oochymp

The Country Thread

great song and a very good video, but to be honest I was a little disappointed with the ending

Josh Abbott Band- Touch

Great song; it reminds me of the video for Whiskey Lullaby.

Every Youtube video of the recorded version of this next song is sped up for some reason. It's annoying. Here's a decent live video, but it doesn't sound extremely great. Anyway, here's my favorite song off of the newest Eli Young Band album.

Great song; it reminds me of the video for Whiskey Lullaby.

Every Youtube video of the recorded version of this next song is sped up for some reason. It's annoying. Here's a decent live video, but it doesn't sound extremely great. Anyway, here's my favorite song off of the newest Eli Young Band album.

Eli Young Band--War on a Desperate Man

I'm a huge Eli Young Band fan (I'm actually listening to them right now) and that's a great song

here's a recent one from an artist I'm not usually a big fan of, but this song is pretty awesome, also he was just invited to join the Grand Ole Opry, so I think some respect is due

Keith Urban--For You

I'm a huge Eli Young Band fan (I'm actually listening to them right now) and that's a great song

here's a recent one from an artist I'm not usually a big fan of, but this song is pretty awesome, also he was just invited to join the Grand Ole Opry, so I think some respect is due

Keith Urban--For You

Agreed. This is a great song, but Keith has gone to shit lately. Aside from this, his last good song was Sweet Thing (and even that song was headed in the wrong direction for him). He's dropped the whole guitar driven thing, no more extended endings to songs. It sucks. He's not a great singer, so he should go back to his old formula.

Here's some interesting alt-country.

Agreed. This is a great song, but Keith has gone to shit lately. Aside from this, his last good song was Sweet Thing (and even that song was headed in the wrong direction for him). He's dropped the whole guitar driven thing, no more extended endings to songs. It sucks. He's not a great singer, so he should go back to his old formula.

Here's some interesting alt-country.

pretty good sound, and I'll just leave my commentary there for the sake of keeping this thread friendly

Here's one of my favorites, this one came out right as I was getting into country music:

Craig Morgan--That's What I Love About Sunday

pretty good sound, and I'll just leave my commentary there for the sake of keeping this thread friendly

Here's one of my favorites, this one came out right as I was getting into country music:

Craig Morgan--That's What I Love About Sunday

Great song about all the fun and typical things in life on sundays. Haven't found a Craig Morgan song I haven't liked yet.

Sorry if this is a double post, but I was too lazy to go through all threads. I met this guy in one of my local bars. Pretty nice guy

Dierks Bentley - What was I thinking?

Great song about all the fun and typical things in life on sundays. Haven't found a Craig Morgan song I haven't liked yet.

Sorry if this is a double post, but I was too lazy to go through all threads. I met this guy in one of my local bars. Pretty nice guy

Dierks Bentley - What was I thinking?

one of Dierks' classics, I don't see how anyone could not like that song, if you've never shared the sentiment you haven't lived

here's a new duet from Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw: Feel Like a Rockstar

one of Dierks' classics, I don't see how anyone could not like that song, if you've never shared the sentiment you haven't lived

here's a new duet from Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw: Feel Like a Rockstar

This is OK. I don't turn the radio off when it comes on and it's certainly better than any of the shit by Carrie Underwood or Lady Antabellum (Lady A has gone so far downhill! Their first album was so good.) I enjoy McGraw's part, especially since he's so much more of a country artist than Chesney.

Here's a pre-show VIP vid from an Eric Church concert. I just want to highlight the most overlooked part of his music--his singing. Not only is this guy the best songwriter on the radio, I think it can be argued that he's the best singer. He's got range, has more stylistic ability than 3/4 of artists out there, and just listen to him sing into a standard microphone with an acoustic guitar in hand.

• Upvote 2

I stumbled across this song today and.../holyfuckwow.

Guns and Guitars by Matt Mason

+1 on the Eric Church. I saw Toby Keith and Eric last summer in Holmdel, NJ. Church was better than Keith and I definitely plan on going to his Blood, Sweat, and Beers tour this summer. As BWare stated, the guy writes all his own stuff and is pretty damn good at it. He knows how to put on a performance, too.

