Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Your team's top candidate for end of season awards

My personal favorite offseason thread, let us know what names we should be watching for from your favorite team.  I'm going to stick with the standard end of season awards, but feel free to get creative and make some up if you want to highlight certain players that don't fit an established category.

Here are my picks for the Titans:
MVP: Derrick Henry, RB - sure, it's a QB driven league, but the Titans are building the team against conventional wisdom and everyone knows this team runs through the rushing attack.  If we're one of the top teams in the league (which will be necessary for anyone to be in the MVP running) it's gonna be on the back of #22.  After years of teams building faster defenses to keep up with the high-flying aerial attacks I think Henry can do enough to become only the fourth non-QB to win this award.  Others Considered: Ryan Tannehill, QB, AJ Brown, WR

Offensive POTY: AJ Brown, WR - okay, it's actually Henry, but I wanted to highlight another potential star on this offense.  AJ Brown exploded in the second half of his rookie season and made the 2017 #5 overall pick an afterthought in the offense.  He's got great hands and an ability to make plays after the catch that I haven't seen from any other wide receiver in Tennessee.  I don't think we're going to have enough volume in the passing game for him to put up the stats he'd need to actually win this, but he's going to win us a few games along the way. Others considered: Derrick Henry, RB, Ryan Tannehill, QB

Defensive POTY: Jeffery Simmons, DT - Dude was a monster in the second half of the season last year only 8 months removed from an ACL tear.  Nobody really expected much from him last season because of the injury, but in a limited role over 9 games he tallied 32 tackles and 2 sacks from the DT spot.  He's the only reason I'm okay with the fact that we shipped Jurrell Casey (who's one of my favorite Titans of all time) to Denver for a bag of balls.  I think we see him emerge as a game-changing talent and an anchor for this defense.  Others considered: Kevin Byard, FS, Harold Landry, OLB, Adoree' Jackson, CB

Offensive ROTY: Darrynton Evans, RB - not much choice here, our first round pick was a right tackle who might not start out of the gate and the only other offensive player we drafted was a sixth round QB.  Having said that, Evans is a guy who'll provide the change of pace Dion Lewis was supposed to provide but never really did and he adds a dimension in the passing game that we haven't had since Chris Johnson.  Others considered: None

Defensive ROTY: Kristian Fulton, CB - again, there wasn't much competition here, but Fulton slots in immediately as the third corner behind Adoree' Jackson and Malcolm Butler.  Others considered: Larrell Murchison, DT

Comeback POTY: Malcolm Butler, CB - the only players we had that I think would qualify were cut (Cameron Wake and Delanie Walker) so it's Butler almost by default, he broke his wrist mid-season last year and finished the year on IR.  He's a key piece of the defense, if he can get back to the level he played at the end of 2018 he could be in the conversation.  Others considered: Adam Humphries, WR

Pro-Bowlers: Henry, Brown, Simmons - already discussed

Brett Kern - he's been one of the best punters in the league for the last few years

Kevin Byard - he went to the Pro-Bowl in 2017, his second year in the league, and he's only gotten better since, it's time for him to get another trip

Jayon Brown - one of the top coverage linebackers in the league, it's about time he gets some recognition

Taylor Lewan - one of the league's best LTs

Rashaan Evans - emerging as a very good and versatile LB

Edited by oochymp

Ooh, I like this offseason thread too!

:Eagles:

MVP: Carson Wentz. Obviously.

OPOY: Carson Wentz. I guess Zach Ertz is a contender, but do TEs ever win this award? The Eagles spread the ball around too much. Miles Sanders is a long shot but not impossible.

DPOY: Fletcher Cox. All 4 starting defensive linemen are in play, but Cox is best among them and has the best reputation.

OROY: Jalen Reagor. Obviously.

DROY: K'Von Wallace. Injuries would have to force him into the starting lineup, but he has more instant-impact potential than Davion Taylor.

CBPOY: DeSean Jackson. He spent most of last year injured. I don't think he would win even with a big year, but he's our best candidate.

Pro Bowlers: Carson Wentz, Zach Ertz, Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Fletcher Cox. The optimist in me adds Miles Sanders, Brandon Graham, and Jake Elliott.

MVP: Christian McCaffrey. Obvious choice here. I don't think itll happen because I think in order for a RB to win, not only do they have to have a great season but their team has to, at minimum, make the playoffs. Just dont see that from Carolina this year.

OPOY: Christian McCaffrey. Just dont see anyone else realistically contending for this. This award could be more easily won, even if the team isnt that great.

DPOY: Donte Jackson. Jackson really came into his own last year. I think its pretty tough for a CB to win this award, but if Jackson takes a similar step forward, I could see it. Brian Burns and Shaq Thompson are also a possibilities here.

OROY: Carolina literally drafted zero offensive players. We did pick some up in FA, but they were mainly OL. I do like TreVontae Hights, but it'd be insane if he won OROY.

DROY: Yetur Gross-Matos. Derrick Brown is going to the standard pick here for the Panthers, but DTs racking up enough stats to contend for these kinds of awards doesn't happen often, I can really only think of one dude- Aaron Donald. If Brown dominates inside, Gross-Matos could see lanes open up and rack up some sacks. He's a great player in his own right, and having a monster like Brown in the middle can really set him up.

CBPoY: Kawann Short. Injuries robbed him of 2019. If he gets back to his old self with Brown beside him, look out.

Pro Bowlers: Christian McCaffrey, Derrick Brown, Donte Jackson.