Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

No more trips on the Gus Bus

Gus Johnson parts ways with CBS

The patron saint of March Madness buzzer-beaters will not be calling the NCAA tournament next year.

SI.com has learned that CBS recently parted ways with Gus Johnson, a play-by-play mainstay on its college basketball coverage for 16 years, after the two sides could not agree on a new deal. Johnson has also worked as a play-by-play voice for the network's NFL coverage since 1998.

Johnson's animated style and signature calls at the conclusion of tournament games earned him cult status among younger college basketball fans. During his decade and a half with CBS, Johnson also called college football, track and field, boxing and the 1998 Winter Olympics.

Johnson's marketing agent, Christian Gesue, declined to comment.

Johnson will work Showtime's pay-per-view coverage of Saturday's Manny Pacquiao-Shane Mosley fight. He has called college basketball for the Big Ten Network for the past two years.

The announcer was one of the candidates for the NFL Network's play-by-play job on its eight-game Thursday night package. The network announced today that longtime ESPN announcer Brad Nessler had landed the assignment.

Industry sources said Johnson has spoken with Fox Sports about a role in its college football coverage. Fox Sports (which has a 49 percent ownership share in the Big Ten Network) recently upped its inventory of college football as part of the 12-year, $3 billion contract between the Pac-10 (soon to be the Pac-12) and ESPN and Fox. The two networks will carry a combined 44 regular-season football games on ESPN and Fox broadcast or national cable networks, along with 68 men's basketball games. They will alternate televising the Pac-12 football championship game and the men's basketball tournament.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

This is good news as Gus is most likely headed to Fox.....thus trimming down on the Joe Buck calls.

This is good news as Gus is most likely headed to Fox.....thus trimming down on the Joe Buck calls.

Even though I like Buck more than most, Gus going to FOX would be epic.

I'd never watch another game on Fox again.

Word.

As if FOX telecasts didn't suck enough already....

According to the New York Daily News, excitable sports broadcaster Gus Johnson has officially left CBS Sports and is headed to FOX Sports.

Johnson, who has become a fan favorite calling NFL and basketball games due to his penchant for getting caught up in big moments, will call NFL and Pac-12 football games for FOX. The move became official after CBS reportedly declined to match FOX’s offer.

For a reminder of Johnson’s style, check out the video above. It was his call of last season’s Week 10 Hail Mary touchdown pass from David Garrard to Mike Thomas at the end of regulation in the Jacksonville Jaguars-Houston Texans game.

SOURCE: NFL.com

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You guys serious? Gus brings much needed energy to the Fox booths. Joe Buck could be witnessing history, and his attitude and demeanor wouldn't change. Talk about annoying.

Love this. Football on FOX just got so much better.

• Upvote 1

You guys serious? Gus brings much needed energy to the Fox booths. Joe Buck could be witnessing history, and his attitude and demeanor wouldn't change. Talk about annoying.

No kidding. When the Red Sox beat the Yankees in 2004, his delivery was so annoying.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by trimming down the Buck calls. Buck will still be the main guy at FOX so he'll still do the headline games. Nothing will be trimmed. Gus will probably at most be the #3 guy there. FOX got a good announcer and CBS lost a good one.

Apparently some people don't like their football games exciting. :shrug:

Apparently some people don't like their football games exciting. :shrug:

What does an announcer SCREAMING through the headset have to do with exciting? :shrug:

WHAT IF I STARTED TYPING IN ALL CAPS IN EVERY SINGLE THREAD? WOULD THAT MAKE ME AN EXCITING POSTER?! HUH? WOULD IT?! WOULD IIITTTTT?!?!

Edited by FSUViking
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't get excited, I fixed your caps lock.

What does an announcer SCREAMING through the headset have to do with exciting? :shrug:

WHAT IF I STARTED TYPING IN ALL CAPS IN EVERY SINGLE THREAD? WOULD THAT MAKE ME AN EXCITING POSTER?! HUH? WOULD IT?! WOULD IIITTTTT?!?!

Getting excited for big time moments and for big plays in the game should be expected. It makes it seem like he's actually excited about the game rather than just there to collect a paycheck, which is what it seems a lot of commentators are doing these days.

A lot of these guys aren't as boisterous as they probably used to be because their job is safe. But you don't get to the big time by being monotone all the way through.

Does he SOMETIMES (not every single time like you seem to entail) get over excited? Sure. But I'd rather that than have a guy who just acts like someone is going to the grocery store than history is unfolding right before his eyes. The calls are sometimes what makes the plays all the more historic.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

No because your words don't make a Gus Johnson sound.

Getting excited for big time moments and for big plays in the game should be expected. It makes it seem like he's actually excited about the game rather than just there to collect a paycheck, which is what it seems a lot of commentators are doing these days.

A lot of these guys aren't as boisterous as they probably used to be because their job is safe. But you don't get to the big time by being monotone all the way through.

Does he SOMETIMES (not every single time like you seem to entail) get over excited? Sure. But I'd rather that than have a guy who just acts like someone is going to the grocery store than history is unfolding right before his eyes. The calls are sometimes what makes the plays all the more historic.

Exactly.

To each his own I guess, but if the commentator is excited and showing emotion, just by nature it will get me more into the game. In any sport, the commentating can almost make or break the viewing experience.

For example, who wouldn't want to watch a soccer game with Ray Hudson commentating?

The problem is that he doesn't just get excited during the big plays, he often screams about things that aren't really that exciting.

Still, it is hilarious listening to him.