Sign in to follow this  
BigBen07

The Worst Commissioner in Sports

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Worst Commissioner in North American Pro Sports?

• Bud Selig- Major League Baseball
    • David Stern- National Basketball Association
    • Roger Goodell- National Football League
    • Gary Bettman- National Hockey League
    • Any or all of the above.

I picked the last choice because I have a beef with two of them:

Stern is just a plain dick, while Bettman gets a nod because he ruined an NHL season.

Bettman may have ruined an NHL season but look as how the new NHL is going now. It is gradually gaining more support and the Hockey now is so much more exciting and interesting to watch than it was before hand.

I voted Stern as he does not have a fucking clue what he is doing and and can single handedly ruin the NBA

David Stern oozes evil and douchery. He just looks like a dishonest son of a bitch. He is in a position of power, and he makes sure everyone around him knows it. He is a condescending sack of shit.

alg_stern.jpg

It was a difficult choice between Bettman and Selig, but I went with selig because while both had problems with the unions, leading to a lost season, Selig's absolute failure to face the steroid problem is going to be a permanent taint on the sport long past what Bettman has done. I'm giving Goodell the benefit of the doubt because the NFL hasn't lost its season yet.

As for David Stern, you people are crazy. He's not only the best of the 4, but one of the best commissioners ever in any sport. He might be a jerk, but he took the NBA from a rapidly declining league to the worldwide success it is today.

Bettman. He refuses to acknowledge the fact that expansion was a TERRIBLE idea and of course they had the lost season but I don't even blame him that much for that.

I went with Goodell. Since running the league I've only seen dumb changes, gay rules and ridicolous fines. Sure, some of these weren't directly his fault but th fact he is running the show puts my blame on him.

It was a difficult choice between Bettman and Selig, but I went with selig because while both had problems with the unions, leading to a lost season, Selig's absolute failure to face the steroid problem is going to be a permanent taint on the sport long past what Bettman has done. I'm giving Goodell the benefit of the doubt because the NFL hasn't lost its season yet.

As for David Stern, you people are crazy. He's not only the best of the 4, but one of the best commissioners ever in any sport. He might be a jerk, but he took the NBA from a rapidly declining league to the worldwide success it is today.

We voted for him because he's a puppet master who (and we all know this) tells officials to ref games certain ways in favor of big name players and teams. He completely orchestrates the NBA. It's fucking annoying.

I'm not sure who implemented it but the biggest problem with the NBA is the draft lottery, where the worst team RARELY receives the #1 pick, as they should. How many years have the Timberwolves been in the shitter? When was the last time they had the #1 pick? Hell, I can't even remember the last time they had the #2 pick.

Evidence that the lottery is a farce: There is no way in Hell Derrick Rose should be a Chicago Bull.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Why didn't we get Lakers-Cavs in 2009? Everyone wanted and expected to see that series. There was a major marketing campaign building towards it. Why didn't David Stern orchestrate it so we got to see that rather than the meh Magic series?

Also, why isn't Blake Griffin a Thunder? Oklahoma City was a bad team its first year, and having the local star would've ensured that they would be a prominent fixture in Oklahoma City for a long while.

Not to mention the Timberwolves have averaged being 1 pick different from their position in the standings since they've started to become bad. They've only been the worst or second worst team once in that stretch, last year.

Also, the whole point of the lottery is so people like you don't bitch and moan about teams intentionally tanking to get the top pick in the draft. Obviously it still happens, but not as much thanks to this.

Selig, and it was kind of an easy decision for me (unfortunately).

Edited by BLUE

We voted for him because he's a puppet master who (and we all know this) tells officials to ref games certain ways in favor of big name players and teams. He completely orchestrates the NBA. It's fucking annoying.

Once again, you're the only person who thinks the NBA is actually rigged. People voted for Stern because they think hes douchebag and an asshole not because they believe in these conspiracy theories.

YES! I'm happy to see good amount of votes! I knew this topic would get interesting.

I have read articles that state that the steroid problems go back to before Selig became acting MLB Commissioner in 1992. Jose Canseco for example admitted to taking steroids in the 1980's. Selig isn't to blame entirely for the issue, but he DOES deserve blame for failing to face it directly and not trying to solve it as best as he could.

Bettman. He refuses to acknowledge the fact that expansion was a TERRIBLE idea and of course they had the lost season but I don't even blame him that much for that.

Exactly. The southern hockey markets have consistently lost money since they were put in. Also, Ohio and Georgia had teams that failed before (Cleveland Barons and the Atlanta [now Calgary] Flames) so putting teams back in those spots was totally stupid. A prime example of this problem is the ongoing Phoenix Coyotes saga. The only smart expansion was the Minnesota Wild as they have sold out completely since entering the league.

I have read articles that state that the steroid problems go back to before Selig became acting MLB Commissioner in 1992. Jose Canseco for example admitted to taking steroids in the 1980's. Selig isn't to blame entirely for the issue, but he DOES deserve blame for failing to face it directly and not trying to solve it as best as he could.

While steroids were used before selig, I don't think anyone can doubt that they truly became a huge part of the game until Selig's reign.

I'm not sure who implemented it but the biggest problem with the NBA is the draft lottery, where the worst team RARELY receives the #1 pick, as they should. How many years have the Timberwolves been in the shitter? When was the last time they had the #1 pick? Hell, I can't even remember the last time they had the #2 pick.

Evidence that the lottery is a farce: There is no way in Hell Derrick Rose should be a Chicago Bull.

I actually think the lottery is an amazing idea. It prohibits teams from throwing the season just to have the number one pick. It's also entertaining. Depending on what the team needs, anyone can be selected first. It'd be nice for others sports to put this into place.

I voted Roger. He shows inconsistency like the NCAA.. whether it be in decision making, fines, or any other facet of the game he can touch. Plus being the head honcho during a lockout fuels a horrible reputation.. on top of an already lost respect.

Paul Taglubue was the worst of all time!! He wouldnt allow Baltimore back into the NFL he blocked Baltimore from getting the expansion team. That team in North Carrolina should have been Baltimores team.

• Downvote 1