Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

ESPN's top ten Pass Rushers

ESPN's bloggers continue their skill position rankings with a top ten pass rushers, an interesting response to the question of how to deal with 4-3 vs 3-4 defenses

Here's the top ten:

1. DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys

2. Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers

3. Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Colts

4. Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings

5. Tamba Hali, Kansas City Chiefs

6. James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers

7. John Abraham, Atlanta Falcons

8. Julius Peppers, Chicago Bears

9. LaMarr Woodley, Pittsburgh Steelers

10. Cameron Wake, Miami Dolphins

And here's the explanation and breakdown of voting: Link

I think Paul Kuharsky may have let a bit of an AFC South bias slip in voting Dwight Freeney #1 (the only blogger to put anyone but Demarcus Ware there) and voting Mario Williams #4 and Robert Mathis #6 (as the only blogger to include either in his list) but overall I think it's a pretty good list, probably the best one I've seen from them so far

Jared Allen is way high, and Cameron Wake is too low. I am actually kinda surprised Wake is on the list at all. He usually flies pretty under the radar.

No Trent Cole on the list at all? Epic fail.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No Trent Cole on the list at all? Epic fail.

Mike Sando had him 10th, but nobody else ranked him, his omission is pretty bad, but that's really the only thing I see majorly wrong here

I mean, I hate to come off as a whiny homer, but Trent Cole deserves to be on this list. Since it is the top ten "pass rushers," I'm assuming they're just considering that dimension and nothing else (coverage, run stopping), which is fine, but Cole should be top five.

The other issue is to put Wake higher, but looking at the guys in the top five, it'd be tough to give any of them a bump.

• Downvote 1

Trent Cole is too balanced and too awesome to be one of the best pass rushers. Or to be recognized as such anyway.

Trent Cole is too balanced and too awesome to be one of the best pass rushers. Or to be recognized as such anyway.

Well...I guess I can live with that. :D

Well...I guess I can live with that. :D

It's like Jared Allen.. he is one dimensional and doesn't even have that many pass rush moves. He just runs up field and prays that the LT makes a mistake. That's what you call elite pass rushing skill. /sarcasm

Oh.. and I will admit I'd move Clay down a tad too. Ware, Hali, and Wake would be in my top 3 in no order.

Edit: Oh, and Cole too. Honestly.. I didn't even think of him until stevo said something. And that isn't to say I don't know about cole.. but just that he is under appreciated and flies under the radar himself (as a pass rusher anyway)

Edited by Favre4Ever

Guest Durant4MVP

-Trent Cole isn't on the list

-Jared Allen is too high

-Cameron Wake is too low

-in b4 Zack says Woodley and Harrison should be higher than Ware

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They shouldn't be higher than Ware, but to not see at least one of them in the top five is...surprising.

-Trent Cole isn't on the list

-Jared Allen is too high

-Cameron Wake is too low

-in b4 Zack says Woodley and Harrison should be higher than Ware

Wake has had one great season; he is where he should be for now (and where Hali should be as well). Harrison and Woodley are consistently dominating in the pass rush department while rushing the passer half as much as the other people on the list. Ware rushes as much as the average 4-3 DE, who rush nearly every play. Woodley and Harrison drop into coverage 50% of the time.

List should look like this:

1. DeMarcus Ware

2. LaMarr Woodley

3. Trent Cole

4. James Harrison

5. Clay Matthews

6. Jared Allen

7. Dwight Freeney

8. Osi Umenyiora

9. Cameron Wake

10. John Abraham/Justin Tuck/Tamba Hali/Robert Mathis/Julius Peppers

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Wake has had one great season; he is where he should be for now (and where Hali should be as well). Harrison and Woodley are consistently dominating in the pass rush department while rushing the passer half as much as the other people on the list. Ware rushes as much as the average 4-3 DE, who rush nearly every play. Woodley and Harrison drop into coverage 50% of the time.

List should look like this:

1. DeMarcus Ware

2. LaMarr Woodley

3. Trent Cole

4. James Harrison

5. Clay Matthews

6. Jared Allen

7. Dwight Freeney

8. Osi Umenyiora

9. Cameron Wake

10. John Abraham/Justin Tuck/Tamba Hali/Robert Mathis

I agree on most but why have Jared Allen so high?

I agree on most but why have Jared Allen so high?

I think Jared sucks at run support and is FAR from being the complete player that Trent Cole, James Harrison, and the like are. However, it's hard to look past what he's done since joining the league pass rush wise.

asefasf.jpg

To average just under 12 sacks a year (11.8) over his 7 seasons in the league is pretty remarkable. To put it into perspective a bit, Bruce Smith averaged 10.5 sacks over his career and Lawrence Taylor averaged 10.2.

Hell, after seeing this, I might even have Jared up a spot or two in my list.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

@Zack this is top ten PASS RUSHERS.

Freeney is getting the attention he should get; because he has the ultimate combination of power and versatility with that spin move.

[/homer]

Edited by әightninә.
  • Downvote 3

^:rofl:

As far as the list goes, I don't have any major problems with it. Trent Cole should be given some love, though...

Edited by Maverick