BLUE

Report: Alex Smith has 49ers' offer on table

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to the Sacramento Bee, free agent Alex Smith already has a one-year offer on the table to re-sign with the 49ers.

Jim Harbaugh believes Smith has the "armadillo skin" to deal with a restless fanbase. Smith has been working out with several 49ers in the Bay area, and Harbaugh's comments have made it clear that he wants the six-year veteran back to compete for the starting job. Smith will get a chance to test the market before making a final decision.

Source: Sacramento Bee Apr 13, 11:44 AM

Edited by BLUE

Meh, don't really care if we keep him or not. It's clear he's not the long-term option anymore (thankfully).

• Upvote 1

Meh, don't really care if we keep him or not. It's clear he's not the long-term option anymore (thankfully).

Pretty much this.

I think that if Alex Smith takes this one year offer by the 49ers then he can use it to revamp his image and game and the 49ers can use him as "bridge", so to speak, for the next QB that they draft in this year's draft if that happens.

IMO he should leave... He has been ruined by the horrible coaching staffs, horrible owners, horrible team up till the last 2 years. Time to move on...

IMO he should leave... He has been ruined by the horrible coaching staffs, horrible owners, horrible team up till the last 2 years. Time to move on...

...That.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Free agent QB Alex Smith's standing one-year offer from the 49ers is believed to be for $5 million.

Smith had been playing on a two-year, $6.5 million deal from 2009-2010, so the standing offer represents a significant raise. It's highly unlikely he'd match that upfront money on the open market. May 18, 11:16 AM

Source: Sacramento Bee

Per 49ers.com

Alex Smith is currently an unrestricted free agent, but the six-year pro told local reporters there's a good likelihood he will return to the 49ers for a seventh season.

Smith didn't want to be quoted by media outlets watching 49ers players go through player-organized workouts on Tuesday, but CSN Bay Area anchor Mindi Bach and 49ers beat writer Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee both relayed his comments.

Edited by BayAreaBomber

I'm actually very surprised that they haven't given up on him entirely. He's relatively been a bust since they picked him in the draft. I don't think it's just the coaches' faults though and the team in the past few years...some of that accountability has to be on the player themselves as well. Maybe he'll be able to turn his career around.

I'm actually very surprised that they haven't given up on him entirely. He's relatively been a bust since they picked him in the draft. I don't think it's just the coaches' faults though and the team in the past few years...some of that accountability has to be on the player themselves as well. Maybe he'll be able to turn his career around.

When put in a spread offense (which is what he is comfortable in) he is not bad. 2 seasons ago showed that. Singletary was just a bitch that wouldnt allow a passing game. Not saying he is good, but really, he has not been used how he should have been. 49ers are the reason for him being a bust IMO.

When put in a spread offense (which is what he is comfortable in) he is not bad. 2 seasons ago showed that. Singletary was just a bitch that wouldnt allow a passing game. Not saying he is good, but really, he has not been used how he should have been. 49ers are the reason for him being a bust IMO.

I second that. They need to design an offense that is suitable to his individual passing skillset and give it a full season to see if he can produce decent numbers within that system. If he can't then the label "bust" is correct based both on his poor play (if that turns out to be the case) and the poor coaching staff in the past seasons he has played for the 49ers.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The NFL has sent the 49ers a memo asking them to stop talking about re-signing free agent Alex Smith.

More lockout fallout. Coach Jim Harbaugh has stated multiple times, in no uncertain terms, that he plans to bring back Smith. The subject is now verboten. "The league has mandated we do not talk about him," Harbaugh said. "The NFL has mandated that we don't talk about players who are not under contract — who are free agents who haven't signed." May 31, 1:37 PM

Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Per Rotoworld.com:

Free agent Alex Smith all but confirmed to reporters Wednesday that he'll re-sign with the 49ers after the lockout.

"I think you've said it. The writing's out there," he said. "I'm not going to give a quote, but I think enough's been done." Smith is the favorite to open the season as the Niners' starting quarterback. History says that won't last. Jun 1, 9:41 PM

Source: CSN Bay Area