Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Rashard Mendenhall backs up AP's comments

While some, like Packers RB Ryan Grant, have taken exception to Peterson’s statement – Grant makes the point that there is, you know, still ACTUAL slavery in the world – Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall sees Peterson’s point. Writes Mendenhall on his Twitter page (this transcript, by the way, is presented unedited and strung together over about 10 different updates): “@AdrianPeterson Anyone with knowledege of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel eachother. If you look back and disect what I said, I ddnt say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel eachother. Look up the word parallel. This means that they're not the same thing, but they run the same course. These paths will never cross, but they mirror eachother. I could break down how, but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn't understand. “Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgement. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant. Outside of the dollar amounts you see on tv, you don't know what's going on with the innerworkings of this buisness. I don't know what goes on at your job. But how dumb would I sound if I read about it in the newspaper and tried to tell you what's going on? Its bigger than what you people on the outside see on sundays, see on ESPN, read about in the paper. Just like any job, any business anywhere. Really think about that.†Since Peterson is traveling to Africa, his agent, Ben Dogra, was left cleaning up some of the mess. "I think anybody that knows Adrian knows that Adrian is a very strong-willed and passionate individual," Dogra told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "The game means an awful lot to him. People should not just take his statements per se word by word. It's a difficult time. He would love to play. I'm sure that everybody would love to see football continue in the NFL and I'm sure at some point it will get resolved. But Adrian, that's what makes him great. He's soft-spoken but if he has something on his mind he'll speak it. But I think nobody should really look at those words and take them out of context."

Source: CBSSports

lolRashardMendenhall

By that logic, doesn't almost any job parallel slavery? If you look at a normal job, and take away the fact that you get paid to do it, it'd be slavery.

Maybe someone should start an underground railroad to save these poor NFL players from their voluntary employment...or self imposed "slavery" rather...

Are they treated like meat? Probably, like slaves? not hardly...

Edited by Krawnka
  • Upvote 1

:facepalm: Getting closer and closer to siding with the billionaires here.

No reason to side with either. Just let them lockout, fuck up and the UFL will rise to prominence and all will be forgotten.

Edited by RazorStar

Still dont get their explanation of what its slavery. Their argument is like "You dont understand because you dont know what goes on here". Ok, then explain what goes on in the NFL that makes it mirror slavery, douche bag. You made a statement to the public, wtf did you think was going to happen?

• Upvote 1

Slavery: condition of being enslaved labourer: the state or condition of being held in involuntary servitude as the property of somebody else.

Working in the NFL is NOT considered slavery Peterson, as you can retire from it at anytime. You don't like it, get out of the league, otherwise quit making idiotic comments.

Whoops I put this in the wrong thread. It was supposed to go in this one: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48609-adrian-peterson-compares-his-job-to-modern-day-slavery/

Edited by BigBen07

I made the same illusion but it was meant to be an exaggeration. I see what they're saying. Owners make a shit-ton of money of guys like Peterson and Mendenhall's back. Their careers probably won't last 10 years and as soon as they can't do their thing physically anymore they're cast aside like trash while an owner could own their team for 50 years if they wanted and make obscene amounts of coin.

And it's not so simple to just go to school for these guys. A lot of them are dumb because they come from poor southern or innercity families and their schooling sucked. (It's also a reason why they say stupid shit sometimes lol) Being football stars in college they probably were just pushed through and took the easiest classes and didn't graduate and probably couldn't under normal circumstances.

Then you expect these uneducated guys who have no idea what money is really to live their whole lives on money they make in their 20's. I'm not saying this is the case for all NFL players, but for a lot of them it is. It's a shame and it reflects on society more than the league, but they need to fight for the money now while they're able to make it imo.

Edited by seanbrock

Every employer makes cash off of the backs of their employees...once the employee can no longer contribute, they're thrown in the trash.

These kids earn free college educations, based upon their physical performance. They should at least be able figure out, that they'll eventually become too old to make buckets of cash, for playing a sport....

If you're broke after making 50 million dollars over 6 years, you'll get no sympathy from me.

