Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Ike Taylor intends to test open market

Free agent cornerback Ike Taylor "fully intends" to test the open market whenever the transactions freeze is finally lifted. The word comes from a "source with knowledge of the situation." The consensus this offseason has been that Taylor will be back in Pittsburgh, particularly after the Steelers did not take a cornerback in the first two rounds of the draft. However, it doesn't sound like he's prepared to give his long-time club any sort of a discount.

Source: Pro Football Talk: Twitter.com

Per Rotoworld.com:

Free agent Ike Taylor strongly indicated on The Jim Rome Show Wednesday that he fully intends to test the open market.

Taylor feels "under-appreciated" in Pittsburgh, and is tired of getting little national recognition for being such a good corner. We wouldn't argue with that. While the Pittsburgh newspapers have treated Taylor's return as a foregone conclusion, it makes much more sense that he'd try to max out his market at age 31. Rome asked Taylor if he's willing to take a hometown discount. "No," he replied. "I gotta get that market value." May 18, 4:57 PM

I'm sure the Texans might even overpay him just to have a veteran presence in the secondary, but for all we know this could be Ike Taylor testing the market in order to make Pittsburgh pay him more than initially expected.

He knows how to cover is fast and is good in run support hes just got to learn to catch the ball.

I'm sure the Texans might even overpay him just to have a veteran presence in the secondary, but for all we know this could be Ike Taylor testing the market in order to make Pittsburgh pay him more than initially expected.

I think he would be a great acquisition for the Texans, and he would come cheaper than a guy like Aso. I'd be all over that if I was Houston.

Guest MikeyDay

I hope we try to sign him if not Aso. Hes a good corner who is underrated bcuz of his stats. Really, if he had catching hands, hed be in the 5-10 int range every year.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette still "strongly" believes Ike Taylor will re-sign with the Steelers after the free agent made it clear Wednesday that he will test the open market.

Taylor changed course on national TV Wednesday after telling local media that he wants to return to Pittsburgh. "That appearance was so obviously set up by his people to show that Taylor would be willing to go elsewhere if the Steelers do not pony up," writes Bouchette. The Steelers are going to have to pay upwards of $6-7 million per over at least three years. May 20, 11:01 AM

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

*Edit* - Double post.

Edited by BLUE