Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

49ers New Stadium Gets Green Light

"The city of Santa Clara this week took steps to keep millions of redevelopment dollars, including money earmarked for a new 49ers stadium, from state officials eyeing it to help close the state's massive budget gap.

The Santa Clara City Council called a special meeting Tuesday to transfer $140 million plus 178 acres of property from its redevelopment agency into city-controlled coffers. The council voted 6-0 in favor of the move.

"We have no funds now in our redevelopment coffers that can be taken," Mayor Jamie Matthews said.

That redevelopment money had been earmarked for an array of projects, the most high-profile being the 49ers' $937 million stadium that is planned to open in 2015.

In June, Santa Clara voters gave the go-ahead to build the 68,500-seat facility on a city-owned parking lot adjacent to the 49ers' training facility. The city has agreed to provide $114 million toward the project, including $40 million in redevelopment dollars.

Full Article

Edited by RANGA

Theyve had quite a few stadiums. Some teams have only had one.

Theyve had quite a few stadiums. Some teams have only had one.

They need something to attract people, because the team certainly isn't.

Yeah...I really love Candlestick Park, so I'm not too sure what to think about this.

The last Niners home game I watched, I noticed a lot of seats which limited views. I suppose with it being a multi-functional stadium.. that happens, but still. Nice to hear San Fran is attempting to help save their team.