Thats a fuckin cop out. I grew up in the inner city, went to shit Cleveland public schools and come from a very poor family. I played football and was recruited but I made the CHOICE on my education. We all make choices in life, if you decide to take the easy route, you may pay for it later in life.

Their job is just like most any other job in this country. The owners make money off the production of their employees. When the employee isnt fit to work anymore, they're cast aside. The difference is: most people dont make millions of dollars per year like our friends AP and Mendy. I made sure I got my education and I have a good job but I can work for 30 years and not come close to netting what they do in 5-10 years. Once they're done in the NFL they can do what they like - fuck around on the golf course, go into broadcasting or coaching. I'm going to be doing the same shit probably. Yeah, I feel real fuckin sorry for these guys.

What you're basically saying is the owners worked for their education, have the ability to run a billion dollar organization but we should bend to these ignorant players for putting in less than 2 years in most cases?

What?

PLUS MOTHER FUCKING ONE!

:beerchug2:

• Upvote 1

Hell yea, Natty Ice.

• Upvote 1

Thats a fuckin cop out. I grew up in the inner city, went to shit Cleveland public schools and come from a very poor family. I played football and was recruited but I made the CHOICE on my education. We all make choices in life, if you decide to take the easy route, you may pay for it later in life.

Their job is just like most any other job in this country. The owners make money off the production of their employees. When the employee isnt fit to work anymore, they're cast aside. The difference is: most people dont make millions of dollars per year like our friends AP and Mendy. I made sure I got my education and I have a good job but I can work for 30 years and not come close to netting what they do in 5-10 years. Once they're done in the NFL they can do what they like - fuck around on the golf course, go into broadcasting or coaching. I'm going to be doing the same shit probably. Yeah, I feel real fuckin sorry for these guys.

What you're basically saying is the owners worked for their education, have the ability to run a billion dollar organization but we should bend to these ignorant players for putting in less than 2 years in most cases?

What?

Not to pick on the Giants organization. They're actually one of the best in the NFL, but do you think people like that, who inherited Millions and Billions in some cases worked so much harder than somebody who is in the NFL. Chances are pretty good that they didn't.

And yeah, you worked really hard and went through shitty ass Cleveland Public Schools, you deserve props for that but you also weren't a ridiculously talented athlete that when they were kids had people let them do whatever the fuck they wanted. It's hard to make those kinds of decisions when you 14-17 years old. Hmm, should I party get laid and play football all while still getting A's because I'm going to go pro, or should I try to actually learn to set myself for the future. It's easy to look back on a situation like that as a 30 year old man and say what you would do, but these guys are just kids when this shit happens to them.

You do realize that the Giants' owners actually DID work hard, don't you?

Mara was an attorney for a while before he joined the org:

He attended Iona Preparatory School in nearby New Rochelle, graduating in 1972. He received a B.S. cum laude in marketing from Boston College in 1976, followed by a law degree in 1979 from Fordham University.

Tisch is an Oscar Award winning producer, IIRC.

• Upvote 1

What?

WELL SAID NATAS! I wish I could give you a +100 for this. :):thumbup::clap:

• Upvote 1

So I found the letter the Roger Goodell sent to the players. There may be something to this after all...

nfl-letter.jpg

• Upvote 1

Memo to AP and Mendenhall....you know a real easy way to avoid having to try and explain your idiocy? Don't make the fucking comparison to begin with.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Memo to AP and Mendenhall....you know a real easy way to avoid having to try and explain your idiocy? Don't make the fucking comparison to begin with.

Amen. Those two need their heads examined.

Amen. Those two need their heads examined.

:p

BAHAAHA

LOL at the argument that we should give these guys breaks because they're stupid, but it's our fault, not theirs.

Fuck that noise. Stupidity is a state of mind, and just like any state of mind, it can be changed through one's own choice.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

If getting paid millions of dollars per year is slavery, where do I sign up?

And wonder how long it's going to take Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to come to the defense of these poor NFL players.

Shit, I mean to plus 1 that, hit the neg by mistake.