BLUE

Christian Ponder sharp during pro day

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder threw passes under the watchful eye of NFL scouts Wednesday to one of the league's best receivers ever -- Issac Bruce.

The retired NFL veteran was called into action in part because of the NFL labor strife. No current NFL players are allowed to workout in front of league executives and the Seminoles had no senior receivers on their roster last season.

Ponder didn't know until Wednesday that he would be throwing on his pro day to Bruce, who has Hall of Fame numbers with 1,024 catches good for 15,208 yards and 91 touchdowns.

"It was crazy," said Ponder, whose mom, dad and brother watched the workout. "I never thought I'd be throwing to Isaac Bruce at some point in my life."

Ponder has his agent to thank for the opportunity. The Florida State quarterback and Bruce are both clients of Memphis-based Jimmy Sexton.

But didn't seem to miss a beat.

The scouts were eager to see if he is fully recovered from a series of arm injuries. With Bruce running routes along with a handful of Florida State running backs, Ponder threw short passes, sideline passes, intermediate passes and also the deep ball.

Most scouts wanted to see how Ponder threw long, a question mark among some anxious to see if he'd gotten past the shoulder and arm injuries that severely limited his production over the last year-and-a-half of his collegiate career.

"Great competitor," Cincinnati offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said afterward, noting that Ponder also brings rare leadership intangibles. "An interesting guy and a great prospect."

Ponder's stock has risen rapidly after being selected as the MVP of the Senior Bowl he followed up with a sterling performance at the NFL combine last month at Indianapolis and another Wednesday.

"He had a real good day," Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher said. "Especially with guys he'd never thrown with."

Quarterbacks Cam Newton from Auburn and Missouri's Blaine Gabbert are widely considered locks as first-round draft picks in next month's NFL draft and Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher believes Ponder should be right there along with them.

Read more: ESPN

Jags and Bengals both had private meetings with him after his workout.

I might give him to the Jags in my next mock...

(in the 1st round)

Florida State QB Christian Ponder "continues to ascend" after showing off "above average arm strength" and "excellent footwork" at the Seminoles' Pro Day, according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

Mayock's colleague, Michael Lombardi, indicated that many teams now prefer Ponder to Jake Locker. We assume those are West Coast teams, as Ponder's pass placement and athleticism are considered tailor made for the system. Ponder proved his arm was back to full strength, nailing his selection of deep throws Wednesday. Despite an underwhelming college career, Ponder is now seen as the most NFL ready QB in the draft. Source: Evan Silva on Twitter

And stevo didn't want to put him in the first... haha :D

The key for him is to stay healthy. If he can... he's gonna be really good.

I'm a big fan of Ponder. Call me crazy, but I would take him over the other QBs in this draft. Well...him and Colin Kaepernick.

:shrug:

I believe in Chad Pennington 2.0.

Still my favorite QB in this class.

I believe in Chad Pennington 2.0.

I think he's more like a better version of Matt Ryan.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Broncos are interested in trading back into the first round to select Christian Ponder, according to Scout.com draft analyst Chris Steuber.

This comes on the heels of a report that Tim Tebow is "not the quarterback for John Elway." Ponder is perhaps the draft's most NFL-ready quarterback, and may be available in the back end of round one or first part of the second. Our guess continues to be that Elway indeed wants to trade down to fill his multifarious defensive needs, and he's using QB talk as a smokescreen. Apr 4, 9:42 AM

Source: Chris Steuber on Twitter

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT YOU FUCKING HORSE SHIT CUNT FACE MOTHERFUCKER FUCKING EGGSALAD BITCH TITS. GET THE FUCK OUT AND LET US BUILD UP OUR DEFENSE.

• Upvote 1

Multifarious. Bravo, Rotoworld. Bravo.

According to Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki, NFL talent evaluators are "increasingly" comparing Christian Ponder to Trent Edwards for his lack of elite ability and proneness to injury.

Edwards has been injured in some way (except 2010, as a backup) every year dating back to high school, while Ponder had three throwing-arm surgeries in his final two years at FSU. Nawrocki calls both QBs "inconsistent decision makers" as well. We don't love Ponder as a prospect, but still think he'll go high in the draft. He's a likely mid to late first-round pick. Source: Pro Football Weekly

Nawrocki is just hating on Quarterbacks. Here's what he wrote about Blaine Gabbert:

Strengths: Levelheaded. Pro-ready. Excellent pocket maneuverability.

Weaknesses: Homosexual. Obvious from first name. Slurps down cum like it’s fresh milk. Slow to get to third and fourth reads because too busy thinking of hot, gorgeous men with thick, steely thighs and beautiful hard cocks. Probably steals quick glances at cock in the locker room. Can’t be trusted alone in a room with a receiver after meetings.

And Ryan Mallett

Strengths: Great size. Tremendous arm strength. Throws an NFL-ready deep ball. Stands tall in the pocket.

Weaknesses: Prone to turnovers. Footwork is spotty at best. Seems to play best only in smallest moments. Drinks heavily. Smokes weed. Brushes teeth with crack. Has a gray penis, which is always a troubling sign. Standoffish. Rude. Arrogant. Still ices other bros. Once bragged that he fucked a 14-year-old in the back of a Pizza Hut while her birthday party was going on in the event room. Transfer student. Probably a freak. Bet he listens to The Cure a lot. Eats spaghetti with his hands. Stole my girlfriend. No lie. One day she tells me she wants to break up with me, then I see her two days later hanging out with this fuckface at Sonic. And it was clear that this had been going on for a while. WHY WOULD YOU DO ME LIKE THAT, APRIL? I know I wasn’t the perfect boyfriend, but to leave me for that guy? YOU VICIOUS CUNT.

I'm a big fan of Ponder. Call me crazy, but I would take him over the other QBs in this draft. Well...him and Colin Kaepernick.

:shrug:

I def wouldn't take him over Newton, Gabbert, Locker, and Mallet.

I wouldn't take him over Gabbert, but the others? Most def.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Ex-Bills WR Andre Reed hinted strongly on Thursday that the team is high on Florida State QB Christian Ponder.

Reed, who is calling the Bills' second-round pick on draft day, tweeted a message to Ponder. "Lookin forward to calling your name Draft Day!" wrote Reed, adding that the Bills' brass likes his "style." Reed deleted the tweet shortly thereafter. As beat writer Joe Buscaglia points out, Chan Gailey tried to recruit Ponder to Georgia Tech and coached him in his impressive Senior Bowl performance. Apr 21, 3:54 PM

Source: WGR 550

Still my favorite QB in this class.

Bills will trade back into the 1st for him.

Lol Ponder not going in the first round.