Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

facing the shitty realities

So we just started up spring ball and I'm facing some shitty realities from both school and football that might cause me to hang up the pads for good.

With football for starters, so my o-line coach put out a line to try and recruit 6 new o-lineman that he liked what he saw in, expecting to pick up at least a few of them. Well they all signed to his surprise and this is going along with the two other new transfers that just got here for springball. Well the rumor floating around is that 3 o-lineman are getting cut after springball to make way for the new guys. Well I know one of them is a freshman who pretty much can't do anything right. Well if springball ended right now I know I'd be one of the other ones. Despite the fact that I've been improving at a ridiculous pace from when I came in a shitty freshman two years ago. I have the second strongest power clean on the o-line and one of the fastest 40 times on the team despite last year being last in both of those categories. But I'm still behind the older guys on the team as far as skill goes. So unless I straight ball out this springball, this might be the last time I strap it up, and even if I do ball it still could be my ass hittin the bench. Just one shitty reality that has started to hit me.

The other is school, now I'm a nursing major and at that I'm the first football player nurse this college has ever had. Hell, I'm the first to even try it and damn it's a lot of work being one of the hardest majors on campus. And I've managed to have a 3.2 GPA. Now after next year I'll be doing upper division for nursing and my school has the least amount of spots open in the state, 15. Most people go two hours away to Billings where there is 40 slots open. Well I knew this going in, but the head of the nursing dept. recruited me to the program with the notion that I would get priority placement because I have a reason I need to stay in Bozeman because to get into Bozeman you have a to have a 3.8 usually. Well I found out today that they just put in a new placement policy that would do away with priority placement. So in a sense I might be fucked, I'm going to petition to be grandfathered into the old rule but this might be the end of football as well if I have to move away. It's shitty because I work my ass off competing against my teammates for positions, but then I also have to work my ass off to compete against other nurses who have nothing better to do than study. I don't have that kind of time.

So ya, this is me venting. If anyone has any advice for me it's definitely welcome.

Guest Durant4MVP

The answer here is obvious: ball the fuck out in spring training. :)

I'm prescribing you a heavy dose of man the fuck up. Good luck and do work, son! :D

Edited by Durant4MVP

I'd like to post meatspin for all the times you trolled in the shoutbox, but even I'm not that much of a dick. Not sure how much to add, because I've never been in your situation. We do, however, have some guys here who have either played in college or are playing college football who might be of better assistance than I. With regard to football, just pretty have nothing great to add outside of what Phail (Duran4Ever) added. Don't THINK you have a shot at getting kicked off, KNOW you aren't and go out get it, if you really want it.

Good luck!!!!

Edited by BLUE

This completely depends on what you want. How much do you love football? Are you one of those guys who loves it to death or one of those guys who was just good at it so he kept playing into college? If it's the former, listen to Phail and Blue. If it's the latter...reconsider football. Because, whether we like it or not, the future is more important than a set of pads. One way or the other, if you're going to continue with football, you gotta drop this attitude. Football is twice as much brains as it is braun. It's all about what you believe you can do.

Keep going with your studies. You have a better chance of exceeding in that and making a career for yourself in nursing, if thats what you chose, than you do in continuing to bust your ass in football and getting a few snaps here and there on game day. It's not like your going to be an NFL player. Not saying it in a bad way I'm just saying football maybe got you into a good college but now you have to make the most of it and set your future.

Edited by KiLaSix9

"Hard work breeds success."

Don't give up when the going gets tough. Go out there and do your best. Show your coaches what you're capable of in Spring Football and balance your studies. You seem to be doing a good job already seeing that your GPA isn't bad. Go get 'em!

Success is made through opportunity, something that isn't shared. If you have a better chance at nursing, devote your energy to that, a stable career is better than a purely lucrative one.

• Upvote 2

Success is made through opportunity, something that isn't shared. If you have a better chance at nursing, devote your energy to that, a stable career is better than a purely lucrative one.

Having played college football and wasted time and energy on a game that I never thought I'd go pro, this is exactly what I was going to say when I read your post. Sure football is fun and yes its great to play at the college level but I would not risk my long term professional goals in hindsight.

Good luck in whatever you decide is best.

