Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Ryan Mallett skipped Panthers visit after late night out

Reports: Ryan Mallett skipped Panthers visit after late night out

Posted by Evan Silva on April 20, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT

Both Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer and Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune and NFP are reporting that Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett blew off his April 9 team-facility visit with the Carolina Panthers earlier this month.

Biggs has the details.

Citing multiple sources, Biggs reports that Mallett met the Panthers on the evening of April 8 for dinner with club officials. The Razorbacks’ all-time passing leader was “seen out on the town late†following the meal, and reportedly called in sick the next day.

Biggs’ report acknowledges the mass amounts of pre-draft misinformation spread this time of year. But Biggs insists “there is no mistaking that Mallett called the Panthers (on April 9) and told them he was ill after a late night in Charlotte.â€

Mallett, as you already know, has been the subject of character scrutiny due to a 2009 arrest for public intoxication, as well as countless pre-draft rumors that take his alleged consumption problems much further.

During February team interviews at the Combine, Mallett reportedly told NFL executives and coaching staffs that he did drugs at Arkansas.

While these issues say little about Mallett’s football future, they certainly threaten to torpedo his draft stock.

SOURCE

Maybe he really just wanted to play in Canada.

Does anybody care? I'd still draft the kid, but not in the first round.

And it is possible to be sick after being out the night before. All the people you run into? I don't doubt that he was hungover, but you can't just dismiss that he could have been legitimately sick.

Why would you get a hangover when you are going through one of the biggest job interviews in your life ?

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Why would you get a hangover when you are going through one of the biggest job interviews in your life ?

Poor work ethic?

Improper prioritization?

Lack of professional maturity?

Complacency?

Apathy?

Poor work ethic?

Improper prioritization?

Lack of professional maturity?

Complacency?

Apathy?

Ya I know but that was in respone to what Bware said. Tottaly Dumb I would not draft him.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Ya I know but that was in respone to what Bware said. Tottaly Dumb I would not draft him.

I dunno, man. He's got the potential be as prolific as Philip Rivers, but with a better delivery. Of course, he'd have to prove himself to be somewhat intelligent.

Per Rotoworld:

The Panthers have joined the agents for Ryan Mallett in disputing multiple reports that Mallett skipped his April 9 team meeting with Carolina after a late night out on the town in Charlotte.

We don't know what to believe these days. It's worth keeping in mind, though, that the Panthers have nothing to gain from disseminating bad information about Mallett, and every reason to keep his draft stock stable because they won't be selecting him next week. Per the Panthers, Mallett had "been sick all night with nausea" after his April 8 dinner with club officials.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

More pre-draft bullshit reporting. Yellow Journalism at it's finest this time of year.

See? Just what I said in the shoutbox this morning when this first came out. As FartWaffles said, there's so much bullshit reporting this time of year you really can't put any stock into what the media reports; it's all about the tape.

A team who wants Mallet probably started this rumor in all honesty.

You never know which side to believe with this crap, but it still doesn't change anything for me about Mallett. I still get that immature punk vibe from him. I think he's (QB talent wise) the best QB in the draft and is most NFL ready, but I get that feeling he's gonna fuck all that talent away by being a dumbass.

I could be wrong and I really really do hope I am...I'd love to see this kid stay on the straight and narrow and have a HOF career. :shrug:

We'll see.

You never know which side to believe with this crap, but it still doesn't change anything for me about Mallett. I still get that immature punk vibe from him. I think he's (QB talent wise) the best QB in the draft and is most NFL ready, but I get that feeling he's gonna fuck all that talent away by being a dumbass.

I wouldn't put much past Mallett to do something like this, but I'm sure he has a hundred people keeping him in line until he puts his signature on the contract. I've mentioned plenty of run-ins I've had with him where he was a complete douchebag, but he gets paid to play.. not be cool.