Springsteen is my current favorite.

so...damn....catchy

that is a good one, Lee Brice is awesome and his new CD did not disappoint at all

new song from Big & Rich, I'm glad to see they're back together, IMO the stuff they made together is better than anything either of them made on their own (though Shutting Detroit Down did have an awesome video)

that is a good one, Lee Brice is awesome and his new CD did not disappoint at all

new song from Big & Rich, I'm glad to see they're back together, IMO the stuff they made together is better than anything either of them made on their own (though Shutting Detroit Down did have an awesome video)

Big & Rich- That's Why I Pray

This is a very good song. John Rich held his own, but Big Kenny as a solo artist was god awful. His voice just isn't in the same stratosphere as Rich's. He needs John Rich.

I'm mesmerized by the quality of this next song. This might be the best first single since Blake Shelton's "Austin." And this might not even be Dustin Lynch's best song. He's got a great tune called "Hurricane" that I clicked on Youtube expecting it to be a cover.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Bump. With the current state of modern pop country coming out of Nashville in steaming piles, I feel like we could use this thread to point out that there's still good country out there.

that sounds good, I listen to some Texas Country (Josh Abbott Band is awesome) but I don't generally go out of my way to find it (which really means I don't find much) I sometimes get frustrated with how dismissive some of them get regarding main stream country, certainly there's some stuff coming out now that's just awful, but there's still a lot of good stuff coming out of Nashville, Joe NIchols' new cd is by far his best, the first (and only I think) single off of it is great:

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

What I love about Joe's new album, Crickets, is that it blends newer trends in instead of selling out, completely. He does have a second single out. "Yeah." Not the greatest song on the album, but it's catchy.

I also think this guy deserves some credit for maintaining a somewhat traditional sound:

However, the current state of established artists like Tim McGraw, Blake Shelton, and Luke Bryan is completely atrocious, and I've lost any and all respect I ever had for those three artists. Then we've got these new losers like Cole Swindell...fuck 'em. Their sound has to go.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

I've been a huge fan of Craig Campbell since his first single (Family Man)

while I'm on recent cds, David Nail's new one is pretty good too, the first single from it is good, but some of the other songs on there are absolutely amazing:

I saw him in concert a few weeks ago with Eli Young Band and Darius Rucker, that was a hell of a show

I bought I'm a Fire recently. Love every track except for the one with Little Big Town.

Here's a great alt-country artist that everyone needs to hear:

I could read this whole thread but I'm lazy.

Songs I'm listening to:

5150 - Dierks Bentley

I met the guy once. Great party song.

The South - The Cadillac Three

Found them recently and fell in love with their sound.

Small Town and Big Dreams - Paul Brandt

Comes from Calgary so I've always had a soft spot for him.

Edited by SJConrad

I really respect the way Dierks Bentley goes about his career. He'll release party songs (that don't suck, mind you--it's always surprising) simply so he can keep recording songs like "Trying to Stop Your Leaving," "Every Mile a Memory," and "Settle for a Slowdown." The guy really gets serious music, but he understands the business enough to know that he has to get some radio play in order to maintain his freedom and his audience.

Here's Easton Corbin's newest single. I really hope it's not the direction he's taking his sound. He really had a traditional sound to his music.

I don't think that sounds that bad, but he's definitely capable of better, hopefully that's the low end of his next cd because he has a great voice (honestly he reminds me a bit of George Strait) and some absolutely amazing songs (I Can't Love You Back definitely comes to mind)

anyway, in the realm of recent stuff that doesn't suck:

also, Darius Rucker's new single Miss You (I couldn't find anything on youtube but awful quality concert footage) is easily my favorite of his since he started with country and is still up there if you include his Hootie days

Dust is an awesome song. The new EYB album is definitely a step up from their last one, which wasn't all that great.

Every now and then I buy an album that I instantly regret, and a recent example of that is Tyler Farr's Redneck Crazy. I thought perhaps his similarities to Vince Gill might have led to better song selections, but overall the album...sucks.

Fortunately, there is one great song on the album, this one:

I actually generally enjoy the Tyler Farr album, it's not amazing, and there are definitely a couple songs I could do without, but overall I wasn't really disappointed, but maybe I just had lower expectations

another great recent album is Tracy Lawrence's, his newest single might be my favorite song on the album:

• Upvote 1

I hadn't had a chance to listen to the album yet, and I didn't know he'd released a single. I hope that one makes it to country radio.

Speaking of great songs with "Lie" in the title, here's a Daryl Singletary classic that I've always loved.