaccine will almost certainly not eradicate COVID19. It's going to be harder here too because of all the religious fuckwits that think they should be able to get an exemption for no reason. 

Right now we are just focused on containing it. If Trump listens to the Fox News talking heads, and I'm worried they are getting to him, and sends America back to work in 8 days, it will be catastrophic. There is a middle ground here, because I agree we can't self quarantine for 18 months, at least not with our current systems. Too many people would get kicked out of homes. But just acting like the worst has passed when the worst has yet to come will kill a lot of people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's a moron, but she has a point with this one... 
 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many people will though. If Trump says go back to work we're in trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya but if Trump says go back to work, we go back to work, and the virus spikes again...that costs him the election, doesn't it? I know an overwhelming majority of Trump's supporters will vote for him no matter what he does, but I still think this is something that leaves him vulnerable. This isn't rhetoric or political; this is actual people dying. And there's no plausible way he can blame it on anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason Coronavirus might hurt trump's election chances is because it disproportionately kills old people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, like 60% of people approve of Trump's handling of Corona. And 40% of Democrats which is much higher than I would have ever guessed. Will be interesting how those numbers change if he tells everyone to go back to work. Also, here in Iowa, our Governor just said that she will make decisions independent of Trump and doesn't really give a fuck what he says (and she's GOP). So... yeah, could be interesting start to April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteVo said:

Ya but if Trump says go back to work, we go back to work, and the virus spikes again...that costs him the election, doesn't it? I know an overwhelming majority of Trump's supporters will vote for him no matter what he does, but I still think this is something that leaves him vulnerable. This isn't rhetoric or political; this is actual people dying. And there's no plausible way he can blame it on anyone.

Oh, undoubtedly. I mean it would be a sheer numbers game. The people going back to work would disproportionately be Trump supporters, I would think, if medical experts are still saying stay home. I really don't think people get how potentially serious this is. If we end the shutdown on the 12th, which is what Trump is suggesting, the CDC is estimating- with no further social distancing- 40-70% of us get the virus. Going with the total low end of that- 40%- is 131 million people. A 1% mortality rate leaves us with 1.3 million deaths. Would be far worse than that in all likelihood because once the hospitals hit max capacity- they are close in some states, already there in some cities- more people are going to die, not just from COVID19 but from other conditions they cant get treatment for. 10 million deaths just in the US is not out of the question if we do this. 

This is a virus that is 10 times deadlier than the flu and far more contagious. The rich people wanting us to go back to work en masse to save their stock market can go fuck themselves right off a cliff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

So far, like 60% of people approve of Trump's handling of Corona. And 40% of Democrats which is much higher than I would have ever guessed. Will be interesting how those numbers change if he tells everyone to go back to work. Also, here in Iowa, our Governor just said that she will make decisions independent of Trump and doesn't really give a fuck what he says (and she's GOP). So... yeah, could be interesting start to April.

There's a lot of GOP breaking with him on it. Lindsey Graham and Liz Cheney for starters. It's very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Oh, undoubtedly. I mean it would be a sheer numbers game. The people going back to work would disproportionately be Trump supporters, I would think, if medical experts are still saying stay home. I really don't think people get how potentially serious this is. If we end the shutdown on the 12th, which is what Trump is suggesting, the CDC is estimating- with no further social distancing- 40-70% of us get the virus. Going with the total low end of that- 40%- is 131 million people. A 1% mortality rate leaves us with 1.3 million deaths. Would be far worse than that in all likelihood because once the hospitals hit max capacity- they are close in some states, already there in some cities- more people are going to die, not just from COVID19 but from other conditions they cant get treatment for. 10 million deaths just in the US is not out of the question if we do this. 

This is a virus that is 10 times deadlier than the flu and far more contagious. The rich people wanting us to go back to work en masse to save their stock market can go fuck themselves right off a cliff. 

Bro, I don't know what fucking bubble you're living in,  but do you realize the danger that small businesses, families, and the average American worker will be in if this quarantine/lockdown extends into another 2 months or more? People are on the verge of losing everything including their future (401k/college savings for children). The way this is going, there will be a huge influx of suicides, looting, home invasions, etc. At least where I live, it is getting dire with people losing their jobs left and right. I work for an essential business (family owned small business), but my boss made it clear that there's possibility that we could get laid off if this lockdown lingers on for a certain amount of time. I'd retain my job when things would return to normal, but many others won't be as fortunate. I don't think you understand the severity of the situation that working Americans and the economy is facing. 
 

But carry on with your "nasty old rich people  just want us to go back to work to save their stupid stock market!!!" rhetoric. 

