Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

Official Workout Thread

AB Wheel:

AbWheel.jpg

Sweet, where can I get one of those? Walmart or Target or something?

I'll take it that you're talking about your bench max?

If so, yes you are, but I am sure you knew that :D

Most likely I would guess you're not training in the proper rep range, if you don't train for strength, you're not going to seem much improvement in strength gains. Lower reps to 4-6 and you will see your gains go up as long as you are eating enough(of course you are) and being consistent with your workouts.

If you are already doing everything above, I suggest taking a break from flat bench and working on incline and even moreso weighted chest dips, both exercises will help get your strength up for bench press.

lol, I was actually refering to my actual weight. I've been trying to reach 245, but I'm stuck at 225, I was even at 235 2 weeks ago, now i'm back at 225...

Sweet, where can I get one of those? Walmart or Target or something?

Yep, I think Academy has them too, they're cheap and painful.

Yep, I think Academy has them too, they're cheap and painful.

Sounds like exactly what I need, shall look into it.

lol, I was actually refering to my actual weight. I've been trying to reach 245, but I'm stuck at 225, I was even at 235 2 weeks ago, now i'm back at 225...

Haha shit, should have figured that

Simple answer there, EAT, and do a lot of it. Only way to gain weight is to consume more calories than you burn. Whether that weight comes from fat or muscle is up to you and your approach to it.

server fucked up and I double posted

Jets, go to this site

http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com/bodyweight/core_exercises.html

Sort of a lame website name but it illustrates every possible ab exercise you could do with just your bodyweight.

A few of my favorite core exercises that don't require weight or equipment are reverse crunches, hanging leg raises, and various types of planks.

Edited by Socal

You don't need an "Ab Wheel" or any other horse shit piece of equipment that promises to give you better abs....you just need to watch your diet, have good genetics and just do exercises that don't require you to spend a single dollar....

Edited by BLUE
  • Upvote 1

Guest Durant4MVP

You don't need an "Ab Wheel" or any other horse shit piece of equipment to get abs....you just need to watch your diet, have good genetics and just do exercises that don't require you to spend a single dollar....

Mostly true. Bigger abs can definitely help definition but you're going to have a hard time growing them doing shit like crunches and "ab wheels." I noticed a dramatic increase in ab size/definition when I started doing free weights - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, etc. They all require and/or help build a strong core.

Ab definition is going to come from a decrease in body fat, but just like any other part of your body you can increase the definition by increasing the size of the muscle.

As far as hypertrophy goes, treat it like any other body part and train it with weights, the size will increase

True, the Ab wheel alone won't directly make you lose fat around the mid section, but it does make your abs stronger.

Lifting Monday-Friday again for Football, want to take some creatine or some kind of supplement, what do you guys recommend?

Lifting Monday-Friday again for Football, want to take some creatine or some kind of supplement, what do you guys recommend?

It depends on your goals, but creatine, a good multi-vitamin, BCAA's (branched chain amino acids) and a protein supplement if you need it is a good basic stack. No supplements are necessary but you can't go wrong with those three. Many protein powder supplements contain BCAA's and some also contain creatine.

Anything beyond that depends on personal preference but really just ends up being a waste of money.

Guest Durant4MVP

Supplements just supplement (get it?) your diet and exercise. Better recovery, faster growth, things of that nature. They're not going to make you leap over the highest buildings or run at the speed of light.

WardPound, if you are serious about getting some helpful ingredients, go onto bodybuilding.com and consider getting HyperShock. Take it from somebody who has successfully gone from a scrawny nobody to a pretty thick, muscular guy in the past. Hypershock contains tons of caffeine, amino acids, creatine, and other ingredients which not only help a ton with absorbing minerals and proteins into your muscles, but they drive your energy levels and motivation through the roof. I learned about it at the gym about 3 years ago, when I watched a few of my buddies just get jacked out of their minds. I saw my biggest gains the last few Summers when using HyperShock. It is nearly identical to the widely known NoExplode, if you've heard that mentioned. These supplements don't do it on their own of course. It takes an hour and a half of working only two different muscle groups in a workout, asbolutely ripping the shit out of the muscle tissues (basically going all out, harder than your mind will allow yourself to believe you can, short breaks between sets, and just being a general maniac/freak in the gym), four protein shakes evenly spread out throughout the day, eat an amount of protein grams in a day which exceeds the amount your weigh in pounds, drink tons of water (shoot for a gallon), and mix in raw veggies twice a day. It's hard to get that significant physical change that you are after without keeping all of these things in the equation. Without the excessive protein, your muscle has nothing to build with. Without water, you're dehydrated and can't process the food (an remember, we are all 97% water). HyperShock is not a necessary thing, but it does maximize every workout so you will see results faster, and peak quite a bit above your natural potential. Also, you have to keep yourself on a good schedule. A couple hours without food and especially protein, water, and carbs, will halt your body's ability to build muscle, and it can just stop. It's best to plan to make time to take a break in every daily activity to eat. If you've got a four hour drive for example, pack a protein shake, a jug of water, and a couple of egg sandwiches for the road. Try to bring whatever they'll allow in class. At work, make sure there's something in a cooler or in the break room refrigerator so you arn't left a few hours without food.

In doing all of this, you are setting yourself up to become a physical beast to be reckoned with. I had a lifetime of problems go on for me winter and spring quarter of school. Then when Summer started and I tried to get back into it, I caught Mono, and was unable to eat. I lost tons of weight. I'm down to 155, which is pathetic, but I've actually got a full load of hypershock and protein shake mixes waiting on the counter. I'm just now starting to get back into the swing of things, and I'm going to be lifting like a madman for a couple of months here, and get back to where I prefer to be.

