Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

Official Workout Thread

RZB, do you really feel that you do so much better with added reps? The body-builder type is a heavier lifter, and I've found success taking on a weight that I can barely do, and squeezing out 6 or 7 reps, even if the last rep is complete shit. The muscle is completely defeated after this, and you can start to feel those hunger pains to kick in earlier.

I took at six month break from the gym. My absence probably wasn't felt on here but I literally did nothing besides, coursework, internship, resume building, and portfolio building. Absolutely sucked, and even though I knew it was coming, it was hard just giving it up like that. I am about 5 sessions in since giving it up, and my bench is back up to 225, but that 285 I was at when I quit was too damn close to 300, I will get there this time.

RZB, do you really feel that you do so much better with added reps? The body-builder type is a heavier lifter, and I've found success taking on a weight that I can barely do, and squeezing out 6 or 7 reps, even if the last rep is complete shit. The muscle is completely defeated after this, and you can start to feel those hunger pains to kick in earlier.

I do what many call the pyramid method. I start high on reps and low on weight then end with low on reps and high on weight. Usually a 12, 10, 8 rep breakdown with increasing weight by 10lb each set. If I'm feeling spunky after that, I'll drop back to the first set's weight and burn out as many as I can to really wear out the muscle (aka a drop set). I also work out alone so there's no spotter. If I fuck up, I'm going to get hurt. With that, there's no way I'll break form just for a few more reps.

• Upvote 1

Public Service Announcement:

WEAR CLOSED-TOED SHOES IN THE GYM!

Witnessed a guy with no shoes on (not even sandals) drop a 45 on his foot tonight. Turned it dark purple immediately and wouldn't be surprised if it fractured some bones. Hopefully he learned something.

Public Service Announcement:

WEAR CLOSED-TOED SHOES IN THE GYM!

Witnessed a guy with no shoes on (not even sandals) drop a 45 on his foot tonight. Turned it dark purple immediately and wouldn't be surprised if it fractured some bones. Hopefully he learned something.

I actually did this years ago, was working out in my garage doing curls with the EZ bar. I couldn't find my clips so i just went for it and a plate slipped off the side and hit my foot. Foot was bruised really badly, broke my middle toe and had to wear a boot for a month.

ps, RZB I have some critiques for your routine that I will post up tomorrow

The gym actually let someone work out without shoes :think:. Was this after hours with no employees there or something? The gyms here are pretty strict on those type of things.

:yeahthat: I've never been around weighted anythings with no shoes. Common knowledge :yep:

ps, RZB I have some critiques for your routine that I will post up tomorrow

I'm all for it man. Also, what can I substitute in place for deadlifts. I hate them.

The gym actually let someone work out without shoes :think:. Was this after hours with no employees there or something? The gyms here are pretty strict on those type of things.

Bingo. This gym isn't strict but they hold to their few rules; being clothed is one of them.

Started up a running regiment, I have no idea what sorts of things I should go for other than I'm working on my stamina. I'm not sure what my top speed is, but I can maintain for about 3 miles just under a 9 minute mile pace. I know I want to try getting that up to 7 minutes a mile or faster.

I had a rough period (college graduation) to deal with from Christmas - June 10, and I didn't lift, didn't eat healthy, or any of that stuff during then. Also got pretty broke. Feels so good to be revived. Even though I've already accomplished the amount of progress I've made, progress always feels sweet nonetheless :rock:

I've been piling on the protein, BBQ salmon in the backyard, noexplode, 1/2 gallon of milk per day, and egg salads. Feelin great. Deadlifting 285, bench pressing I think 245 is what I did last. Small steps, but I've become waaaaay more energetic and ambitious in all other facets of life. My heart felt like shit before I rebounded.

• Upvote 2

Switched up my routine a little. Added a day dedicated to legs just so I'll take the time to actually work them. I fit in core/abs into every day as well so I don't fall behind on that. It's only been a week and I can kind of tell my body is confused on the changes. Thought I'd share in case anyone else though about switching to Push/Pull/Legs.

All are 3 sets of 8-12 unless noted otherwise.

