Sign in to follow this  
KiLaSix9

Should teams ban social media?

Interesting topic I saw on ESPN's 1st take. Basically stemming from Rashard Mendenhall's recent twitter comments about Osama. The concept is simple. Should NFL teams ban players from using social media like twitter?

Now on one said, you might say a team simply CANT ban a player from expressing themselves. It's basically taking away their freedom of speech. However, a player represents his team, city and teammates. Anytime any of them make a comment of that magnitude, the organization is put into an uncomfortable situation.

Maybe they could simply ban players from using social media during the regular season or once camp begins.

What do you guys think?

This is taking away a player's freedom of speech. I think a rule such as "You are not allowed to verify your accounts as yours" would be sufficient.

This is taking away a player's freedom of speech. I think a rule such as "You are not allowed to verify your accounts as yours" would be sufficient.

Happens all over the country. Once you reach certain ranks in some companies, there's a big list of things you cannot do without getting demoted because you now represent the company. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I think if an NFL team wanted to institute this policy it would be well within their rights.

It's not freedom of speech if it harms the company, then it's defamation. Which is illegal.

It would suck for me as a writer, I'd have VERY VERY limited access to the players.

"There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth."

Basically Libel defamation is really hard to prove.

Basically, the first amendment and freedom of speech and all that only apply to the government. The government isn't allowed to make a rule that censors someone, but anyone or anything else can.

Woo just coming from Journalism exam.

Interesting.

So one's right to freedom of speech only protects them from government censorship? NFL teams are the employers and like Stevo mentioned earlier, most big corporations do have rules and regulations about these types of things.

Basically, the first amendment and freedom of speech and all that only apply to the government. The government isn't allowed to make a rule that censors someone, but anyone or anything else can.

Woo just coming from Journalism exam.

If that were true, LAX would've been able to ban people from handing out religious shit at their airport.

LAX is owned by the city of Los Angeles, so any rules there are made by the government.

No. This is stupid. Players can say whatever they want... but they sure as hell better be ready to suffer the consequences of speaking their mind.

Yeah I agree with Favre. While players could give their teams bad publicity, I think its worse publicity to not allow them to at all. Interestingly enough, the Sabres used to have a "no tweet" rule under the old ownership, but it has since been repealed. I don't know if any of the players have gone back to the site though.

Players shouldn't be banned from using social media, they just need to remember they are athletes and shut their fucking mouths.

The players should have their freedom to use social media, but they should look at this situation as a perfect example as to why they should be very careful as to what say to the entire public/media.

Per NFL.com:

Mendenhall loses endorsement deal over bin Laden tweets

Rashard Mendenhall's candid tweets about Osama bin Laden's death and the 9/11 terror attacks cost him an endorsement deal.

Athletic apparel manufacturer Champion announced Thursday that it had dropped the Pittsburgh Steelers running back after he questioned the celebrations of bid Laden's death and expressed his uncertainty over official accounts of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in New York, suburban Washington and Pennsylvania.

Spokesman Matt Hall told USA Today that the company was "ending our business relationship" with Mendenhall because it didn't believe he "can appropriately represent Champion." Mendenhall had endorsed the company since 2008 and signed a four-year contract with it earlier this year.

Mendenhall responded Monday on Twitter to the joy greeting last weekend's announcement that a U.S. military team had killed bin Laden in a Pakistani mansion. He first tweeted, "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE and man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side...," and followed with tweets questioning what really happened -- "I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style" -- and encouraging his followers on the social platform to "think."

A firestorm of controversy erupted around Mendenhall, who on Wednesday clarified and apologized for the tweets.

That didn't stop Mendenhall from losing his endorsement deal with Champion, which released this statement:

"Champion is a strong supporter of the government's efforts to fight terrorism and is very appreciative of the dedication and commitment of the U.S. Armed Forces. Earlier this week, Rashard Mendenhall, who endorses Champion products, expressed personal comments and opinions regarding Osama bin Laden and the September 11 terrorist attacks that were inconsistent with the values of the Champion brand and with which we strongly disagreed. In light of these comments, Champion was obliged to conduct a business assessment to determine whether Mr. Mendenhall could continue to effectively communicate on behalf of and represent Champion with consumers. While we respect Mr. Mendenhall's right to express sincere thoughts regarding potentially controversial topics, we no longer believe that Mr. Mendenhall can appropriately represent Champion and we have notified Mr. Mendenhall that we are ending our business relationship. Champion has appreciated its association with Mr. Mendenhall during his early professional football career and found him to be a dedicated and conscientious young athlete. We sincerely wish him all the best."

The problem is a lot of guys aren't mature and responsible enough to 'watch what the say'. On ESPN they talked about being consistent with sending players to symposiums on behavior and lifestyle outside of football.

That could help but then again it has to be consistent enough and the players ultimately have to give a fuck.

I think players just need to be reminded that use of twitter and other social media puts their thoughts in a public forum so they should treat it as they would any public appearance, basically don't put anything on twitter you wouldn't say on ESPN, I think if players could get into that sort of mindset you wouldn't see nearly as many questionable tweets, but as Kila said, it ultimately comes down to the players taking responsibility.

Also, well done Champion for hitting Mendenhall where it hurts, losing sponsorships is a pretty big deal.