BC is on the fast track to his bachelors degree in BroScience, next stop, a PhD in Brotology

:rolleyes:

WardPound, if you are serious about getting some helpful ingredients, go onto bodybuilding.com and consider getting HyperShock. Take it from somebody who has successfully gone from a scrawny nobody to a pretty thick, muscular guy in the past. Hypershock contains tons of caffeine, amino acids, creatine, and other ingredients which not only help a ton with absorbing minerals and proteins into your muscles, but they drive your energy levels and motivation through the roof. I learned about it at the gym about 3 years ago, when I watched a few of my buddies just get jacked out of their minds. I saw my biggest gains the last few Summers when using HyperShock. It is nearly identical to the widely known NoExplode, if you've heard that mentioned.

First of all, you sound like a supplement rep for Myogenix(the company that produces HyperShock). It is not nearly identical to NOExplode, a much more respected and popular product, from a much more popular and respected company(BSN). To make things clear, HyperShock is a PRE workout supplement, its main intent is to act as a vasodilator via the use of nitric oxide, basically this gets you the 'pump' you're looking for. It also contains a 3.5 gram proprietary blend of creatine variations, a proprietary blend of amino acids and a proprietary blend of various energy increasing compounds, including caffeine. Bottomline, pre workout supplements are a waste of money, if you dont have the energy or motivation to bust your ass in the gym, you should be asking yourself why, not consuming a quick fix.

These supplements don't do it on their own of course. It takes an hour and a half of working only two different muscle groups in a workout, asbolutely ripping the shit out of the muscle tissues (basically going all out, harder than your mind will allow yourself to believe you can, short breaks between sets, and just being a general maniac/freak in the gym), four protein shakes evenly spread out throughout the day, eat an amount of protein grams in a day which exceeds the amount your weigh in pounds, drink tons of water (shoot for a gallon), and mix in raw veggies twice a day.

There is no set time of working out or set amount of muscle groups you are allowed to workout, it's possible to find many variations to see results. Putting the effort in the gym is important, but working to failure is not required either, breaking down the muscle is key, but sets to failure is not the only way to achieve this. Breaks between your sets and exercises depends on your own physical fitness, as well as your goals. There is no need to be consuming 4 protien shakes a day, considering most protein shakes contain 20-30 grams or protein, one would easily be consuming more than half of their protein needs from a supplement. Supplements are to add to your diet, not replace the other sources. Protein intake should be be 1 gram per every lb of lean body mass, your total weight minus the weight of your fat. Water consumption should be increased gradually, going from a few glasses a day to one gallon will have one in the bathroom nonstop. Veggies, eat them, high in fiber, low in calories, very filling, that is all.

It's hard to get that significant physical change that you are after without keeping all of these things in the equation. Without the excessive protein, your muscle has nothing to build with.

No excessive protein is needed, just what is adequate, excessive protein will not hurt and is standard for someone that consumes a lot of meat in their diet but there is no reason to supplement 100 g of protein a day.

Without water, you're dehydrated and can't process the food (an remember, we are all 97% water).

No, the human body is roughly 50-65% water, adult men are on the higher end, infants are higher at around 70 and people that are very obese can be as low as 45%.

HyperShock is not a necessary thing, but it does maximize every workout so you will see results faster, and peak quite a bit above your natural potential. Also, you have to keep yourself on a good schedule. A couple hours without food and especially protein, water, and carbs, will halt your body's ability to build muscle, and it can just stop. It's best to plan to make time to take a break in every daily activity to eat. If you've got a four hour drive for example, pack a protein shake, a jug of water, and a couple of egg sandwiches for the road. Try to bring whatever they'll allow in class. At work, make sure there's something in a cooler or in the break room refrigerator so you arn't left a few hours without food.

Meal frequency i.e consuming food every 2 hours, nutrient timing i.e. consuming protein right after a workout is IRRELEVANT. Your body doesn't start to catabolize its muscle tissue if it hasn't received protein or any nutrient after 2 hours. Additionally, the myth that not eating for a certain amount of time, induces muscle catabolism, doesn't take into account the fact that a standard meal is still digesting 5 hours after consumption. Whey protein, the fastest absorbing protein absorbs at 10g per hour, proteins from whole foods are roughly 3-6g per hour. So forget packing up a bunch of shitty on the go meals and eat when you have the time. What you eat is much more important than when you eat.

In doing all of this, you are setting yourself up to become a physical beast to be reckoned with. I had a lifetime of problems go on for me winter and spring quarter of school. Then when Summer started and I tried to get back into it, I caught Mono, and was unable to eat. I lost tons of weight. I'm down to 155, which is pathetic, but I've actually got a full load of hypershock and protein shake mixes waiting on the counter. I'm just now starting to get back into the swing of things, and I'm going to be lifting like a madman for a couple of months here, and get back to where I prefer to be.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, BC, but exercise and nutrition advice should come from those who are certified and licensed to do so. Being in my position, it's frustrating when false information is passed on. There is nothing wrong with trying to be helpful, but you have to know your limitations. I have stated several times in this thread that I am not a registered dietician, I will not supply diets, only make recommendations. I feel comfortable making these recommendations because I have connections with the people who are qualified, I have done the research and I know whats true and false. I am not the authority of this thread, everyone is welcome to offer advice and experiences, but I will debate anything I believe is misinformation. Good luck with your fitness goals.

Edited by Socal
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

For anyone that is interested in a lot of the science behind sports nutrition and fitness, I suggest taking a look at these sites below. These guys don't bullshit, they are obsesses with presenting the unbiased and factual answers that many people look for in regards to fitness and nutrition, they don't fuck around and the information they offer isn't to get you to buy something from them.

Alan Aragon

Martin Berkhan

Lyle McDonald