Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Chuck Bednarik In Hospital

Philadelphia Eagles Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik is in serious condition in a hospital near his Pennsylvania home.

A nursing supervisor at St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem would not provide additional information on the condition of the 85-year-old former star, but The Morning Call of Allentown, Pa., reported Thursday that Bednarik was admitted because of shortness of breath.

Bednarik played linebacker and center for the Eagles long after the heyday of two-way players. His game-saving tackle helped the Eagles capture the 1960 NFL championship, the last title won by the franchise.

He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eec8bf/article/eagles-hall-of-famer-bednarik-hospitalized-in-serious-condition?module=HP_headlines

St. Luke's in Bethlehem?! That's only 20 minutes from my house...didn't know I had a legend living so close to me. :p

Hope all turns out well for him.

My thoughts go out to Chuck and his family. I hope he can pull through this. The man is tough as nails.

Chuck is in his eighties by now, and what a humongous champion he has been for the Philadelphia Eagles, and the NFL! I'm sending some prayers upstairs for his recovery.

Get well Mr. Bednarik.

By NFL.com Wire Reports

Pro Football Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik is expected to be released from a Pennsylvania hospital this week, his son-in-law told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Bednarik, 85, was listed in serious condition after he was admitted to St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem, Pa. last week with shortness of breath.

"He was up and walking around today and eating more," Ken Safarowic, a spokesman for the Bednarik family, told the Inquirer.

Safarowic said that tests revealed no major problems for Bednarik.

"His heart's fine, he didn't have a stroke, so the doctors don't want to keep him any longer than they have to," Safarowic said. "They caught him crawling out of bed."

Bednarik played linebacker and center for the Eagles long after the heyday of two-way players. His game-saving tackle helped the Eagles claim the 1960 NFL championship, the last title won by the franchise.

Bednarik was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967.

Source: NFL.com

Pretty nuts that this guy faught in WWII, played 11 NFL seasons in a much more violent era of football, and played them on both sides of the ball for much of his career and he's 85 and still fucking kicking.