Hey guys, thanks for all of your support. I think I do need to clarify some things though. It's not really a decision point of whether to stick with football or nursing, wherever nursing takes me is where I'm going. I do not have any expectations to play in the pros after I'm done here. I play football because I simply love it, I'm not on a scholarship of any kind and I get disrespected all the time but I wouldn't trade this for anything. The guys on the team are something else and they are really brothers to me, they are really the ones I'm going to miss if I get cut or have to leave the team after next year for nursing.

Me and my roommate have discussed it many times and it always comes down to the fact that getting the education is much more important than athletics. Because in a few years athletics will be over no matter what unless somehow I went pro but I'm far from counting on that. What I will have is an education in something that I am very passionate about doing and that is nursing.

I've been through a whole hell of a lot to get to this point and I'm damn proud to of made it this far. In high school I was far from a stand-out, injuries always hindered me plus the political bullshit that happens in high school ball. But I was the hardest worker on the team and that stood out to the o-line coach here at MSU and he recruited me as a preferred walk on to come in with the 90 man roster. It made a lot of my teammates mad in high school, because there were a few olineman on my team that were all state and they were going to NAIA schools, I never did get along well with them anyway because they cared more about drinking and partying than football. When I got here I was nothing more than a redshirt scout team player but I worked my ass off and got bigger and stronger because I was already way behind a lot of my teammates. When spring ball came I had a "decent" spring ball, but I did have a spectacular spring game at the end and stood out to my coach. I had the usual meeting after spring ball and he informed me I would be invited back to the 90 man roster in the fall and I would attend fall camp. Over the summer at a workout I hyper extended my knee and was put in a brace for all of July. Well I went on my trip to Africa to come back a week before fall camp and I was healed up and ready to go. Two days before fall camp was to start my coach called me in, he then informed me that my spot on the fall camp roster had been replaced and that I would have to come onto the 115 roster when school starts unless someone gets hurt and then I would get a call to fill his spot. Well a week and a half into fall camp someone went down and I got the call. I finished the week of fall camp left and finished strong despite being behind everyone else. I figured that the year would be another developmental year on the scout team but to my surprise my coach traveled me to the first game at Washington State. I then proceeded to play in quite a few of the home games and make the traveling roster to every away game. Quite an accomplishment for a guy who was taken off of the fall camp roster. I played 4 positions on the o-line this past year and didn't complain a bit, I often would play 2 or 3 different positions in one practice. This drew the attention of my coach who commended me for my dedication to the team. I would say I'm one of the smartest o-lineman on the team, not only do I know every position and every call but I also have been teaching it to the freshman beneath me that are still learning and don't get the time of day from upper classman.

This is something I love, but to make it this far is one hell of an accomplishment and I can't let that slip my mind.

And I want to repeat, I do appreciate your guys' support and advice at this time. Shit definitely ain't easy. Btw Natas where did you play at?

NaTaS was a walk on at tOSU, IIRC. I could be wrong on that, though.

And after further review, it sounds like nursing might be the route to focus on.

Good luck!

Edited by BLUE

So basically right now I'm going all out, because who knows if this might be the last time I suit up. I'm playing like I've never played before. I've never fought on the field before, this last Saturday was the first day of pads and I got in one big fists flying fight and a bunch of other fights. I'm playing with nothing to lose and I love it.

Just know you aren't alone.

When I first got into college, I began at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas. They continued to lose documentation (payments, transcripts, etc) of mine after I was there for a full year. On top of that, they ignored multiple requests to drop a certain Calculus instructor. These two things ended up ruining my time there. Because of the lost documents, I was constantly being told that I was on a day-to-day notice when it came to my dorm room, classes, and permission on campus. And because of the only instructor available (who could not teach worth a damn), I couldn't get past Calculus I which put me back a full semester.

I finally had enough and transferred to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. It's a smaller school and I know less people, but I'm glad the move happened. It ended up being a blessing in disguise because I was able to get the schooling I feel I deserve, to catch up and graduate on time, and have no worries about where I was going to sleep at night. Plus I heard rumors that the bitch in Fayetteville got fired due to her fail rate.

So while I looks like everything is going in the shitter, keep your head up. It may just end up being the best thing to ever happen to you. Yes, I miss Fayetteville but if I would have stayed there.. I wouldn't have graduated on time or even at all. Good luck with all of it. It's a rough time for sure, but it's what gets you ready for the real world.