Edited by DJT20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a deal for a $2 T corona stimulus package. Not many details yet, but it is by and large done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stimulus package is basically the same from what I understand. You still receive the 1200 dollars unless you made over 75k as a single filer. Then it just goes down by the set amount.

Still not sure what tax return their basing this off of. What if someone files "married jointly" but the Spouse isn't working. Do both still receive 1200 dollars or is just 1 payment of 1200 for the person who "worked". Seems like a screwed up way to do it if they go with the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bucman said:

The stimulus package is basically the same from what I understand. You still receive the 1200 dollars unless you made over 75k as a single filer. Then it just goes down by the set amount.

Still not sure what tax return their basing this off of. What if someone files "married jointly" but the Spouse isn't working. Do both still receive 1200 dollars or is just 1 payment of 1200 for the person who "worked". Seems like a screwed up way to do it if they go with the latter.

Should be based on 2018 return. 
 

The original bill I believe was set for taxpayers to receive two $1200 installments, but of course the piece of shit Dems had to nix it so now it's a 1x payment. This isn't free money, this is a measly $1200 that the working man is getting back from their tax dollars. Maybe if the Dems didn't piss away millions of tax dollars on the impeachment hoax, people could have gotten more. Political agendas over the American people is the way of life for the Left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanatos: We need to keep up social distancing or deaths will skyrocket.

DJT: We need to get the economy back or deaths will skyrocket.

Surely there must be middle ground here? Surely the fate of the country doesn't come down to the simple dichotomy of let's go into a depression vs. let the virus kill people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 GOP senators objecting to $600/week extra in unemployment benefits... Bernie sanders says he will hold up the bill until it becomes less anti-worker... 

sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, SteVo said:

Surely there must be middle ground here? Surely the fate of the country doesn't come down to the simple dichotomy of let's go into a depression vs. let the virus kill people?

It's already too late to avoid a massive economic downturn. The time to dodge that was a month or two ago. Having everyone start working on Easter would be a short term gain for an even worse longer term downturn. Not to mention, trump can't actually force stuff to happen. Every single shutdown order so far has been at city/county/state levels. 

Edited by blotsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clueless corrupt sack of garbage of the day. He's losing re-election in the most recent poll to his opponent by 4 points, hopefully that number increased.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DJT20 said:

Bro, I don't know what fucking bubble you're living in,  but do you realize the danger that small businesses, families, and the average American worker will be in if this quarantine/lockdown extends into another 2 months or more? People are on the verge of losing everything including their future (401k/college savings for children). The way this is going, there will be a huge influx of suicides, looting, home invasions, etc. At least where I live, it is getting dire with people losing their jobs left and right. I work for an essential business (family owned small business), but my boss made it clear that there's possibility that we could get laid off if this lockdown lingers on for a certain amount of time. I'd retain my job when things would return to normal, but many others won't be as fortunate. I don't think you understand the severity of the situation that working Americans and the economy is facing. 
 

But carry on with your "nasty old rich people  just want us to go back to work to save their stupid stock market!!!" rhetoric. 

Do you understand the part where I said 1.3 million people, at minimum, will die if we stop social distancing this soon? We fucked up. The way to slow the virus to a halt to allow somewhat safe renewals of the economy was to take severe action- like what we're doing now- back in January. 

You know how you fix the issue of the average American being in danger? You freeze rent and mortgages and give everyone in the country 1k/month. Preferably for good, because that's always been the best solution, but at least until we have a vaccine distributed and life can go back to semi-normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DJT20 said:

Should be based on 2018 return. 
 

The original bill I believe was set for taxpayers to receive two $1200 installments, but of course the piece of shit Dems had to nix it so now it's a 1x payment. This isn't free money, this is a measly $1200 that the working man is getting back from their tax dollars. Maybe if the Dems didn't piss away millions of tax dollars on the impeachment hoax, people could have gotten more. Political agendas over the American people is the way of life for the Left. 

Where are you getting this information from? The Dems nixed the original bill because the GOP had a slush fund for big business and gave way too much to the corporations. Democrats, btw, wanted $1,500 a person for at least the next three months. Republicans refused it because Dems were paying for it by taking money away from the corporate bailouts. The GOP is still not giving people on the lower end of the income scale as much as people up near the $75k range.

6 hours ago, SteVo said:

Thanatos: We need to keep up social distancing or deaths will skyrocket.

DJT: We need to get the economy back or deaths will skyrocket.

Surely there must be middle ground here? Surely the fate of the country doesn't come down to the simple dichotomy of let's go into a depression vs. let the virus kill people?