-- PUSH

Incline Barbell Press

Decline Push-ups: 2 sets of 15

Cable Crossovers

Seated Dumbbell Press

Tricep Dips

Cable Overhead Extensions

Rear Delt Flyes

Ball Crunches: 2 sets of 25

Leg Raises: 6 sets of 10sec intervals

-- PULL

Deadlift (nothing can replace the benefits of the deadlift, try a different variation such as a trap bar deadlift or using DB's positioned outside your feet instead of in front of you.) Additionally, deadlift is a power or strength exercise, keep your rep range in 2-6 depending on which goal you are going for.

Reverse Grip Bent-over Rows

Wide-grip Pulldowns

Straight-arm Pulldowns

Seated Cable Rows

Dumbbell Alternating Bicep Curls

Preacher Curls

Floor Bridges: 2 sets of 15

Russian Twists: 2 sets of 25

Bicycle Kicks: 2 sets of 30sec intervals

-- LEGS

Barbell Squat (if you're going to squat, go with the barbell over DB's)

Freehand Jump Squats: 2 sets of 15 (go with 6 sets of 5, power exercises shouldn't go above 5 reps)

Romanian Deadlift

Leg Press

Leg Extensions

Seated Leg Curl

Standing Leg Raises: 3 sets of 12-15

Seated Leg Raises: 3 sets of 12-15

Planks: 2 1min holds

Side Planks: 4 30sec holds

Also purchased Controlled Labs Orange Triad (much to Sarge's approval) along with C4 pre-workout today. Found a shop on the outskirt of town that sells everything for 10% less than anyone else so GNC can go fuck itself with a gold membership dildo.

I just made a few changes, there are a lot more suggestions I could make but they center more around exercise selection preference rather than any serious program disagreements.

I appreciate the help, man. I'll give you an update on how it works for me soon.

I run, jog, or power walk on most days I feel up to it. Sometimes just one speed and sometimes a mix of different speeds or inclines. Not just good for the body but clears the mind too. I do crunches, planks and lift some light weights a few times a week too. Some stretching too.

I was a ballet dancer growing up and did figure skating in my teens so I try to keep my endurance and flexibility going still.

I do it all on my own and have a treadmill at home and a few weights. Sometimes when it's nice weather I go outdoors. I really do not like the gym.

That's about it!

Edited by Jules

Just sort of started a little something. Looking to lose 30-50 lbs by the time I am done with my co-op in December.

I lowered my calorie intake, and am aiming for 1200-1500, I'm also trying my best to track these.

No more pop. Only water, and a little bit of juice like after workouts, etc. Going with V8 Berry Splash or something of the sort.

Trying to jog and do other cardio stuff most days for at least a half an hour. I am aiming to be doing something 4-6 days a week, maybe 7 if my schedule and my body feel up to it.

A little bit of weight training here and there, maybe like 2-3 times a week, but not overly hard stuff.

I also am cutting out a lot of fast food, and a lot of alcohol on the weekends because I am so far away from home and not in the college atmosphere.

Anything else that I should/could do to help me achieve my goal would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: My goal is to lose this beer belly. So I am aiming for losing fat, not necessarily building a lot of muscle or anything, though I know that they can go hand-in-hand a little.

Edited by CribbsForTheWin

Edited by BC

I appreciate the help, man. I'll give you an update on how it works for me soon.

I was just starting to get to where I wanted to be and broke my hand playing goalie (soccer, not hockey) in December. I'm finally back in the gym and it feels great. I may get back on my Push/Pull routine but a few friends are trying to get me to join them in a hybrid Crossfit - Strength Training thing. It's at http://crossfitfootball.com

Not really sure how I feel about it. Anyone done this type of routine and noticed positive results?

So, I've been going to the gym consistently the past few weeks and I've gotten into a good routine with my roommate and am already seeing some results. I'm a lanky guy (6'1, 180) so I think I can build some muscle and get in pretty good shape relatively quickly if I continue working out as consistently as I am.

Anyone got any tips for a lanky guy like me to get in good shape and build muscle quick? I just purchased some pre work out (Volt) and protein (can't remember the name of it of the top of my head). Anyone got recommendations for good pre work out and protein for future reference?

