Vin

The Walking Dead

Promo for this week (that was leaked last week)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTF7joRS2Ug

That pose and head nod by Rick at :11. So good.

"Hi. I'm Negan." :panic:

From what I know of Negan (disclaimer: never read the comics), Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a perfect fit for a badass antagonist, which is exactly what this show needs.

Edited by SteVo

Well.

That was something.

It sure was. It was the worst season finale of any show I've ever seen.

Pretty sure I'm done with this show. I'll post my extended thoughts later, but I'm done. This show sucks.

• Upvote 1

Did anything actually happen? It was a cool narrative episode IMO but... I hate the openness of the episode.

It was obviously

Abraham

getting pummeled, right?

Did anything actually happen? It was a cool narrative episode IMO but... I hate the openness of the episode.

Precisely. This would have been fine for a penultimate season episode, but this show continues to misunderstand season finales.

I really don't know why, in an era of so many great shows on TV and Netflix, I continue to make time for this show, but this is the end. I don't even care who got spiked.

So many characters have been foreshadowed that it's impossible to guess. Hopefully it's not either

Abraham or Eugene. Or Michonne, but Michonne isn't a real option I don't think. Rick/Carl/Michonne are the only ones safe

So many characters have been foreshadowed that it's impossible to guess. Hopefully it's not either

The only people I think it could be...

Abraham (most likely) or Maggie. Abraham because he seems the most resistant. He's the biggest and strongest, he isn't reacting the same way as everyone else. Maggie because of Glenn's outburst and that it would create the most distress amongst the group. Her death would be felt amongst everyone deeply. Killing a pregnant lady though... don't know if AMC has it in them.

Edited by Favre4Ever

First of all, fuck off, Sparty. You apologized after posting a clear spoiler and being a twat, now you wanna start talking shit again? Do you wanna be a dumb prick or not?

Second, fuck this show. I'll still vehemently defend and tout the comics, but they COMPLETELY FUCKING BOTCHED that episode. This show, like Dexter, is only getting by on subject matter and does not have an idea of pacing or original storytelling.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

The show only has so much longer anyway. Even when the villain is played by someone as good as JDM seems to be, there's only so many times you can recycle the villain of the season storyline in a show like this. We've gone through Shane, Governor, Terminus, Wolves and now Negan. Granted Governor and Negan are on a different level than the rest, the idea is still the same.

Zombies are no longer a threat to the group. Haven't been for a while now. Hell, the group took out hundreds of them in the 2nd half season opener. Even guys like Gabriel and Eugene have become pretty good at killing them.

I don't read the comics so I dunno if Negan is still standing in them or not, but whenever he goes down in the TV show, I imagine that's where they'll end it. If they go on any further than that, they'll just be at the point of beating a dead corpse.

JDM seems like a fantastic actor if this finale was any indication, he's a good villain to go out on. Get a season, maybe two out of him, and end the show. How many groups led by raving lunatics be in the southeast area anyway?

So, let's recap:

The purpose of the first 75 minutes, regarding the primary plot, is simply to establish that the Saviors have great numbers, are well organized, and have Rick's group trapped. Don't need an hour to do that. This episode didn't need to be 90 minutes.

We also get some Morgan/Carol stuff. Very predictable, boring dialogue that revisits things we've heard before. Just a waste of time.

Okay, so Negan is pretty good. Give credit where it's due. JDM's portrayal is more eccentric than I was expecting (I figured Negan for a hard-nosed badass), sort of a TWD version of The Joker. I'm okay with that. HOWEVER...

After five minutes of scaring everyone, the final few minutes just felt like the writers dangling the impending death in front of us like, "Ooh, which one is it? Who are we going to kill this time??? It's...it's....nope! You'll have to wait and see! Muahahahaha!!!"

Fuck you.

I'm quite sure season 7 will have its high moments in the Alexandria vs. Saviors war, but just like Woodbury vs. Prison, the highlights will be contained to two or three good episodes with a bunch of stupid meandering in between, and it will culminate in an anticlimactic season finale.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

I did like what Scott Gimple had to say about the cliffhanger though. He said that there are two different stories here. One is that of Rick's supreme confidence and wanting to take down the saviors in some epic glory. Per Rick earlier in the episode, the group can do anything if they stick together... Per Rick to Carl, the group can take down the Saviors but it should be on their (Rick's) terms. We quickly find out that the group can't do anything and they are merely being played with. They are at the complete mercy of Negan and the Saviors. That fall of grace or confidence by Rick is the end of one story. And the death of a friend and subsequent actions are the beginning of another.

It still sucked, but at least I understand it in the twister reality of the show runners.

Also.. Morgan. Bad ass.

