Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Nighthawks draft LB Mark Herzlich

Per Rotoworld:

Boston College LB Mark Herzlich was selected with the 51st overall pick in Monday's United Football League draft.

He went to the Omaha Nighthawks. The UFL has proposed that undrafted rookies like Herzlich prepare themselves for the NFL by playing in their league until roughly October. By that time, they will have gained some pro-style football experience and would be theoretically more prepared. Players like Herzlich's best bet, if possible, is still to get into an NFL summer camp.

Source: Darren Rovell on Twitter

I personally don't think he's going to join the UFL, because some team(s) are definitely going to be interested in signing him once free agency gets started up again. Though it is nice to know that someone is interested in him. I still think it's crazy that he went undrafted in the NFL.

I'm glad that the UFL is really starting to pick at the NFL lockout. Going after these undrafted players is huge, and at the very least it should start threatening the NFL back into play. The only way the NFL can lose this battle is not to compete.

I'm glad that the UFL is really starting to pick at the NFL lockout. Going after these undrafted players is huge, and at the very least it should start threatening the NFL back into play. The only way the NFL can lose this battle is not to compete.

Totally agree with ya there Razor. :thumbup:

Just for kicks, here is a list of other notable players who were drafted by the UFL...

Source: 2011 UFL Draft Results

Hartford Colonials - Jerrod Johnson: QB, Texas A&M (#1 overall)

Omaha Nighthawks - Jeremiah Masoli: QB, Oregon/Mississippi (#38 overall)

Las Vegas Locomotives - Mario Fannin: RB, Auburn (#46 overall)

Virginia Destroyers - Jeff Maehl: WR, Oregon (#52 overall)

He is a bit undersized by Paysinger should use this to get into the NFL. He is a great tackler and hits with pop. Average speed but rarely misses once he does get there. Good to see Maehl and Colvin get drafted here to and a lesser degree Masoli

Edited by Rodgers2Driver

They said on Total Access on NFLN last night that Herzlich has said that he isn't going to play in the UFL or the Nighthawks even though they "drafted" him. He wants to play in the NFL and that he is gonna wait until a team can sign him.

Edited by BucD