Starting to workout Tuesday with a friend :devious:

• Upvote 1

Been working out for the past 2 months or so and am starting to see some good results. So happy I finally got dedicated to getting into good shape.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So quick question, I used to be a gym rat and have started to look into body weight exercise because I want to lean out as much as possible. I have always been a naturally muscular dude.

183500_10150152242619744_808638_n.jpg

284286_10150262893572689_1712267_n.jpg

15839_1157357255725_7087581_n.jpg

24700_113220925356490_3033761_n.jpg

I am trying to keep my strength and overall size, but I want to lean out as much as humanly possible so that way I can get myself into better habits. Right now I live and die by activity. I probably burn close to 8,000 calories a day give or take 1,000 or so. I understand that my metabolism will start to fail me at some point and considering I am a bigger dude, I really want to save my knees later on. Which there in lies the problem. I love running I try to get about 10 miles in per day at about a 8 minute per mile or lower pace.

My workout as it is now is

8-10 mile run.

250 regular push ups

125 wide arm

75 diamond

3X20 pullups, chinups

100 dips

250 squats

30 minutes of hitting the bag

100 Crunches

100 prone rolls

75 Oblique situps each side

50 extended leg crunches

and 5 minutes of the bicycle

stretching, and then cool down

All the bolded I do in a circuit of 3

Now I dont watch what I eat as much as I should. I just try to eat sensible like no fast food except for once a week or so and sticking to chicken if possible unless that bacon, mushroom, and swiss gets to tempting.

Now for the shitty part is my drinking. I drink like a fish, after years of it though I dont get drunnk anymore a 30 pack in about 3 or 4 hours puts me where I should be unless it is a special occasion and then I drink Jack. I also smoke Marlboro Red 100's. I know those are shitty and bad for cardio and weight loss so I have really curbed my drinking the past few weeks to about 1 or 2 beers a day every other day. and I dont smoke all that much anymore.

What I am looking for is excercises that use body weight, and some kick ass cardio. Also dieting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Oh and any advice on how to get rid of the TRex arms would be appreciated. My entire life I have had a big upper body and the arms of a fucking 8 year old girl.

So quick question, I used to be a gym rat and have started to look into body weight exercise because I want to lean out as much as possible. I have always been a naturally muscular dude.

183500_10150152242619744_808638_n.jpg

284286_10150262893572689_1712267_n.jpg

15839_1157357255725_7087581_n.jpg

24700_113220925356490_3033761_n.jpg

I am trying to keep my strength and overall size, but I want to lean out as much as humanly possible so that way I can get myself into better habits. Right now I live and die by activity. I probably burn close to 8,000 calories a day give or take 1,000 or so. I understand that my metabolism will start to fail me at some point and considering I am a bigger dude, I really want to save my knees later on. Which there in lies the problem. I love running I try to get about 10 miles in per day at about a 8 minute per mile or lower pace.

My workout as it is now is

8-10 mile run.

250 regular push ups

125 wide arm

75 diamond

3X20 pullups, chinups

100 dips

250 squats

30 minutes of hitting the bag

100 Crunches

100 prone rolls

75 Oblique situps each side

50 extended leg crunches

and 5 minutes of the bicycle

stretching, and then cool down

All the bolded I do in a circuit of 3

Now I dont watch what I eat as much as I should. I just try to eat sensible like no fast food except for once a week or so and sticking to chicken if possible unless that bacon, mushroom, and swiss gets to tempting.

Now for the shitty part is my drinking. I drink like a fish, after years of it though I dont get drunnk anymore a 30 pack in about 3 or 4 hours puts me where I should be unless it is a special occasion and then I drink Jack. I also smoke Marlboro Red 100's. I know those are shitty and bad for cardio and weight loss so I have really curbed my drinking the past few weeks to about 1 or 2 beers a day every other day. and I dont smoke all that much anymore.