It's obviously a climactic moment, the shifting of one narrative to another, an enormous moment in the series, which is why we should have seen it. That scene should have punched us in the gut and left us with a bad taste in our mouth. Instead we're left wondering "Who died?" like this is a fucking soap opera.

• Upvote 1

Who's willing to bet we won't find out who died for at least 3 episodes into season 7

I liked this episode, until they ruined it at the very end.

Edited by Barracuda

The show only has so much longer anyway. Even when the villain is played by someone as good as JDM seems to be, there's only so many times you can recycle the villain of the season storyline in a show like this. We've gone through Shane, Governor, Terminus, Wolves and now Negan. Granted Governor and Negan are on a different level than the rest, the idea is still the same.

Seems like a weird endgame for the show, after all this time to end on essentially a Breaking Bad "I won" moment, though I guess it could work depending on how they do it.. It'sgoing to be interesting to see what the future holds for the show, because it's somewhat close to catching up to the source material. Kirkman has said that he wants to keep doing the comic for a while, so it would also be weird to essentially say, "To see how the show actually ends, read the comic!".

Zombies are no longer a threat to the group. Haven't been for a while now. Hell, the group took out hundreds of them in the 2nd half season opener. Even guys like Gabriel and Eugene have become pretty good at killing them.

XGxXwLM.gif

It's two years in, for a group that's been on the road for a large portion of that time. Having them get jumped by a random walker or by doing something stupid is cheap. But that's kinda the hole that's been written into. You can increase the strength of the zombies, which is inconsistent, or decrease the ability of the characters, which is also inconsistent.

Who's willing to bet we won't find out who died for at least 3 episodes into season 7

No way they "Glenn" this again. No way.

I get the feeling they haven't even shot it yet, which is probably going to lead to shenanigans. Though with the cliffhanger, you have to have it be a big name, otherwise it's a major disappointment.

EDIT:

So yeah, hasn't been filmed yet. Potential season 7 spoilers at the very bottom of the article, and the top, because I skimmed it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-finale-death-spoilers-880475?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Live%20Feed%20Alerts_2016-04-04%2012:30:00_lgoldberg&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_livefeed

Was it always the plan to feature a cliffhanger?

I think it's the best way to wrap up this story. Honestly, and this is going to sound ridiculous, but I thought it would have been a little cheap to kill a major character in the last few minutes of the show. [Exec producers] Robert Kirkman, Scott Gimple and I have been talking about this and it really is the end of this story. If you look at season six with an overall view, breaking Rick and everyone down — you have our entire group on their knees in front of Negan. The cavalry is not coming over the hill this time; Carol is not going to blow up gas tanks at Terminus; no one is coming to save them and it's the first time we've seen our group like this. I think it's the perfect ending for the season.

What can you say about who is killed off? Does the victim know? Have you filmed it?

We have not filmed it yet and I don't know if the person knows yet or not. Knowing the fact that any death changes our characters and changes our people in a very dramatic way, what's exciting about season seven is how a death — any death — changes people and propels us into a different direction. While we were shooting this episode, I'd never seen the cast more energized and more excited about the future of the show. The fact that the world is our oyster right now is exciting time for The Walking Dead. We're changing the direction of the show and bringing Negan in, it's a great time. Everyone is so excited to get back to work [in May] to get where we're going.

Negan's f-bomb monologue will be included in the Blu-ray. Why not mention just one? FX just did it on People v. O.J.

I would have loved to do that. We do have Standards & Practices that we have to abide by. We shot that last scene over two nights. The first was Rick and his group and the second we covered Jeffrey and we had to shoot two versions of each chunk of that dialogue. We had the f-bomb version and the television version. Even when I did my director's cut, I put the f-bomb into the director's cut for all the executive producers to see because it's so powerful. It's the momentum of using those words to accentuate and punctuate those moments. The scene in the Blu-ray is astounding.

Edited by Vin

I'm going to put the series in a RAR file with a program to read them in case anyone wants to see what TWD should actually be like.

The best moments in the show are when they stick to the source material. When they veer off and try and be original, it's complete shit. This past episode was probably the single greatest moment in the comics and it was destroyed. And not letting Negan utter one "fuck" was just pitiful. They ruined his entire speech. Hell, if anyone just wants to read the Negan intro to compare, I'll give you just that.

And not letting Negan utter one "fuck" was just pitiful.

I was wondering about that. How much leeway does AMC really have there?

Morgan is the only good thing about this show :wah:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry bjorn meant to plus rep that :slingblade:

Sorry bjorn meant to plus rep that :slingblade:

I actually expected to get negged for saying that :lol:

I'd be interested to read that for sure. Is peepee town in the comics ? Lol