DJT is in a cult. It's hard to find middle ground with cultists. They don't use reason or logic, they just follow Dear Leader wherever he goes. 

In this case, however, there's a very simple way to prevent a depression and keep practicing social distancing. Pass temporary UBI for the duration of the crisis and stop using the money for corporate bailouts. I'm not saying we need it until the vaccine, but we do need it until hospitals can get on top of things. There is no economy to speak of if hospitals are overrun with patients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

Do you understand the part where I said 1.3 million people, at minimum, will die if we stop social distancing this soon? We fucked up. The way to slow the virus to a halt to allow somewhat safe renewals of the economy was to take severe action- like what we're doing now- back in January. 

You know how you fix the issue of the average American being in danger? You freeze rent and mortgages and give everyone in the country 1k/month. Preferably for good, because that's always been the best solution, but at least until we have a vaccine distributed and life can go back to semi-normal.

Way to play Monday Morning quarterback, dumb fuck. You know what Trump was doing back in January? Restricting entry into the US from China. Guess what... he got called "racist" and "xenophobic" for it. You and the rest of the Liberal sheep weren't giving a fuck about the spread of coronavirus in the US back in January, you were obsessed with Trump getting impeached. 
 

You're such a small minded simpleton, seriously. You realize there's layers to this, right?      You say it as if that'll be a cure-all. Freezing rent/mortgages would obviously lessen the burden, but $1k/month is not close to sustainable for most people/families. Especially living in NJ 25 mins from midtown Manhattan. Businesses and people are struggling in a huge way here. Yes, people are dying, but the majority of cases around here have been elderly and in poor health. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

Where are you getting this information from? The Dems nixed the original bill because the GOP had a slush fund for big business and gave way too much to the corporations. Democrats, btw, wanted $1,500 a person for at least the next three months. Republicans refused it because Dems were paying for it by taking money away from the corporate bailouts. The GOP is still not giving people on the lower end of the income scale as much as people up near the $75k range.

DJT is in a cult. It's hard to find middle ground with cultists. They don't use reason or logic, they just follow Dear Leader wherever he goes. 

In this case, however, there's a very simple way to prevent a depression and keep practicing social distancing. Pass temporary UBI for the duration of the crisis and stop using the money for corporate bailouts. I'm not saying we need it until the vaccine, but we do need it until hospitals can get on top of things. There is no economy to speak of if hospitals are overrun with patients.

The Dems, specifically Xancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, blocked it because they wanted to fit in some green new deal-esque policies and other bullshit into a coronavirus stimulus bill. Clowns.

And I was waiting for Thanatos to pull out the "cultist" line lmfao. You and many others should see a therapist about that Trump derangement syndrome. Sheep.
 

You're too deep in your own bubble to even know that pop-up hospitals are a thing. Four pop-up hospitals are currently being set up in NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DJT20 said:

Way to play Monday Morning quarterback, dumb fuck. You know what Trump was doing back in January? Restricting entry into the US from China. Guess what... he got called "racist" and "xenophobic" for it. You and the rest of the Liberal sheep weren't giving a fuck about the spread of coronavirus in the US back in January, you were obsessed with Trump getting impeached. 
 

You're such a small minded simpleton, seriously. You realize there's layers to this, right?      You say it as if that'll be a cure-all. Freezing rent/mortgages would obviously lessen the burden, but $1k/month is not close to sustainable for most people/families. Especially living in NJ 25 mins from midtown Manhattan. Businesses and people are struggling in a huge way here. Yes, people are dying, but the majority of cases around here have been elderly and in poor health. 

You keep trumpeting the one good thing Trump did- for which I have repeatedly given him credit. For which- even AT THE TIME- I said he was correct on doing- in fact I wanted him to go further. Also Trump's continued claims that he was attacked for that decision by the entire wing of Democrats is false.  Nor did he close the border, as he claims. There were warnings given, but people were not forbidden to travel to China or back from it if they were a US citizen. Two Dems did attack him for it,  but neither were candidates or leaders. This was hardly "everyone is calling him racist" as he keeps saying. Many people on both sides saw this coming. It wasn't hard to see. However, he also downplayed the pandemic, said the media and Dems were using it as a hoax, said we were on top of it, that the numbers were going down, that the stock market was looking good to him, etc, etc, etc. Only around like March 10th did he finally get on board and now that Fox News is telling him to re-open he's considering it. 

If you re-open the economy entirely- unless the situation, for some reason, drastically changes between now and Easter- you will kill millions of people. That is not an option. Trump is talking about packed churches on Easter Sunday. Please tell me you see why that would be a horrible idea.

Edited by Thanatos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Chatbox

    Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
×