What I am looking for is excercises that use body weight, and some kick ass cardio. Also dieting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Slimming down while also retaining muscle size and strength is possible but requires dedication to a plan and a strict diet. People often think that while they are attempting to slim down, tone up, get cut etc, they need to move away from lifting heavy weights and move on to lower weights and higher repetitions. In the end this will just kill your strength. Strength, or the amount of force we are able to place upon a body of mass is directly related to the size of the muscle but also the ability for that particular muscle to fire the full spectrum of muscle fibers. This is a neuromuscular adaptation (think communication between brain and muscle) and it is a big reason why beginners to weight lifting struggle greatly with strength at the onset of training but rapidly improve as those mind-muscle connections are made.

My point is that in order to slim down you don't need to abandon heavy training, you simply need to alter it and focus primarily on your diet. You did say however that you are concerned with saving your knees so I would suggest focusing on compound exercises (those that incorporate multi joints) i.e squat, bench press, deadlfit, etc and stick with weight that is challenging but manageable.

For body weight routines, your current one is certainly adequate, it has an immense amount of volume but if it is something that you have been able to adapt to and find success with then by all means continue on. One thing that I would like to address is the amount of upper body exercises versus lower body. Body weights squats are excellent but it is a knee dominant or quad dominant exercise and you are neglecting your hamstrings and to some extent your butt.

Here are a few suggestions for you that are body weight lower body exercises. BW = body weight

BW Single Leg Romanian dead lift or RDL

BW Walking lunges which can also be done stationary or in reverse (stepping backward as opposed to forward)

BW StepUps ( on a step or bench step up one leg at a time using the leg on the bench to drive yourself upward, lower yourself slowly to the ground and avoid using the bottom foot to propel yourself upward) Can also be done in a lateral fashion

BW Split Squats

BW Bulgarian Split Squat (rear foot is elevated on a chair, bench, bed, step etc) This will put more focus on the gluteus and hammies

BW Hamstring bridge, can also be done single leg or with feet on a bench or step for added range of motion

BW Glute bridge, (place upper back on a bench, bed, chair and have feet flat on the floor, drop your hips down just above the floor then proceed to extend them upwards driving off your heels, not your toes)

Super Bird Dog ( assume praying position and place elbows on the ground, tuck toes underneath shins, keep spine flat, keeping your toes pulled toward your shin, extend leg straight back contracting your butt, from this position, keep butt contracted and slowly drop then raise your leg. This exercise is great for gluteal recruitment.

Try to incorporate some of those ones into the current routine you currently have a the moment.

Cardio, stick to running if its something you absolutely love. Add in alternatives forms of cardio and general conditioning such as types of body weight exercises. Examples include jump rope, jumping jacks (there are a ton of different variations), mountain climbers (also lots of variations), battle ropes, sled pulls and sled pushes, board pushes, plate pushes, tire flips, sledge hammers. Some of these require equipment but with any type of push on the ground, just find something heavy and push it around.

For diet, try to follow these simple guidelines for fat loss

1. attempt to lose no more than .5kg of body weight per week (to find Kg divide bw in pounds by 2.2)

2. target a deficit of no more than 250-500 calories per day

3. fat consumption should be 20-25% of total calorie intake (limit saturated and trans fats)

4. make sure that you consume AT Least 5g per kg per day of carbohydrates

5. increase protein consumption to 1.5-1.7 g per kg per day (helps prevent muscle breakdown and increases the feeling of being full

6. Increase fiber consumption, whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains

7. Reduce portion sizes, refined sugars

I hope that helps, I have a lot more suggestions but I was already making what was supposed to be a short post into long one. I figure many of the members might have similar questions and I like to be thorough.

• Upvote 2

Oh and any advice on how to get rid of the TRex arms would be appreciated. My entire life I have had a big upper body and the arms of a fucking 8 year old girl.

Not much you can do there I'm afraid, I have short arms for my height as well, always have to roll up sleeves a bit.

The alcohol will kill your progress. No matter whether you're adding muscle or burning fat. I mean you'll have burned the calories that you burned, but your body won't be getting the metabolism momentum that others who work out and don't drink get. Your body won't be breaking down the carbs and protein you need. Your system turns into a calorie burning machine when your metabolism gets all dialed in from the repetitive cardio and resistance training. This doesn't happen with a regular drinking routine however, I'm afraid.

It won't kill it, doofus. But it certainly won't help it.