Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Anyone have any "alternative" TV options?

I've had enough of the anal fuckage that Comcast gives me every month and am considering alternative TV methods like Boxee, Apple TV, or Roku. Anybody ever try these or hear anything about them? Roku and Boxee look like better options with all their apps and stuff.

Other than sports, I haven't watched a "live" TV program in over a year. I download all my shows right onto my computer, use Netflix or Hulu. What's the sense in paying $100+ a month for cable when i don't even use it?

I'm doing exactly this right now FSU. I have a Roku in my master bedroom that I'm testing out with hopes of cutting the cable soon. It's a simple, small box that has a number of different 'channels' you can choose from. I mostly watch Hulu Plus and Netflix on it with a dabble of Crackle. It works great.

The only thing I'm going to miss, when I do cancel DirectTV, is the NFL Network and ESPN. Will need to hook a box up to stream live feeds or something.

I'm doing exactly this right now FSU. I have a Roku in my master bedroom that I'm testing out with hopes of cutting the cable soon. It's a simple, small box that has a number of different 'channels' you can choose from. I mostly watch Hulu Plus and Netflix on it with a dabble of Crackle. It works great.

The only thing I'm going to miss, when I do cancel DirectTV, is the NFL Network and ESPN. Will need to hook a box up to stream live feeds or something.

CNET gave the slight nod to Roku XDS over Boxee. ALthough it appears you can jailbreak AppleTV and combine forces with Boxee. Damn....I'm really tempted to do this shit today! And then I can up my Internet speed with the savings from ditching the cable.